Help! I need a kick in the be-hind - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

siiiiiiiighhhhhh...

So .. I've been extra bad lately & I need some help getting into healthy eating habits again... Today, I had fruit & toast for breakfast (good so far), half a personal pizza for lunch, and for dinner I had half a veggie burger, fries, and half a brownie.... I should have ordered a salad but I was soo hungry and didn't think a salad would fill me up.

I have been sooooo craving greasy, fatty food lately and now my tummy feels so gross and yucky.

So I need to get on the good-food bandwagon, and pronto. I am traveling right now, and I forgot all my odwalla bars at home ( ) so I am left with airport & restaurant food until I get home. And I am traveling all next week as well.

helllllllllllp! I don't want to succumb to temptation next week, but it's going to be sooo hard since I'll be eating in restaurants almost the whole time. And when given the choice between ordering a personal pizza or a salad, I get the pizza because I'm afraid of being hungry (when I travel for work, it's not uncommon to go 8 hours w/o eating simply due to being in so many meetings w/o food).

I need ideas & motivation! What do you do when your only choices are a wimpy salad, or a big plate of a veggie burger & fries (ie, no veggies!).

I feel bloated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate traveling for the reasons you just gave.

Can you order two salads and a starch (rice/bread)?

Try to find an Asian restaurant - they usually have lots of vegetables available, and most I've been two are flexible in preparation.

I also carry snacks with me (sunflower/pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, peanuts, etc.) - so when I get stuck somewhere with no choices - I at least have something.
#3 Old 03-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I get the salad and veggie burger and skip the fries. I mean, i figure, the veggie burger can't be THAT bad...and the salad is good. And if you're hungry, than I figure eating is no big deal. Its also a good idea to stop by a store and stock up on some good healthy snacks. Try to get Chinese/Thai food (healthyish, veggie loaded)....I guess it depends where you're travelling. When I was in LA, there was a TraderJoes and a vegan cafe down the street from our hotel...it was better than being stuck here in the boonies...

good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know which airports you are around, but I've had decent luck finding good things to eat at the few I've been to.

The Minneapolis/St. Paul airport has a fabulous Japanese noodle bar and a great smoothie shop (which also carries Luna Bars).

TGI Friday's and restaurants like that usually will let you order a steamed veggie plate.

I hate whimpy iceberg lettuce salads. HATE EM! So I completely know how you feel.

When you're at a restaurant, ask for a baked potato instead of fries if you feel you need the starchiness. Or maybe they have chips, salsa, & guacamole. Then at least you get the good fats in the guacamole which will fill you up for a while. I often order that and a salad when I'm out and about.

Good luck!

Maybe when you get home, you could do a colon cleanse.
#5 Old 03-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Two words, OA: Mongolian Barbeque.

Most towns have them now and they're usually pretty easy to get what you want in without a lot of problems.

If that fails you, then go with DVMarie's and rainbowmoon's suggestion of doing an Asian/Thai restaurant. They seem to be much more diet compatable than American-style restaurants are.

Most towns I've been to are impossible to eat vegan in, let alone vegetarian so the best thing to do is do the best you can. Even if that means a big plate of veggieburger, fries and a salad.
#6 Old 03-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

SallyK - this is off topic, but your new av....
#7 Old 03-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

The Minneapolis/St. Paul airport has a fabulous Japanese noodle bar and a great smoothie shop (which also carries Luna Bars).

OMG! Yeah I flew through there and got a rasberry craze I did make me feel better... I try to avoid luna bars due to the fractionated palm oil, but they did have some other good looking snackies there.

I did better today... fruit, whole grain bread, salads, nuts, black beans, and lots of water... I*will*eatbetter, I*will*eatbetter...

amyonthemend
#8 Old 03-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

ahhhhh crap. is fractionated oil like hydrogenated oil? unless i have a day like today where i say to hell with everything and stuff myself with junk, i avoid hydrogenated oils as much as i can. but i could like, live off of luna bars, so this would suck!
#9 Old 03-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you Dee! How sweet!

OregonAmy, you're not allowed to fly through here and not have lunch with me next time! (if you have enough time, that is!)
#10 Old 03-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want something filling, I've found almost all restaurants can be convinced to make a special dish.. I got dragged to a steakhouse last night, so I asked for pasta and vegetables even though it wasn't on the menu, and got a huge plate of food.

Also, a lot of restaurants are having more veg options. I got a wonderful Vegetable fajita at Chillis, and TGI Fridays has a delicious veg pasta dish w/ huge portabellos, and a WONDERFUL roasted vegetable sandwich.

You don't always have to settle for what is on the menu, you can make a dish yourself by combining different things and most places will accomodate for you.
#11 Old 03-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Anndr0id ~ see this thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=15664

that stunk. But yeah, I pretty much agree with everyone here... it's just that... when looking at a menu and i see "green salad with balsamic dressing" or "veggie burger, fries, and fruit salad" I think "oooooh, veggie burger!" ... and then I feel all gross because I didn't eat any vegetables. But I am soooo drawn to the yumminess of a greasy burger & fries even though I know it's not good for me.

mayuko ~ here's some info on fractionated oil: http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...stionId=118473 (though yes I realize the hypocrisy in staying away from that, then going & eating fries! LOL)

and sallyk - I had no idea you lived in Minneapolis! My cousin does, too. I barely had enough time to get the smoothie, though - I had about 20 minutes to get from the F terminal to the C terminal. Next time, though, I will definitely let you know!!

amy
#12 Old 03-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

ah, i see. thanks! i'd never even heard the term before, so i guess luna bars are the only thing i eat with them in it, since i obsessively check ingredients labels if that's the case, i suppose the occasional luna bar isn't too bad, though i do believe i shall be cutting back a smidge ^^
#13 Old 03-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

veggie burgers tend to not be too greasy. most restaurants that do veg burgers give you an option of fries or salad or baked potato. a lot of them cook the fries in beef fat anyway so you're better off with salad.

asian restaurants is a good idea too, you can get steamed veggies and plain steamed rice and mix them with some soy sauce to make an ungreasy stirfry type thing

i know how you feel though, i get cravings for greasy food all the time. i usually indulge and then get stomach aches or just feel blah or burp all night. i've been thinking for a while about trying to eat less fried stuff and more raw veggies and fruit. i'm sure my body will thank me.

i still think it's ok to have what you're craving now and then though. as long as you don't overdo it or eat it every day 3 meals a day

pizza advice, if you order from a place like pizza hut where the pan crusts are cooked in oil, ask for it on thin crust instead. much less greasy. i know at pizza hut they don't offer it on anything smaller than a medium, but a lot of times when i worked there if someone asked for a small or personal sized on thin crust, if we weren't busy we'd do it for them.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page