Losing weight when i don't need to - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Beginner

So i have been veggie for almost 8 months now and have had no problems with my weight. Am short just 5'3 and i was 125 three months ago now i lost ten pounds in three months. Which for me is fast it took me three years to put on the 25 pounds to get me over 100. I just started a new job as a primate keeper at a wildlife park so my work has been more physical this three months. While i was at home at my parents we check my weight for my suite case so i stepped on my moms scale and saw i was less than i was last time i stepped on me. 

I think am not getting enough calories to subsiain the more physical work am doing. What i need is any suggestions on what i need to eat to do that. I have no clue how to up my calories but just eat more. Here is what i eat normally. 

Breakfast

oatmeal with can fruit and a bagel with cream cheese

or cerel with fruit

or grits eggs and toast

lunch 

rice                   

mac and cheese 

pasta salad 

with fruit snacks fruit yourget crackers

dinner

a veggie 

beans or rice or patatos 

sometimes mac and cheese 

i try to eat a snack when i get home from work and one before i go to bed so its a gronal bar fruit yourget crackers chips. any tips on more calories would be great Thanks.

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Do you like nuts? Peanut butter? Hummus? Avocados? All of these have healthy fats that can help. Also cooking the veg in some olive oil can help. :-)
#3 Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Ugh. You don't need to eat fatty foods to increase your calories.

You're listing foods, much of which seems to be junk foods, but not listing quantities. It sounds like you may have just eliminated the meat out of your diet, but kept the rest relatively the same. You'll have to replace the calories you use to get with meat with other foods, generally plant-foods are lower calorie so you'll have to eat more (in terms of bulk) than you may be use to.

But 115 is a perfectly healthy weight for someone that is 5'3".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 AM

Unless you have changed your eating habits, (whether or not for weight loss) or your lifestyle is a lot less inactive, you should talk with a doctor. Many different things can consummate weight loss, including diabetes, hormonal change hyperthyroidism and gastrointestinal disorders. So many other factors are involved you need a professional opinion.

#5 Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 AM

Unless you have changed your eating habits, (whether or not for weight loss) or your lifestyle is a lot less inactive, you should talk with a doctor. Many different things can consummate weight loss, including diabetes, hormonal change hyperthyroidism and gastrointestinal disorders. So many other factors are involved you need a professional opinion.

#6 Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Banned

Having a more physical job can result in weight loss for sure.

Looking at your example daily meals I would say you are most likely not eating enough daily calories.  And for sure that you need to eat way more vegetables.

Here are some suggestions:

-Add a green smoothie to your breakfast meal (some kind of greens like spinach or kale plus a fruit or two at least).

-Add a salad to your lunch meal and try switching out the pasta dishes for other whole grains like brown rice or wheat bread.

-Snack on nuts, trail mix, peanut butter and crackers, avocado and tortilla chips, half a pb sandwich

-Add more vegetables to your dinner meal and a raw salad.

#7 Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Beginner

I do agree with what everyone of you are saying. Yes i know more physical a job the chance of loseing weight i expected some and yes i know more calories because of the extra actitivy. Yes i do eat alot of veggies salads veggies in eggs just plain raw veggies at lunch and a veggie every night at dinner. I was in a hurry and just listed what i could think of then. I do know 115 is normal for me but my main worry is right now am only working 7 to 8 hour days come march we up to 10 plus hour days. Combine that with summer heat has me worried. Along with the fact i have blood sugar issues that get worse when i weighed less in the past. I do know eating more will help but more of what? Just everything? 

I really need some advice as am already having problems with my blood sugar dropping. It happened yesterday at work and i almost had to be sent  home. If anyone has had this problem and knows how to help i would love to hear it. Am at a lost with it but just eating more or getting protein bars and eating one at work. I've already upped my breakfast amounts when i started working and my lunch amount. Am just worried about loseing more weight as time goes on. Am coming up on 8 months as veggie and have had no problems at all with blood sugar or weight and now it just starts. Anyone have ad suggestions beside eat more calories or eat more please tell me. 

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#8 Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Beginner

Oh i forgot to add snacking at work isnt a option really. Am to busy or am to gross to even think about touching something that am going to eat. I wash my hands like crazy for lunch and a sink isnt always around. 

#9 Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by everblue1037 View Post

Oh i forgot to add snacking at work isnt a option really. Am to busy or am to gross to even think about touching something that am going to eat. I wash my hands like crazy for lunch and a sink isnt always around. 

I know it might be hard, I can only imagine how gross you get :P, but if your sugar is dropping then you need to eat something. That's the only solution to what you're feeling when you experience those sugar drops. You feel them because your body is running on empty. You have to fill up the tank, there's no if/ands/buts about it.

One option is to bring a salad or something to work along with your own knife and fork. I have my own because I'm a little picky about using the work utensils, as I work with omnis, that way your hands aren't directly touching what you eat.

If that's too difficult/too much work to get clean even to use a knife and fork, then I'd suggest a shake or a smoothie being brought to work. Keep it in the fridge. Give it a shake and then slurp it down. Shakes can contain pretty much anything you like and I'm sure the raw foodists have loads of healthy shake recipes for you. My favourite to make includes orange juice, goji berries, chia seeds and maybe some spinach (it's not for everyone's taste though, not overly sweet)

Protein shakes would be something you might want to consider as well.

I did that when I started running again, to maintain my weight (like you, it takes me ages to put on weight. I know, everyone is jealous, but it's a huge pain. Literally, less padding equals more pain when I hit my knee/leg/hand/various other body parts against something.). I would have a protein shake as well as lunch. There's plenty out there that are vegan and vegetarian friendly and there was only just a thread started with some suggestions for protein powders-

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/138392/protein-powder#post_3207414

Aside from eating through the day, I'd also recommend bumping up your carb intake? That's the other thing I do when in training. That was the only way I managed to ensure my bodyweight was staying somewhere near where it needed to be.

Hope that helps, keep us informed!

#10 Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for info thats helpful i thought i wasnt going to get any. Am trying to up my food intake and so far this week it has worked. I hope it works. 

#11 Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:

Breakfast

or cerel with fruit

or grits eggs and toast

lunch 

rice                   

mac and cheese 

pasta salad 

dinner

a veggie 

beans or rice or patatos 

sometimes mac and cheese 

Your diet chart having fat related vegitable like potato,cheese,rice,eggs etc....You are reducing fat are gaining  fat through  Vegitable?

It's Ways to pass a drug test http://www.passusa.com/

#12 Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:

Breakfast

or cerel with fruit

or grits eggs and toast

lunch 

rice                   

mac and cheese 

pasta salad 

dinner

a veggie 

beans or rice or patatos 

sometimes mac and cheese 

Your diet chart so heavy It seems like you are gaining  weight through Vegitable.

It's Ways to pass a drug test http://www.passusa.com/

#13 Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

For not loosing weight you have to study your daily activities,
rather than including fatty food in to your diet list try to cover your daily loss of calories through the eating healthy food not any junk food or fast food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.bharatbook.com/countryReports.asp
#14 Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 AM

Thanks for the detailed information which is really helpful and necessary too.

#15 Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM

Physical exercises and controlled diet can help in weight loss.

#16 Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM

i try to eat a treats when i get home from work and one before i go to bed so its a gronal bar fruits yourget biscuits snacks, If you are obese and out of health and fitness and health....

Abraham123

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page