Getting colds frequently - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a cold right now. You might ask: "Why, Dormouse, didn't you say you had a cold two weeks ago exactly?" Why, yes. Yes I did.

In the last six months approximately I have had at least 5 colds. They have not been evenly distributed. In October/November, I had two colds back to back (I couldn't celebrate Halloween) and now that has happened again. Before this strange disease-ridden period, I could usually expect to get sick only once a semester. The semester that my university had terrible forecasts about swine flu, I didn't get sick at all because I was so diligent about using hand sanitizer and vitamin C consumption.

I don't feel like I've started doing anything that much different. I stopped religiously drinking orange juice and V8, but I'm fairly certain I'm still getting lots of Vitamin C. (I'm a tomato fiend. I will eat a tomato like an apple). I exercise regularly when I'm not sick. Maybe it's because I stopped being anal retentive about using hand sanitizer? (It has a tendency to leak all over my purse.) Could it be that I don't keep my apartment clean enough? Maybe the fact that I've been uber-stressed a lot during this period has weakened my immune system? Maybe I have some rare immune disease and am slowly dying?

I'm not sure, but I am sick of being sick! I would appreciate any insights, suggestions, questions, anecdotes, scolding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Do you wash your hands often? And stress can kill your immune system!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

You could have seasonal (Winter/indoor) allergies. I get 'colds' that last from October-April and was diagnosed with possible seasonal allergies.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

You could have seasonal (Winter/indoor) allergies. I get 'colds' that last from October-April and was diagnosed with possible seasonal allergies.

I get colds every single morning this time of the year.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Upping your zinc intake might help.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#6 Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Sorry that you keep getting sick.

When I was stressed out last winter I had 6 colds - and that's not including the change-of-season colds I also suffered. So for me, it was definitely stress related. I took a multi called Astra 8 when I felt I was getting sick. It seemed to help.
#7 Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I stopped religiously drinking orange juice and V8, but I'm fairly certain I'm still getting lots of Vitamin C. (I'm a tomato fiend. I will eat a tomato like an apple).

More C might help. Tomatoes have quite a bit of water in them, so unless you're eating a whole lot of them, you're probably getting less.

Quote:

I exercise regularly when I'm not sick.

Exercise might help too.

Quote:

Maybe it's because I stopped being anal retentive about using hand sanitizer?

That could be part of it. Particularly after touching anything others have touched or shaking hands.

Quote:

Could it be that I don't keep my apartment clean enough?

That should not be a problem, unless you're suffering from mold or dust/dust mite allergies instead of viruses. Viruses will not grow in your room due to poor cleaning, but it could make allergies worse (which have similar symptoms).

Quote:

Maybe the fact that I've been uber-stressed a lot during this period has weakened my immune system?

Very likely.

I hope you feel better.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#8 Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been feeling like crap for the last 8 days and felt the same way about three weeks before. For some reason, I have been really nauseous and I don't usually get nauseous. I have also been getting terrible sinus headaches so the allergy thing could be a part of it as well. I guess I was just letting you know that I know how you feel and it sucks.
#9 Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, everyone. Stress seems to be a likely culprit. I'm not really sure what I can do about that though.
#10 Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hand sanitizer is a placebo unless you're scrubbing for like five minutes. Only real washing is truly effective. Are you going outside much? It isn't the cold that causes colds, it's peoples' reaction to cold. Staying indoors more, relying on heating and cooling more, wearing more clothes... perfect breeding ground for nasty stuff. Fresh air, often, does wonders.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#11 Old 01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Give peas a chance

I don't eat out during cold and flu season. Very few people who work in food service get sick days. If they don't show up, they don't make rent, so there is a strong incentive to go to work regardless of how they are feeling. Food that is warm and wet is ideal for transmitting germs.

Being in situations where you come into contact with a lot of other people and the things they touch, like school, can be a factor too....more people who are showing up out of necessity and inadvertently spreading germs.

I hope you feel better.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#12 Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

I agree with the suggestions of allergies.

are you sure its a cold? if the mucus is clear or white, its probably allergies.
#13 Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I agree with the suggestions of allergies.

are you sure its a cold? if the mucus is clear or white, its probably allergies.

The allergy suggestion is interesting. I've thought of that before. I have sometimes taken Claritin in these instances, but it has been ineffective. That's why I have assumed they are colds. I guess I could be wrong though. My cold two weeks ago was really just a really runny nose...very well could have been allergies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I don't eat out during cold and flu season. Very few people who work in food service get sick days. If they don't show up, they don't make rent, so there is a strong incentive to go to work regardless of how they are feeling. Food that is warm and wet is ideal for transmitting germs.

Being in situations where you come into contact with a lot of other people and the things they touch, like school, can be a factor too....more people who are showing up out of necessity and inadvertently spreading germs.

