Calling all hamsters!! Week # 68 Ending 04/10/04 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Please do all posting here and let the other thread go!

Mission: The VeggieBoards Hamster Club is a group of fitness/health minded vegans and vegetarians who support each other in their endeavors in fitness, diet, and health. Anyone who chooses can post to this thread. There are no dues or fees, just a desire to share our efforts and support one another.

Good luck hamsters!!! Let's have a great week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still all sore from practicing my punches a couple of days ago (damn me for not taking the time to cool down!), and I couldn't face doing anything involving weights or toning this morning. I went for Rosemary Conley's Ultimate Fatburner video again - level one, highest intensity - 30 mins.

Happy hamstering, everyone!
#3 Old 04-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got done with 35 minutes on the elliptical trainer. My heart rate was above 160 the whole time. Woohoo!

Let's make this one the best week ever, hamsters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I did my yoga and upper body weights this morning... good luck hamsters!
#5 Old 04-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I worked for a guy I know from work, helping him and his wife pack and move boxes, and I hurt my back a little. I'm counting yesterday as exercise and today, taking it easy.
#6 Old 04-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I walked a mile with Filo today. Some kid asked me if he bites, and I told him "not too hard." Heh.
#7 Old 04-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I went running on Thursday, just an easy mile and a half or so to Whole Foods, and this entire weekend my shins have been killing me I took yesterday off because of it, hopefully it won't impact me today
#8 Old 04-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey hamsters.

A rough 18 miler today. Slow time too.

Around mile 3.5 I had to take care of some business and my dad ran ahead but then I got stuck behind a train that stopped in the middle of the tracks! Luckily, I only had to go about a 1/4 mile to run around it. Then, at mile 12 or so, we got stuck behind yet another train! Lucikly, that one only took about 5 minutes. The trains were working against us today. I should have known I was in trouble when I got dead legs after 7 miles or so. Oh well. We still made it through and I can still move a couple of hours later.

Nice hamstering brownie, christy, bobsy, rainbowmoon, cissy, and Oconfusedone!
#9 Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I dusted my TaeBo tapes off and that was a really good work out in it's self........ Kick, kick...punch, punch! Shuuuuuzzzz!
#10 Old 04-04-2004, 08:20 PM

Today for me-

walking, 1/2 hour

full body strength circuit, 20 minutes

treadmill running intervals, 1/2 hour

stretching, 10 minutes

#11 Old 04-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Hamsters,

14 mile run today ...but now I'm wiped out.

Welcome to the Hamsters Dr.Schmeebis

Bobsy, thanks for starting the thread today, I was busy all day.

OCO, I've never checked my heart rate, I suppose I should...is 160 good? Is there a chart or something to let you know where you should be at?

Cissy,

rainbowmoon, I helped some friends move a couple months ago...that is a workout

brownieB, Don't run through shin pain...that would be very bad! You should only do low impact till the pain is gone.

Captain, sorry you had a rough run...still, 18 miles woohoo! My 14 was pretty good, I felt great till the 12th mile...then the last two seemed to take forever. How long do you cool down? I walked a half mile after but I'm wondering if that is enough?

kathym, That's great! Way to get back into the Hamster groove.

Flower!!! So nice to see you! Great Hamstering!

Go Hamsters!!!
#12 Old 04-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Sky
Veggie Regular

14 mile bike ride today. Wow Slynny, you ran what I rode! You and CaptainSwab are doing great with the running.

Flower and KathyM - good to see you back!

BrownieB26 - sorry to hear about the shins. Ouch! Hope they feel better soon. Take it easy.
#13 Old 04-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

my mom got this picture in her e-mail today and i *had* to post it! made me think of something slynny would have for an avatar or something
#14 Old 04-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Mayuko, slynny has posted that as her avator before.

I think that blinkered had it up as an avator for awhile there too.

Thats funny.

Slynny, I probably don't cool down as much as I should. To get to the gym we start out from we have to cross an intersection so usually we do some wondering around by the light and then we kind of limp to the gym where they usually have some oranges or something out for the runners. Then we do some more wondering around while eating oranges and then go in to strech. Thats about it. Are you doing these long runs alone or is your husband training with you? Its a long way on your own...
#15 Old 04-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I didn't know there was a fitness club on here! Awesome!

Anyways, this is my first time posting here. I've beeing doing weight training for a couple months now, though I haven't gotten really into it until recently. Last week I got bored of my teen magazine work-out schedule and designed my own. Yesterday I did my lower body (ugh, I hate squats!) and today I did my upper body. I think we have a barbell and some weights lying around somehwere, so tomorrow I'm gonna go find them! Yay, I'm excited to try it!

Oh and I actually have a question. Are you supposed to eat more when you're doing strength training? Should I increase my protein intake?

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#16 Old 04-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Just did my yoga. Way to go everyone!

Starblossom - Welcome!
#17 Old 04-05-2004, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I started off my week yesterday with some lower body weights and about an hour of skateboarding, which I don't think would usually be much exercise, but when you're really bad at it you have to work kinda hard.

Today's plan: upper body, run, stretch.

I need a super-good hamstering week to make up for last week! Yikes!

