Advised to start drinking coffee? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM

My doctor, whilst impressed with my excellent bloodwork, has suggested I drink a cup of coffee in the mornings to ease the headaches I've started waking up with lately. I thought maybe it was the pillow ( that I haven't changed for years and never bothered me before ) or hunger ( but my dinners see me through just fine ) but she feels it's just low blood pressure and that a cup of coffee in the morning would balance it out.

I don't drink coffee! I do like the taste and am willing to start but is this a bad idea? Has anybody else STARTED drinking coffee for health reasons? Is it bad for you?
Not into labelling foods but still...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa, never heard that one before!

I had always had naturally low blood pressure, and once decided to give up adding salt to foods. My doctor told me to start, because it dropped quite a bit. I had always had coffee in the mornings, though.

I'd get another opinion. Coffee doesn't "balance" anything, it would only effect you after drinking.

I will say, when I get a really bad headache, black coffee does open the blood vessels, along with aspirin. Those are the ingrediants in OTC migraine pills--caffeine, aspirin, and, I think, either acetominiphin or ibuprophen.

I'd get a new pillow first! I did, and it's amazing! Long, and squishy.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

If anything, maybe try green tea?  Or working out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM

Thankyou! 

Penny, I drink tea in the morning and the afternoon ( green tea makes me sick for some reason! Some sorts of black do as well. Very sad! ) and I work out a little ( less than I used to. Now it's mainly walking, the occasional jog and yoga. Trying to slow down after a hectic decade ! ). 

Silva, I'll look into the pillow thing, thanks! Although it hasn't changed and I didn't used to wake up with these so i doubt it's that. I eat a fair bit of salt already but maybe I should increase? 
And yup, coffee always helps my headaches ( I used to get migraines but when I ditched the dairy they went away ) .. maybe I SHOULD give this a whirl irrelevant of the mechanisms behind it ( blood vessels / blood pressure etc ) . I just don't want to be sleepless. The rest I can tolerate but after being an insomniac til this year I refuse to give up sleep! 

Guess I won't know til I try, eh? 

:) 

#5 Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 PM

As a side note though I should add that different strokes seem to work for different folks and I'm an absolute junky for dark chocolate but more than a very small amount makes me feel a lot more jittery, nauseous and sleepless than my rare cups of coffee do. 
Life's weird like that. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page