I hope you feel better.

That's an interesting idea. I don't think I'm eating out more than I used to, so that wouldn't account for the increase, but it could be something I could do to reduce my risk.

I am a student, but I have been for four years, so that also does not account for the increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieF View Post

Sorry that you keep getting sick.

When I was stressed out last winter I had 6 colds - and that's not including the change-of-season colds I also suffered. So for me, it was definitely stress related. I took a multi called Astra 8 when I felt I was getting sick. It seemed to help.

Ugh, that sounds similar to this. Is there anything special about Astra 8? How did you overcome your stress? Was it just situational?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

I have been feeling like crap for the last 8 days and felt the same way about three weeks before. For some reason, I have been really nauseous and I don't usually get nauseous. I have also been getting terrible sinus headaches so the allergy thing could be a part of it as well. I guess I was just letting you know that I know how you feel and it sucks.

I appreciate the commiseration. I hope you feel better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Hand sanitizer is a placebo unless you're scrubbing for like five minutes. Only real washing is truly effective. Are you going outside much? It isn't the cold that causes colds, it's peoples' reaction to cold. Staying indoors more, relying on heating and cooling more, wearing more clothes... perfect breeding ground for nasty stuff. Fresh air, often, does wonders.

I actually keep my apartment quite cold, because I find the dry air of heat annoying. I do perhaps stay inside too much.

I will try to wash more, rather than rely on hand sanitizer.
#14 Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Upping your zinc intake might help.

Good suggestion. I'll look into zinc-rich foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

More C might help. Tomatoes have quite a bit of water in them, so unless you're eating a whole lot of them, you're probably getting less.

Exercise might help too.

That could be part of it. Particularly after touching anything others have touched or shaking hands.

That should not be a problem, unless you're suffering from mold or dust/dust mite allergies instead of viruses. Viruses will not grow in your room due to poor cleaning, but it could make allergies worse (which have similar symptoms).

Very likely.

I hope you feel better.

Thanks for the suggestions, vep. I think I should start drinking juice again regularly. Maybe my fruit and veggie input just isn't cutting it.
#15 Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I will try to wash more, rather than rely on hand sanitizer.

Please don't. No offense to what's his name, but he doesn't know what he's talking about

Washing is only advisable if your hands are visibly dirty (in which case a hand sanitizer would not be very useful). Not only is soap and water not very effective against viruses, but it will dry your hands out more than a hand sanitizer.

The usefulness of washing or hand sanitizing can be questioned for colds (where it seems most transmission is by air), but there is no question of the ability of hand sanitizer to actually sanitize if it is formulated and used properly- it's just a question of whether you're actually likely to catch a cold by hand contact (i.e. you may not have to wash your hands at all).

However, every major health organization, including the CDC, generally recognizes the value of hand sanitizers- and controlled studies prove it. You should be able to expect around 40% fewer sick days if you use it regularly and properly (and use reputable hand sanitizer). This may be attributable to other pathogens which are often spread by hand contact rather than colds (I don't know), but there is that.

If used correctly, hand sanitizers are extremely effective at killing most bacterium and viruses (whether you need to kill them or not, including those that cause the common cold- although not touching your face or food might be arguably as effective).

About usage, though: If you use it properly, you should use enough to completely wet your hands, front, back, between fingers, and nails. Rub for thirty seconds until it dries. Also pay attention to the type you are using; it should be 60%+ alcohol (70% - 95% is better), or contain a long lasting antiseptic (like povidone iodine, or a few others).

Certain "natural" hand sanitizers without alcohol (or without enough alcohol) or legitimate antiseptics are useless. 40% alcohol might as well be water, for example.

Now a mask or even a vaccine would be much more effective... but short of that, hand sanitizer (and avoiding people) is about the best you can do (which at least seems to do something, although maybe not much, but particularly more than soap and water).

Good health!

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#16 Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

deleted

#17 Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM

Sorry you're not feeling well. I agree with all the suggestions about getting more Vitamin C and Zinc. I myself have difficulties fighting off infections, and I tend to get sick a lot, mostly because of allergies and sinus issues. Yesterday I picked up Buried Treasure's ACF Fast Relief Immune Support at the store. It's a combination of herbs and Vitamin C and Zinc, and wow, it's worked for me.
#18 Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to the doctor yesterday, because my ears were killing me. When I was a kid I got so many ear infections in my right ear, so I'm well familiar with them. Now I have some antibiotics and pseudophedrine, which is really making a difference. I'm still waiting for the clogged ear to drain though.
#19 Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

It could just be the same cold, and you keep thinking it's gone and it hasn't. Although 6 months seems like a long time for that, but I rarely get colds and then last year I kept having a cold, the symptoms fading for about a week, and then comming back - for about 2 or 3 months. I spoke to a doctor because I was doing a clinical trial at the time and just wanted to check it wasn't related (as I rarely get colds, I was worried too) and was told it was most likley the same cold, rather than seperate ones.

