Sciatic Pain - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I get the worst hip and sciatic pinched nerve and it seems to not go down much. I do yoga, I wear a brace when doing hair (bf's father is a chiropractor, I have no time for him to help that much), I try to rest, I get rubs and I try not to position myself so it is bothered more but all that is not helping much. My hips get sore and shooting numb, tingling, pain and weakness. It gets debilitating almost. I do not know if it is from an old accident (fractured sacrum 12 years ago) or my work or just my health in general.

Anyone have experience or advice? I need to get this figured out and fixed so I can work and live normally.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you name exactly where you feel the pain? A lot of people mean different area when they say hips.
Is it in the front, or the back?
On the side of the hip (iliac crest) or in the glute area?
Just one side or both?
Does it hurt only when you move(contraction of the muscle), or is it when you're resting as well?

It could definitely be true sciatica, since the sciatic nerve goes through S3(I think) and then down through the piriformis muscle and into the leg. Do you get professional massage, or just boyfriend rubs? If you can't afford to see a therapist, maybe get a tennis ball, or one of those foam rollers used for TFL, and see if you can loosen it up.

I'll wait for your details for more advise
#3 Old 12-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

when I was in pain management, we did SI injections with a steroid like Kenalog that could at least help get the inflammation down. There are also specific exercises for sciatic pain, but you'd have to look them up, or have a therapist show you them, which would be better.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Can you name exactly where you feel the pain? A lot of people mean different area when they say hips.
Is it in the front, or the back?
On the side of the hip (iliac crest) or in the glute area?
Just one side or both?
Does it hurt only when you move(contraction of the muscle), or is it when you're resting as well?

It could definitely be true sciatica, since the sciatic nerve goes through S3(I think) and then down through the piriformis muscle and into the leg. Do you get professional massage, or just boyfriend rubs? If you can't afford to see a therapist, maybe get a tennis ball, or one of those foam rollers used for TFL, and see if you can loosen it up.

I'll wait for your details for more advise

Starts deep in the back of the hip and all the way down the leg. It sometimes feels like it wraps around the front a bit and around the knee. Boyfriend dose rubs. I do not make that much money so can not afford massages. I will look into tennis ball and call my doctor Monday. It dose calm down but, today I it is very bad.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Putting ice on your low back/butt on the effected side, and popping an anti inflammatory should help. Do not put heat on it, this will only make it worse. Since you said you do yoga, if you can handle it, do pigeon pose a couple times a day, since this targets the piriformis muscle.
#6 Old 12-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

when I was in pain management, we did SI injections with a steroid like Kenalog that could at least help get the inflammation down. There are also specific exercises for sciatic pain, but you'd have to look them up, or have a therapist show you them, which would be better.

My Doctor dose natural pain relief but I can not afford it because it is not covered by insurance. I am not scared of needles or anything though.

I need to find the paper at my moms about what I injured many years ago. I think a fracture scarum and I chipped a vertebra. I have no idea if that would be connected.

Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have sciatica but I understand it is excruciating. My best to you...
#9 Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I had it one time that I can specifically remember, and it was when I was pregnant with my daughter and I ended up using a cane. since my hips were widening out, the muscles and nerve was going with it, nad yes Digger it was super uncomfortable!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#10 Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I had it one time that I can specifically remember, and it was when I was pregnant with my daughter and I ended up using a cane. since my hips were widening out, the muscles and nerve was going with it, nad yes Digger it was super uncomfortable!

This happened to me as well, but not until after I delivered. It would get inflamed overnight and often I couldn't get out of bed. It's one of the reasons I went veg, and I am now pain free
#11 Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

mine was 25 yrs ago!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page