Immunity Boost for disease - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Hey. I recently found out that I have a strain of HPV (not the kind that causes cancer) but have done a lot of research the past couple days about it. I have read a lot of studies that show it can be fought off in about 2 years if you boost your immunity, and you will no longer have the virus. I was wondering if anyone had any good ways to boost immunity? I know overall better health helps, like exercise and a healthy diet, but was also curious about a way to jump start that, like a detox or juice fast or something. I want to do everything I can to help my body get rid of this, and am hoping people have suggestions. Even if it doesn't get rid of the virus, at least I will be a health machine, so there's nothing to lose here!

I'm planning on quitting smoking (advice on how to quit smoking as well would be great, I'm having a tough time with that one), so I know that will help my body fight off things tremendously just by dropping that bad habit.

Any suggestions on all that stuff would be great. I'm a vegetarian, hoping to go vegan with the right tools too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Beanitarian

Do you live in the US? 1 800 QUIT NOW They can help you with evidence-based smoking cessation methods. Tobacco addiction is one of the most studied diseases on the planet, and because it drains the economy so much, recovery methods have been uber studied as well. No need to guess what works, or even spend a lot of time researching it--it's all done for you already.

That is by far the best way to boost your immune system, and save your life in fact.

Beanitarian.
#3 Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Be careful of claims about "boosting your immune system", for the most part they are medical hogwash. The immune system inst a single organ or entity, its a complex interaction of many many parts. Which parts are being boosted? And why is that a good thing?
In rare medical cases where someone does have an overactive immune system, its not a good thing, they arnt super healthy and are generally worse off.

If someone has a medical condition that cause immune suppression there are some treatments, but here you are not "boosting" the immune system but rather restoring normal function.

As for your body clearing itself of HPV, its been known to happen, but you cant really be sure as it can lie dormant and you can still spread it to others even never having an outbreak.
It really would have been nice if the HPV vaccine came out much earlier and didnt get so much push back.

here area couple resources for you
How to boost your immune system
http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-re...une-system.htm
Quackcast (Dr. Mark Crislip) #22: Boost your immune system And die
http://www.pusware.com/quackcast/quackcast22.mp3
Skeptoid: Episode #227: Boost Your Immune System (or Not)
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4227

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Sleep, healthy diet, exercise. I have hsv 1 and I have to keep a fair immune system to avoid an outbreak, I drink kombucha and kefir often, ingest crushed raw garlic before bed every night, have a green smoothie for breakie every morning so even if I don't eat the best later in the day I get a ton of nutrients. I make sure to sleep ay least 6 hours a night, I neti pot, I try to not use medications or otc meds, since they upset my system, and I drink apple cider vinegar in my morning water. I've only had one outbreak since being diagnosed and it cleared in 3 days, so I guess I'm pretty healthy!

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#5 Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Wow Be_it, that's awesome! Gives me hope that having a strong immune system can really make a difference in the outbreaks. I have a generally low immunity in the first place, as I do smoke, and have had bad eating habits the past 5 or so years, and at 21 years old, I feel like now is the best time to reclaim my life and my health. I will definitely look into the green smoothies, and I've heard a lot of good things about using neti pots as well.
#6 Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Feel free to pm me if you need support. When I was first diagnosed I freaked out and thought my life was over, but starting good habits makes it easy to stave off the inevitable.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#7 Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Look into a raw food diet. Dr. Gabriel Cousens has been a great inspiration for me to cure my Type II Diabetes.

Laura
#8 Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Beanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

In rare medical cases where someone does have an overactive immune system, its not a good thing, they arnt super healthy and are generally worse off.

Thank you for mentioning this. "Boost your immune system" is one of the most overplayed urban myths, like "get the toxins out of your colon".

Beanitarian.
#9 Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

Be careful of claims about "boosting your immune system", for the most part they are medical hogwash. The immune system inst a single organ or entity, its a complex interaction of many many parts. Which parts are being boosted? And why is that a good thing?

If someone has a medical condition that cause immune suppression there are some treatments, but here you are not "boosting" the immune system but rather restoring normal function.

As for your body clearing itself of HPV, its been known to happen, but you cant really be sure as it can lie dormant and you can still spread it to others even never having an outbreak.
It really would have been nice if the HPV vaccine came out much earlier and didnt get so much push back.

here area couple resources for you
How to boost your immune system
http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-re...une-system.htm
Quackcast (Dr. Mark Crislip) #22: Boost your immune system And die
http://www.pusware.com/quackcast/quackcast22.mp3
Skeptoid: Episode #227: Boost Your Immune System (or Not)
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4227

We need more posters like you in the health section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page