Another thought was if you've been sharing equiptment that touches mouths/etc or been around infants a lot more recently. My mum always got a lot of colds when working at a nursery, and I've known relatives who had shared headsets at work and got a drastic increase in colds during that time. So it could be something like that.

Or even just a coincidence. Lots of colds are about in the winter and you're more suspectable to them. Flu/cold goes around the student population very quickly too, especially at the begining of term/winter. A mix of meeting/living with lots of new people, poor hygeine, lots of drinking and not eating properly adds up to LOTS of illness, even if that doesn't apply to you it might to your friends/etc that you share classes/lectures with. I swear in the first few months of term there is a CONSTANT flow of coughing throughout lectures and everybody is sick.

Whatever it is... I hope the drugs keep working well and they go away for good
#20 Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Beginner

My stress was definitely situational (I won't bore you with the details).

Astra 8 is an immune tonic and is based on Chinese herbal medicine. You can get it in liquid or tablet form. It's made in Australia by Fusion health, so I'm not sure how easy it is to find outside oz. I hope you can source it though, it definitely helps (especially if you take it when you start to get mild cold symptoms before it hits properly).
#21 Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

Yes, do you travel on public transport, dormouse? When I first moved here, I got sick a lot. Now I suspect my immune system has adapted to Brit germs, and I haven't been sick in a good while (touch wood!).

Stress is bad too. Make sure to drink enough water. And get yourself some Fisherman's Friends or similar to soothe a sore throat, if that's a problem. I find that helps a lot for myself at least.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#22 Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Yes, do you travel on public transport, dormouse? When I first moved here, I got sick a lot. Now I suspect my immune system has adapted to Brit germs, and I haven't been sick in a good while (touch wood!).

Stress is bad too. Make sure to drink enough water. And get yourself some Fisherman's Friends or similar to soothe a sore throat, if that's a problem. I find that helps a lot for myself at least.

I do take the bus every day. I guess I am bussing more this year from my new apartment, which is further. I used to walk more.
#23 Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Give peas a chance

Could it be you are doing everything right, but it is an exceptionally virulent flu season and you are surrounded by more sick people than usual? I'm no expert in stats, but it seems if twice as many germy people are walking around, you might be twice as likely to pick something up. Maybe it is more external factors rather than internal.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#24 Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Could it be you are doing everything right, but it is an exceptionally virulent flu season and you are surrounded by more sick people than usual? I'm no expert in stats, but it seems if twice as many germy people are walking around, you might be twice as likely to pick something up. Maybe it is more external factors rather than internal.

If that's the case, then I can't control it.
#25 Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

cold are rubbish

Have you moved city recently?

I'm late to the party but stress plus being weakened by successive colds probably isn't helping your immune system.

Getting some exercise and fresh air might help (even if it's just getting off the germ ridden bus a bit early), if you're up to it
#26 Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

cold are rubbish

Have you moved city recently?

I'm late to the party but stress plus being weakened by successive colds probably isn't helping your immune system.

Getting some exercise and fresh air might help (even if it's just getting off the germ ridden bus a bit early), if you're up to it

Nope, I'm in the same town I've been in for awhile.

I'm feeling well again now, except for a clogged ear remaining after an ear infection. (I might follow up with a doctor about this next week, if it doesn't go away.) I'm already back exercising and feeling great. Now I just need to stay this way!
#27 Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I take a crushed clove of garlic nightly and have only gotten sick once since starting that. Where I used to get sick often, I've only gotten sick my one time this season, due to intense stress, and my cold was over in 3 days. Also, kombucha usually helps my friends and I when we feel sick, but garlic is cheaper, easier, and won't break the bank if taken daily.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#28 Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Nope, I'm in the same town I've been in for awhile.

I'm feeling well again now, except for a clogged ear remaining after an ear infection. (I might follow up with a doctor about this next week, if it doesn't go away.) I'm already back exercising and feeling great. Now I just need to stay this way!

Hope you stay well Dormouse.
#29 Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Elderberry tea/syrup

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#30 Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Veggie Regular

This is me....

I don't really know why it is. Since I had swine flu a few years ago my immune system has been SHOCKING.

However, although I still get colds a lot (not as much) they seem to go away a whole lot quicker. I used to find that they dragged on for ages & as soon as one was gone & leaving me feeling run down, I would get another one! They would drag on & on for weeks....no exaggeration. I'm fully convinced this improvement is down to taking my Zinc supplements. I don't know how to explain it....but I just feel so much better.

This is the only thing that's changed for me, so I kind of put it down to that. It may be a placebo effect or down to something else. Who knows? I don't care.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page