Waking nauseous around 3am ( hormones? increased soy consumption? something else alto - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi lovely board!

I wasn't going to post this because it's fairly vague but it's really starting to get me down and any kind of advice would be useful ( I did see a doctor but he felt it was anxiety , without doing any tests or asking any questions! I KNOW what anxiety feels like, I felt it for years during university and barely slept. This is notably different! ).

Anyway, I've been waking up around 3am sweating and feeling full and sick to my stomach. Generally a strange combination of heat pack on it and fan on face resolves things and last night I tried choking down a piece of bread ( thought it may be hunger in disguise ) which didn't work all that well.

It's not something I dread or assume will happen every night and in fact it stopped happening last week when I started consuming milk again ( but I did feel deathly tired...which may or may not have been the milk so perhaps I just..slept through ! ) which made wonder whether it's something to do with soy? I hope not, because I don't want to go back to dairy ( yes, I know there are other alternatives) , not only for ethical reasons but because my skin goes from acne ridden (recent development over the last few years. Dropped to a low BMI weight and even though it's been raised somewhat and I eat a TON, it's still a bit low so perhaps that's it ) to crystal clear in a matter of days when I don't eat it.

So , after a few suggestions from friends we came up with soy ( impacting hormones, not the actual digestion of it because I drink it during the day and feel fine ) or what I was eating before bed ( which is generally a delicious post-dinner combination of bananas and cashews, which I discovered this morning is actually a high tryptophan combination so should be GOOD for sleep !?! And have never had a problem with either) or something unrelated and unfixable :I . This friend is a naturopath and felt I had low estrogen which was why dairy gave me acne , but said soy should help that.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any advice?

What a rambly thread..sorry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah my title was too long! sorry for that too. Sigh. Somewhat sleep deprived this morning
#3 Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned

have you tried not eating soy for a week or 2 to see if you still wake up nauseous?

kind of confused why you started to consume milk again since it causes you to have acne.

im soy free and dairy free, its pretty easy to do. you don't need to eat dairy if you don't eat soy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the reply
I started consuming dairy again because I was staying with someone on a farm where soy was hard to access and everyone ate dairy and I didn't think it would be overly detrimental for a short time . I had suspicions the acne was brought on by dairy but didn't want to overthink or be paranoid so figured I'd give it a shot.
Yes, I'm sure dairy and soy free is easy, I'm more just wondering whether something is up with my hormones and dairy helped ( despite that bringing on acne ) , or whether soy d.. I.. I just have no idea, at this point, what to do and it's starting to stress me out ( not enough to lose periods over and not til this morning ! )
#5 Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

ok,
well there is lots of scientific evidence that dairy does make acne worse (it made mine horrible for years until i gave it up for good).

i suggest cutting out soy for a week or 2 and see if you still have problems feeling nauseous at night. read labels bc soy sneaks into lots of foods.

i don't eat soy anymore because it caused digestive problems for me, mainly cramping, bloating, constipation and nausea. soy also made my periods and pms WORSE, after a month of no soy i didn't have period cramps that used to keep me in bed all day and practically no mood swings from pms, my periods also went from over 7 days to 4 days max.
#6 Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Thankyou ( and I'm glad you feel better! )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page