Your Favourite Non-Pill/Capsule Food Supplements? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate having to down pills and capsules and always seem to 'forget' them when I've bought something that seemed a good idea at the time. Lately I've started opting for supplements in the form of oils, juices and powders instead, as I can add them to food and consume directly.

Currently I've got a bottle of Evening Primrose Oil and a tub of Lecithin Granules which I add to breakfast Banana Shake and cereal, both good my my wee brain.

I also like Brewers Yeast powder to add to salads, soups & vegetable juices for the B vits and other goodies.

Recently I've ordered some Acia berry juice as it's supposed to be chock full of antioxidants as well as the other stuff about increased energy.

Anyone else prefer supplements in this type of form?

Any recommendations?

What do you like to use, and why?

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds a lot more complicated to me than taking a vegan capsule!

My first pregnancy I took brewers yeast in OJ -only time I could stand it! I've never heard of brewers yeast being fortified with B12 either- just nutritional yeast.

I don't really like nut. yeast much. I like a little bit on things, but not to the extent I'd call it a supplement.

I get b12 from soymilk and gum, and Deva tiny tablets every couple of days.

I take a vegan omega dha- from algae. I don't like seaplants. Tried nori and couldn't figure how anyone could miss fish when they can eat seaweed!

I also take calcium citrate.

I do have a vitamix, and love green smoothies! Now that's a great way to get a days worth of veggies!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I only take b12 and Spirulina.  Honestly, I don't think supplements are all their chocked up to be.  Just eat healthy foods you'll be fine!  Unless taking supplements is recommended by your doctor or nutritionist then you shouldn't have to worry, other than b12.

EDIT:  Those powders are a waste of money in my opinion.  For example those green vegetable powders.  All the stuff in them is super healthy you should eat them but when you take the powder you're usually taking like 1tbsp and how much are you getting out of that?  You're better off just eating the food as you'll be eating a much greater amount thus getting much greater of the benefit.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a multi B vitamin but I keep forgetting to take it.
#5 Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

I don't like pills either, just eat a variety of whole foods and enough calories per day and my nutrient bases are covered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page