Great start, everyone!
#18 Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

slynny - You're supposed to subtract your age from 220, and that's your maximum heart rate. When you're working out, you should aim to have your heart rate between 55% and 85% of your max heart rate. Or something like that.

to all the runners - You guys are INCREDIBLE. Keep it up!!

starblossom - that depends on how much you're eating as it is, and what your goals are. If you want to lose weight, then you need to create about a 500-calorie deficit a day, so if you burn 300 calories, you have to eat 200 calories less than usual. If you want to maintain your weight, then you probably should eat a little more. I think high-protein diets are overrated. As long as you get about 50-70 grams a day, you'll be fine unless you're an olympic athlete. In general, just try to read your body's signals. If you're hungry, eat, if you're not, then don't. And welcome to the Hamsters!

Mskedi - I wish I was coordinated enough to skateboard.

I just got back from a 45 minute step class. INTENSE. Followed by 100 pushups go me. I have an hour of tae kwon do later today.

I LOVE SPRING BREAK!!
#19 Old 04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Tamilee Webb: I Want That Body - total body toning - 27 min (skipped 2nd warmup)

treadmill - 32:46 min, 2 miles, 3.5/4/5 mph - incline and speed intervals

slynny - 14 miles is amazing.

Cissy, I should follow your lead and do more yoga. My hamstrings would thank me.

Great start everyone!
#20 Old 04-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

OConfusedOne -- I'm not coordinated enough! Therein lies the problem.. I asked my students for some tips today, though.

Christy -- sounds like a great workout!

Me today: I ran for 35 minutes, then walked another 30 briskly. I made a cameo in a dance class (we're talking about 15 minutes) because I was dropping off some music for my sister, and I'm about to do my weights and yoga.
#21 Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Hamsters,

Uhmmm, I didn't get a workout in today...running around to much, and I had to go into the city and it took up most of the day. Blah!

Sky, a 14 mile bike ride is so great, I hope to do one someday.

mayuko, Hehehehe! well thanks for thinking of me...it's probably because I did use that as an avatar for a while...and so did blinkered...I used to think he was me Nice to see you again!

Captain, I've done some long runs with him but for the most part I do them alone...yes it's boring. I'm realizing I will need some help as I go longer, like water, or a sports drink. So if he doesn't come with me he might have to ride his bike and meet me somewhere. Besides, a really long run with him might kill me...hehehe.

Starblossom, Welcome to the Hamsters

Cissy, way to go!

Mskedi, hope you have a great week!

OCO, Thanks for that...I'll have to check it out!

christy, great work! what about the weights?

Yay Hamsters!!!
#22 Old 04-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

slynny - Oh yeah, the video is weights, lunges, squats, chair dips, etc. There's even a tricep exercise where you kind of lay on your side and push yourself up at an odd angle. Seems to be a good challenge. I usually use 10 lb dumbells for biceps and 8 lb for most everything else.

It's not a major problem, but the shin pain while walking fast or jogging makes me want to look into orthotics. The cost scares me, as I've heard it can be quite expensive. Are there any inexpensive alternatives? Luckily it dissipates once I slow down or stop.

Mskedi, thanks! Same to you.
#23 Old 04-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

christy, O' sorry I didn't realize the video incoroporated weights...sounds like the same I use too.

With regards to the orthotics, I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you really want to start running or power walking big time then yes, I would think the cost is worth it, because if your shins hurt every time you exercise or everytime you exercise hard, you are injuring yourself unnessesarily. I'll pm you with the info of the place I purchased mine from, and some other info on other places.
#24 Old 04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

haha! go figure
#25 Old 04-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Christy, I found a good pair of orthotics for $179. It was at the LA marathon race expo. They are usually much more expensive than that, but if you you go to an event such as a marathon expo, they have them for much cheaper. Anybody can go to these events (the ones around here) and the only additional cost I have come across is parking. I have major stability control on my second ankle on my feet (don't ask) so hopefully these will help. It'll help prevent long term problems.

Slynny, sometimes I have my husband ride along on the bike too or meet me places if I end up going for a long run on my own. It helps. Plus you don't have to carry your extra water or find a route with a water fountain to refuel your bottle.

2 mile walk today to test out my orthodics.

Great work hamsters!
#26 Old 04-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Sky
Veggie Regular

Welcome Starblossom!

Yesterday I walked 5 miles and biked 15 miles. This morning I walked 3 miles and I may bike later.
#27 Old 04-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Just got back from a toning class. Not as intense as the ones we do at tae kwon do, but still. Oogh. We did about 150 pushups (on our knees but after about 50 you stop noticing the difference), a bunch of plank-ey stuff, and these horribly wonderful glute exercises that go on forever and are just SO painful. Glory.

YEY HAMSTERS!!!!!
#28 Old 04-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Rosemary Conley's Whole Body Workout video today - 45 mins.

And I almost touched my toes for the first time ever! I've never in my life been able to touch my toes, and today I tried and my fingers brushed against my toes!! I don't know why my hamstrings are so tight. Also, it could be something to do with my long legs/short body. My bf is a whole foot taller than me, but when we stand side by side our hips are level

Great work, hamsters! Keep it up!
#29 Old 04-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

5 mile run. My orthodic gave my left foot a blister though. Ugg.

Doing great everyone!
#30 Old 04-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Ouch. Pretty soon there'll be an orthotic forum here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page