Happiness and Diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM

I just finished a book called The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body by Graham and Drew. I tend to read these nutrition books from time to time.

Anyway, I was shocked with the following passage from the book, "While the ethical decision of not eating meat is laudable, it's important to realize what tha means nutritionally, and many plant eaters who return to animal products report a big boost in mood that is likely related to B12" (Kindle Locations 1194-1195).

I am a vegetarian along with my younger daughter and my older daughter is a vegan. All of us are quite happy.

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

I think it's BS. Ovo/lacto-vegetarians can still get B-12 from their animal products (dairy/eggs). Vegans can eat fortified foods and/or supplement. My B12 levels have yet to be anything other than 'excellent'. I've been vegan for a while and I was vegetarian many years before that.

This might also belong in the General Health section rather than the Activist Discussion forum.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#3 Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Thanks Rhys. I appreciate your feedback. Is there a way to redirect the discussion to the General Health section? This is my first post--so, I didn't know all the different topics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM

I just finished a book called The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body by Graham and Drew. I tend to read these nutrition books from time to time.

Anyway, I was shocked with the following passage from the book, "While the ethical decision of not eating meat is laudable, it's important to realize what tha means nutritionally, and many plant eaters who return to animal products report a big boost in mood that is likely related to B12" (Kindle Locations 1194-1195).

I am a vegetarian along with my younger daughter and my older daughter is a vegan. All of us are quite happy.

Any thoughts on this?
#5 Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

MOD POST:

Threads merged

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I treat everything written in pop nutritional books with high skepticism. My mom told me about something she read in a book called something like "The Slow Food Diet" recently. I read the passage in the book, then followed the citation given as its source. The citation did not lead to the study described, but to an article discussing a different book that discusses the study. I tracked down the citation that that book used and finally reached an academic journal article. Based on my reading of the article, I considered the original description of the study and what conclusions could be drawn from it extremely misleading if not outright false. Just an example.

Did your book provide a source for the claim that "many report a big boost in energy"? In any case, if you're mindful about B12 then you'll be fine.
#7 Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Beginner

I feel like people who feel a "boost in mood" either were miserable without their animal products OR had deficiencies they were unaware of other than b12. Vitamin D, for instance, comes to mind.
#8 Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM

I checked the reference in the book as you suggested. There are references for most of the information in this book, but not for the information relating to happiness and being a vegetarian. I also did a quick Google search and found an interesting article that suggests the opposite. The article at http://www.rodale.com/vegetarian-diets cites a research study.
#9 Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool.
#10 Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

B12 supplements can easily be taken if you think low b12 is a possible issue.
#11 Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Not wanting to propagate a myth, but veg*ns on this board do certainly seem to be quite unhappy and downright angry at times and often moreso than what I have seen in my non-veg*n friends. I myself have received great benefit from taking B12 supplements and this is something that I recommend every person get tested for at least annually. Think of it this way: a large majority of meat-eaters have been found to be deficient in B12, isn't it likely that at least as many vegetarians are deficient, if not a bit moreso?
#12 Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Not wanting to propagate a myth, but veg*ns on this board do certainly seem to be quite unhappy and downright angry at times and often moreso than what I have seen in my non-veg*n friends.

Being familiar with a lot of message boards, I have to disagree.
#13 Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah but you suck because you are suffering from B12 deficiency.
#14 Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

No doubt.
#15 Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not wanting to propagate a myth, but veg*ns on this board do certainly seem to be quite unhappy and downright angry at times and often moreso than what I have seen in my non-veg*n friends.

Downright angry??? Where the **** do you get off saying **** like that about us? ****ing grade Z level nasal discharge you are. Don't lie about how happy I and most people here are, you rotten banana peel masquerading as a human being.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I myself have received great benefit from taking B12 supplements and this is something that I recommend every person get tested for at least annually. Think of it this way: a large majority of meat-eaters have been found to be deficient in B12, isn't it likely that at least as many vegetarians are deficient, if not a bit moreso?

About 18 months ago I was deficient in B12 and Vitamin D. My recent blood test results showed a marked improvement and I am now within the normal range. I use nutritional yeast and a sublingual B12 supplement and I also take Calcium with D.

I know at least three people IRL who are omnivores who need B12 shots.

I have been vegetarian/vegan/vegetarian/vegan, etc. etc. going on 8 years and have been a happy person my entire life, regardless of diet.
#17 Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM

It's something that is easy to supplement, though I do have to agree about the importance of Vitamin D and B12 for happiness and general well being. Both are commonly deficient in Vegans without supplementation. If you happen to suffer from Depression, or are generally just interested in the biological underpinnings of happiness, Ive found The Breakthrough Depression Solution: A Personalized 9-Step Method for Beating the Physical Causes of Your Depression to be a great resource. He describes what depression is, in all it's various forms, then talks about the nutritional, biological underpinnings that might underly it. He takes a holistic approach, and it's quite informative. For a free taste of his ideas, see his blog on Psychology Today.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ssion-solution
#18 Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalan996 View Post

the happiest book is the nice book. i also read it and get the advantage fro it.
i hope this book will provide you the better solution for your problems.

Thanks for your reply. I read the Happiness Diet because I find topics on nutrition interesting. I did not actually read it for a "solution" relating to a problem. There are three vegetarians in my family including my older daughter who is a vegan for the past 7 years (3 years additionally as a vegetarian). All of us are quite happy! That's why I was surprised to read the quote from the Happiness Diet that asserts that eating meat is necessary or recommended to be happy.

You are a vegetarian as well (since you are writing on this discussion). Do you find that you are unhappy because you don't eat meat?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page