How often do you exercise? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: How often do you work out and for what duration of time?
I exercise twice a week. 2 22.22%
I exercise every other day. 4 44.44%
I exercise five days a week. 14 100.00%
I exercise every day. 11 100.00%
I exercise _____ times a week. 3 33.33%
I exercise uninterrupted for 30 minutes a session. 8 88.89%
I exercise uninterrupted for an hour per session. 2 22.22%
I exercise uninterrupted +1 hour per session. 5 55.56%
I eat healthily, I do not need to exercise. 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Beginner

After reading the thread about "fat vegans" I'm curious
how the community here goes about exercising.

Please two choose options and if your workout preferences aren't
listed in the above poll, please share your input in a comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

i usually do 5 days per week, i think it is important to do some on most days.
sometimes that is a 2hour cycling ride, or it might be a 20min run, with an hour of football in the evening.

Variation is good- i would like to try the "Insanity" workout cus yo don't need equipment and it is well reviewed, but i live in uni halls and it would be too loud and embarassing.
#3 Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post

i usually do 5 days per week, i think it is important to do some on most days.
sometimes that is a 2hour cycling ride, or it might be a 20min run, with an hour of football in the evening.

Variation is good- i would like to try the "Insanity" workout cus yo don't need equipment and it is well reviewed, but i live in uni halls and it would be too loud and embarassing.

The other alternative is you get people in your hall interested in
the insanity workout and then they join you. What would be
embarrassing about improving your fitness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

5 days per week of planned exercise (though I still might go for a light hike or leisurely swim on an off day), and my exercise days usually have two workouts. One will be a maximum intensity interval or circuit type workout, often involving skill progression aspects such as a speed or heavy bag, and the other will be less intense core, maximal strength, or isometric training. In addition I may have one or two moderate distance runs per week and sanshou training twice per week.

Routines vary based off current goals. Current focus is the upcoming mtn. warfare school mentioned in another thread. Other recurring goals include semi-annual army fitness tests, sanshou competitions, and upcoming Tough Mudder type events.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#5 Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

It's hard for me to exactly say.

Four days a week I routinely do some stuff that I'd rather not be doing (if I could get away with not doing it at my age without turning into a fat *******), like Pilates and Yoga, but I also voluntarily dance a lot on the week-ends, but rarely on Sundays cos that's my rest and pig-out day. So I guess I exercise six days a week.

m8itcanw8.com
#6 Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I workout 4-5 days a week and do different things each day. Running, spinning, boot camp, weight lifting and sometimes kickboxing are my main workouts. Usually for 45 minutes ... that seems to be my magic number of minutes spent exercising that I can fit in with my busy schedule.

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#7 Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

4 times a week for 1+ hour

School has been a bit of a bother as of lately though, so I haven't worked out as much as I want to.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#8 Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I work out twice a week for about an hour to an hour and a half, including cardio, resistance, weights and streching at the moment. I also walk about 2-3 miles a day most days. Sometimes I like swimming too, or work out DVDs, just depending on what I fancy and if I'm paying for a gym membership.
#9 Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Goal: 5 days/week, hour long sessions, mostly cardio
Reality: 2-3 times per week, 30 min sessions, all cardio
#10 Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

every day.

i don't have a car so i bike everywhere i need to go usual trips are around 8 miles, try for a long ride once a week, also go to the gym 3 days a week, yoga 5 days a week, abs everyday, push ups everyday.
#11 Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I exercise everyday but I am only allowed to walk, so it's pretty low-intensity.
#12 Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiii View Post

The other alternative is you get people in your hall interested in
the insanity workout and then they join you. What would be
embarrassing about improving your fitness?

I don't know really, it shouldn't be embarrassing but I am a pretty anxious kind of guy.
Still, now that I can deal with housemates seeing me all turned out in tight lyrca for cycling it shouldn't be a big deal.
i would definitely like to do it with other people, but knowing me i doubt I will!
#13 Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Ideally I would like to exercise 6 times a week, but have to settle for an average of three times a week I don't really have routines as such its just 2 rugby training sessions a week sometimes 3 that's at uni 2 hours each, and I always go boxing on either Saturday or Sunday, that is very intense and tends to last 2+ hours minimum I also volunteer at my boxing gym to help train young people 6-17 yrs old on Wednesdays and that is usually 4 hours but isn't very intense but I suppose its still exercise and good for the kids keeps them occupied doing something healthy rather than on streets.
#14 Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Four days a week I routinely do some stuff that I'd rather not be doing

About the same for me. Usually its an average of 5 times a week. Sometimes more sometimes less. I try to everyday but things don't always work out. I would rather NEVER exercise if I had a choice, but it's all good for you and crap. It's not something I enjoy or would do if I didn't have to.
#15 Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

About the same for me. Usually its an average of 5 times a week. Sometimes more sometimes less. I try to everyday but things don't always work out. I would rather NEVER exercise if I had a choice, but it's all good for you and crap. It's not something I enjoy or would do if I didn't have to.

I thought you were pretty much anti exercise and didn't bother, i know you don't like sports, so i just erroneously assumed that you wouldn't exercise either. So good for you for bothering, even if you don't enjoy it.

Myself, i exercise 7 days a week, that's when i'm not injured or ill though.
#16 Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

3x a week, lifting
2x a week, circuit training
2-3 x a week, 1-hour runs
3x a week, 20 min. (at least) on bike
3x a week, 20 min. on stepper
every day, walking 15 min. up to 1.5 hours

Hopefully some dancing in there too.

