Lactose/Dairy Intolerance - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering how low on dairy products you'd have to be to notice a difference if you were lactose intolerant? I eliminated all obvious dairy in the beginning of February, and have noticed absolutely no difference, but I know I'm still getting whey and casein in some stuff, but would that make a difference in terms of dairy intolerance? Or perhaps what I've always suspected is true -- I'm not intolerant to dairy.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know...I went about 3 months with zero dairy, and when I had a good bit of it afterward, I wasn't sick at all.
#3 Old 03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

It may or may not make a difference, depending on how severe the (theoretical) intolerance was. Most naturopaths would probably recommend at LEAST two weeks without ANY dairy/dairy byproducts to see about an intolerance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You can take a test (I forget what it's called) to see if you're lactose intolerant. Didn't the gastroenterologist give you one? I found out that I'm not lactose intolerant, but I'm sensitive to dairy. If you've cut it out entirely and still notice no difference, I doubt you're lactose intolerant though...
#5 Old 03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of anyone who was lactose intolerant having problems with casein and whey...it's usually the lactose that causes problems...
#6 Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

You can take a test (I forget what it's called) to see if you're lactose intolerant. Didn't the gastroenterologist give you one? I found out that I'm not lactose intolerant, but I'm sensitive to dairy. If you've cut it out entirely and still notice no difference, I doubt you're lactose intolerant though...

I can honestly say I have no idea what was run on me anymore. For a while I had a list, and I don't know what happened to it. Basically, every blood/malabsorption profile that I've ever heard of (and I've heard of more than the average person considering my occupation).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 03-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Casein shouldn´t be a problem, but whey is full of lactose. It you don´t want to skip all, skip al least the whey products.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 03-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes casein can TOO be a problem. TONS of people have dairy sensitivities that include casein. Lactose isn't the only thing in milk that you can be intolerant to....
#9 Old 03-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I am allergic to dairy but it isn't just lactose. My allergy does not show up on any allergy tests, but when I wasn't so strict about dairy a tbsp in a baked good would cause for me to have allergy attacks for the next 3 days. Don't rely just on the allergy tests if you think you are allergic. Though casein does not get me, I don't see why it wouldn't cause problems for others
#10 Old 03-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you aren't intolerant. I am, and I can tell about two minutes after I have something with dairy (at least uncooked) involved...the inside of my nose swells and I can't breathe as well. Not to mention stomach problems.

However, occasionally I have had products that contain casseine (though I stear clear of whey), and don't notice a difference.

Not everyone is sensitive, but lost of folks are.

B
#11 Old 03-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

I've never heard of anyone who was lactose intolerant having problems with casein and whey...it's usually the lactose that causes problems...

No there are people who are intolerent to milk in general. I'm severely lactose intolerent, and when I tried drinking Lactaid and using Lactaid pills, they didn't help at all. I needed to fully switch to soy.
#12 Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

No there are people who are intolerent to milk in general. I'm severely lactose intolerent, and when I tried drinking Lactaid and using Lactaid pills, they didn't help at all. I needed to fully switch to soy.

I am lactose intolerant and would get severe stomach aches and end up in the loo and that was just from a bowl of ice cream or milk in cereal. Since becoming a vegan and ommiting all dairy and animal products. I have not been sick once. I feel better, less irritable and no long bathroom visits Oh and no more psoriosis HEY!
#13 Old 03-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHottie View Post

I am lactose intolerant and would get severe stomach aches and end up in the loo and that was just from a bowl of ice cream or milk in cereal. Since becoming a vegan and ommiting all dairy and animal products. I have not been sick once. I feel better, less irritable and no long bathroom visits Oh and no more psoriosis HEY!

Nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page