First Vegan Bloodwork - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I got my blood work done for the first time since becoming vegan 7 months ago.

Everything came out "normal" (B12, Folate, Good Cholesterol, Bad Cholesterol) but I still have "high" cholesterol (203) and Triglycerides (277!).

I've already identified that I need to stop porking out on french fries once a week and baked chips but am having a hard time thinking of other food items I eat that might contribute to high cholesterol and triglycerides. Vegan cheeses? Vegan sour cream, maybe?

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people have natural high cholesterol, I've heard.

And that the cholesterol which comes from food don't contribute to it.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

What's interesting, too, is that my LDL ("Bad Cholesterol") is within the "near optimal" range at 107 and my HDL ("good cholesterol") is in the normal range as well at 41.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

hmmm.... 107 + 41 =/= 203.
#5 Old 12-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

hmmm.... 107 + 41 =/= 203.

Total cholesterol is calculated by adding the sum of HDL, LDL, and the triglyceride level divided by 5 therefore:

Total cholesterol = 41 + 107 + (277/5) = 203.4

I was confused, too, and had to look it up. lol

#6 Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

Total cholesterol is calculated by adding the sum of HDL, LDL, and the triglyceride level divided by 5 therefore:

Total cholesterol = 41 + 107 + (277/5) = 203.4

I was confused, too, and had to look it up. lol

Interesting... never knew that.
#7 Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Simple sugars, refined carbohydrates and alcohol tend to drive triglycerides up more than dietary fat so I would look there.
#8 Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

exercise.
#9 Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Good start. You might just need a bit more time, was it higher 7 months ago or do you know? Soluble fibers found in things like oat meal, whole grains and legumes are known to lower cholesterol. I don't think processed foods like vegan cheeses and sour creams are particularly helpful. Give it a little more time and try eating more whole foods.

Natural things to try might be niacin and red rice yeast.

Good job!

All the best.
#10 Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Simple sugars, refined carbohydrates and alcohol tend to drive triglycerides up more than dietary fat so I would look there.

This. Make sure most of your carbs are whole grain and you don't eat a lot of white sugar.

I had bloodwork done awhile ago and it was weird. My LDL was so low the machine didn't register a number but my HDL was only in the low 20's and they said it should be over 40.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#11 Old 12-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I think there is a strong genetic component involved in cholesterol for some people?

Also- maybe you want to try some foods that naturally help to reduce cholesterol? I think Oats are supposed to do this...?

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#12 Old 12-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

This. Make sure most of your carbs are whole grain and you don't eat a lot of white sugar.

I had bloodwork done awhile ago and it was weird. My LDL was so low the machine didn't register a number but my HDL was only in the low 20's and they said it should be over 40.

I have the same issue. Both my "good" and "bad" cholesterol are low which messes up my "good to bad" ratio that assesses for cardiac risk. I was concerned, but vegan nutritionist Jeff Novick said there's no cardiac risk when they both are low like that, and to not worry about the ratio. http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Home.html
#13 Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 AM

It's the fat. If you get the % of kcal from fat below 10%, it will plummet. But yes that excludes tons of foods. Actually I'm about to post my first squidoo lens, with links to recipes. But basically, if you aren't extremely vigilant, dietary fat will hover around 30-40% of kcals, and that is still bad news for arteries, though obviously your risk may be lower than average since your intake of saturated fat/hydrogenated fat is probably lower than most.

Read samples from my poetry book at www.bruisedroseblossoms.com
#14 Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Ankle Biter

My numbers are similar to yours, and I exercise 4-6 times a week - and have for 30 years. I eat mostly whole grains. Do you drink alcohol?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#15 Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

My cholesterol is always great (around 108 - 120) but my husband's fluctuates more. It's still usually below 200 but it goes up and down depending on how much dietary fat he consumes and hw much exercise he does. The way he puts it is: some people are more affected by bad lifestyle choices than other people. Some people can eat french fries and it doesn't do anything to them and other people just can't eat french fries at all without it impacting their health.
#16 Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

I think there is a strong genetic component involved in cholesterol for some people?

This is what I always thought as well.
#17 Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned

Eat clean, raw as muh as possible. No smoking or booze, sleep till satiated, exercise at least an hour a day, at least 45 mins of that hour being cardio.
#18 Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

My numbers are similar to yours, and I exercise 4-6 times a week - and have for 30 years. I eat mostly whole grains. Do you drink alcohol?

I do but not regularly. I go out maybe once or twice a month but... I get free drinks every where I go so I get kinda of smashed on those few nights I do drink. I don't drink at all on a regular basis, i.e., I don't drink a glass of wine with dinner.

#19 Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the input, everyone!

#20 Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I get free drinks every where I go

It seems that you are quite popular amongst the guys/gals.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#21 Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It seems that you are quite popular amongst the guys/gals.

Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal around here.

Kidding. I used to work as a bartender for 3 years so I know a lot of bartenders. Plus, a lot of my friends are in the industry as bartender or managers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page