My answer was "every day" and 1+hours, but I do take one day off the circuits, lifting, running, bike, and stepper and just do a walk or something light, just because I'm an active person. I do "believe in" rest days.
#17 Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

I typically don't. I go through phases where I do, then I go months without a consistent workout schedule. Right now, I'm just too busy. I'm commuting almost 2 hours a day and I can't afford to be sore at work. I like to think of my job as a workout though. I'm constantly picking up heavy trays and plates. Plus, I'm constantly on my feet and moving. I only get 1- 30 minute break during my whole shift, no 10's or 15's. I've been on my feet for 9 hours straight before.
#18 Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I exercise everyday but I am only allowed to walk, so it's pretty low-intensity.

My physio said I'm only allowed to do low intensity exercise too and I find it so dull.
#19 Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

3-5 times a week is the goal.....sometimes less due to schedule......yoga, pilates, piloxing, (pilates + boxing), walking, aerobics,biking, (love my bike), spinning,row machine, stepper, treadmill, ect and more.....I like to mixx it up to keep it intresting and to combat my chocolate/sugar/sweets addiction....LOL!!

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#20 Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

4x a week. an hour of cardio then weights

Atame.
#21 Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a care so walk on average 30 mins a day... sometimes I'll only walk 15 mins to the bus stop... sometimes I walk 2-3 hours to the shops + work etc. It depends on weather, mood and time permitting.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#22 Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

I don't have a care so walk on average 30 mins a day... sometimes I'll only walk 15 mins to the bus stop... sometimes I walk 2-3 hours to the shops + work etc. It depends on weather, mood and time permitting.

There can be a bit of a lack of appreciation of simple walking.

At uni, I sometimes walk the hour into town to get my food (or cycle), and people are amazed that i would walk an hour each way instead of paying for the bus. But walking can be great fun, whether with an mp3 player or just one's thoughts.
#23 Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I typically don't. I go through phases where I do, then I go months without a consistent workout schedule. Right now, I'm just too busy. I'm commuting almost 2 hours a day and I can't afford to be sore at work. I like to think of my job as a workout though. I'm constantly picking up heavy trays and plates. Plus, I'm constantly on my feet and moving. I only get 1- 30 minute break during my whole shift, no 10's or 15's. I've been on my feet for 9 hours straight before.

I don't exercise either. Once in a while I will go for a walk of a couple miles as I use to be an avid walker/jogger and will get back to it eventually when my circumstances are better. I work in a large retail store and am constantly on my feet running all over the store for 5 hours 3-5 times a week. This is my exercise routine for the moment. I absolutely HATE "regular" exercise but enjoy walking in the nice park near by.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#24 Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Beginner

I dont work out really since i walk so much at work i dont. I walk dogs at work so i can walk them for 10 minutes with a few dogs to almost two hours with up to 15. While in school i did marching band and walked at lest 3 miles a day plus walking to work i lived in the farthest dorm from the science buliding. Since graduation last spring it hast been as much. Cant wait till i get a Zoo keeper job and my activity level increase again.

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#25 Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I don't exercise either. Once in a while I will go for a walk of a couple miles as I use to be an avid walker/jogger and will get back to it eventually when my circumstances are better. I work in a large retail store and am constantly on my feet running all over the store for 5 hours 3-5 times a week. This is my exercise routine for the moment. I absolutely HATE "regular" exercise but enjoy walking in the nice park near by.

I love seeing you post Went too long without seeing you!
#26 Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I don't like boring workouts. It has to involve an attempt to overcome a physical plateau that is just beyond what I could reach previously. If my workouts consisted of staring at a calorie counter on a treadmill, I'd probably become suicidal after a couple sessions.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#27 Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I love seeing you post Went too long without seeing you!

Thanks!
Oh I hang around and lurk, just don't post so much. Also working has been interfering with the internets.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#28 Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 AM

I exercise daily. My current workouts primarily consist of:

Hip hop fitness classes (high impact cardio) ~10 hrs/wk
Abdominal work ~3 days/wk
Arm work with small free weights (3-5 lbs.) ~2 days/wk
Jogging (around 12-min-mile pace) ~2-3 times/month

Now that the weather is starting to look a little nicer, I'm excited to add swimming, biking, (maybe) hiking, and general outdoorsy activities back into the mix. I never really thought I'd enjoy exercise, but once I found some things I enjoyed doing, it didn't feel like work, it felt like fun. And now that I'm in such a regular habit of doing physical activity, I kind of feel like a load when I don't get at least a little exercise in my day. I really rely on it to help me release stress and recharge.

"Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?" - George Carlin
#29 Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Well I don't like boring workouts. It has to involve an attempt to overcome a physical plateau that is just beyond what I could reach previously. If my workouts consisted of staring at a calorie counter on a treadmill, I'd probably become suicidal after a couple sessions.

Distance running is one of the most challenging
workouts there is. If you want to surpass your
physical plateaus as well as your mental plateaus
I suggest you crank up the incline on your treadmill
and run and run and run. Ignore the calorie counter
and don't stop running until you've run at least
ten miles. The distance is what challenges you mentally
and the incline will keep you physically aching.
#30 Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity View Post

I exercise daily. My current workouts primarily consist of:

Hip hop fitness classes (high impact cardio) ~10 hrs/wk
Abdominal work ~3 days/wk
Arm work with small free weights (3-5 lbs.) ~2 days/wk
Jogging (around 12-min-mile pace) ~2-3 times/month

Now that the weather is starting to look a little nicer, I'm excited to add swimming, biking, (maybe) hiking, and general outdoorsy activities back into the mix. I never really thought I'd enjoy exercise, but once I found some things I enjoyed doing, it didn't feel like work, it felt like fun. And now that I'm in such a regular habit of doing physical activity, I kind of feel like a load when I don't get at least a little exercise in my day. I really rely on it to help me release stress and recharge.

Whyyyyy?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page