Why is my hair thinning?! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Since childhood, I have had massively thick hair. As I've gotten older, it has thinned out a small amount, mostly from hair coloring.. until recently, I noticed that I've been losing it at a very rapid pace. I noticed it not long after I went entirely vegan (other than very rare accidental dairy consumption).

I try to stay away from junk, but I know my diet probably isn't what it should be. I'm pretty sure I get enough protein, since I usually have some kind of soy product (tofu, tempeh) a few times per day. Other than that, I'm not taking any medication that would cause hair loss and I haven't colored in my hair in months. Its not thin to the point where others may notice, but I do. I have a feeling that I'm probably lacking in some nutrients. I already have an appointment with my doctor...I just want to do some research and get feedback from other people who may have had this issue before I go.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelene17 View Post

. I'm pretty sure I get enough protein, since I usually have some kind of soy product (tofu, tempeh) a few times per day.

But are you getting enough calories? Have you tried tracking your food on sites like fitday.com or a similar site?
#3 Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 AM

I once lost a lot of weight and my hair came out from simply running my fingers through. The only thing that made it better was eating more, but I took some hair skin and nail supplements for a while which seemed to help my nails a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Also check your thyroid. A sign of under active thyroid is thinning hair.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Also check your thyroid. A sign of under active thyroid is thinning hair.

For months before my mom finally went to the doctor and found out she had an under active thyroid she lost massive amounts of hair. So much so that she started to get bald patches. Once she got on meds it grew back but not as thick as it was.

Sarah
#6 Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Thinning hair is one symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency. Are you taking supplements or eating foods fortified with it?
#7 Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't speak to your specific situation but my hair stylist recently mentioned that my hair has never been thicker...

I do take at least 500mcg of B12 daily in addition to 2000IU of Vitamin D...

For whatever it is worth.
#8 Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Low fat intake can have this result as well. Have you tried plugging in a few days' worth of food into FitDay or something similar, for starters. It might give you some ideas straightaway.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I had my thyroid checked, everything is ok.

I logged a few days worth of food in on fitday.. not getting enough calories. I'm going to start taking B12 as well, because I'm pretty sure I'm deficient.

No more chemicals for my hair. I'm switching to henna instead of processing the crap out of my hair like I used to.

Thank you for all of the great advice!
#10 Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 PM

I've same problem with my hair and I've dandruff in my hair may anyone tell me how can I get rid off dandruff.
#11 Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Banned

I advise you to get to a doctor to diagnose the root cause of your thinning hair.
#12 Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

My hair started getting noticeably thinner a few years ago. I've always had fairly thick hair, and it was to the point where I saw an old friend and she practically screamed, "what happened to your hair?!"
I went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked and get bloodwork done, and everything was fine.
I think the problem for me was not eating enough calories. I still struggle with this sometimes. I started eating more, and I also took prenatal vitamins and my skin and nails are great now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page