Help the flu got me - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i know most of you probably dont get the flu because your probably heathy like an ox but i got it and i dont want. got a fever of 100.1. what do you guys do eat and drink if and when you get it? home remedies would be good good stuff to eat to get it out of me would be good. i havnt had this crap or years and all of sudden it crept up on me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Lots of flu going round at the moment, you lot can keep your evil germs away from me.

I don't know...just keep hydrated!

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#3 Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Fruit smoothies will help keep you hydrated and get some calories in you. Can't fight a flu without any energy. Other than that you just have to let it run it's course. Oh and echinacea tea. I just got over the flu, I feel for ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, there's not really anything you can do to get rid of it. Stay hydrated. Stay warm and dry. When I had the flu I would sweat through my clothes and sheets in a matter of hours. If you're experiencing the same thing keep changing and sleep on towels, because you don't want to be wet and cold. Drinking soup won't help you get better, but the steam will help clear you sinuses. So...water, rest, warmth, and soup!

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 10-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

If you go to the doc within 72 hrs of coming down with the flu (if it is in fact influenza -- your fever is really low for actual influenza) they can give you anti-virals that will shorten the duration/severity. I just get the flu shot every year and don't get the flu (and yes I know it isn't vegan and I don't care cause neither would all the medicine be that I take to get through the flu!).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Some suggestions that may help:

-Eat foods with vitamin C if you feel up to eating. This includes citrus of course, and orange juice, but also green veggies and tomatoes.
-Herbal or decaffeinated tea. Caffeine dehydrates you, so it's probably best to avoid it, but the hot liquids really help me feel better.

I've never actually had the flu, but those are my typical cold remedies.
#7 Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I got the flu shot (completely unwanted, I just went in for the damn tetanus shot), and I could only stomach saltines and ginger ale. Fever of 101 isn't that bad (I had 103), drink juice to bring it down. Tylenol will also help, if you can actually stomach it. Otherwise just kinda sleep it through.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#8 Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Oryzatarian

Vitamin D, if your deficient then your immune system cant respond at full strength.
Strongly colored berries, the pigments and related goodies in many/most dark berries help you ride out the flu.
Crystallized ginger or ginger tea if nausea is bothering you alot.
Relax, stress is bad for the immune system, and after all it'll be gone in a few days or a week or something anyway ;-)
#9 Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have asthma, so I'm pretty terrified of the flu and get the vaccine.
Those breath right strips are wonderful if you have congestion.
The herb teas by Yogi are great. I have Breath Easy, and I think they have one just for flu.
Keep hydrated.

Get well soon!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, don't bother taking Emergen-C or other Vitamin C crap. Vitamin C does nothing to help you get over being ill.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#11 Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

fluids and rest are the only things i could think of. i refuse to ever get the flu again since i ended up in the hospital last time and all i can really remember is hallucinating and not being able to answer simple questions.
#12 Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Bed rest
water
#13 Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Also, don't bother taking Emergen-C or other Vitamin C crap. Vitamin C does nothing to help you get over being ill.

Apparently that is true, Vit C has to be stored in the body for a while before hand in order for it to be effective. My remedy is just to lie around in bed watching tv until it goes.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#14 Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Can't really add anything to what everyone has already said. If you're not already feeling better, hope you do soon!
#15 Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i refuse to ever get the flu again

unfortunately I don't think it works like that

If I was where I would be, then I'd be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot.
#16 Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

take echinacea! I take it for 2 weeks at the change of seasons. am never sick. it will help give your body a boost if you are already sick tho.

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#17 Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Apparently that is true, Vit C has to be stored in the body for a while before hand in order for it to be effective. My remedy is just to lie around in bed watching tv until it goes.

Strange. I always drink lots of orange juice when I feel like I'm getting sick, and it seems to work. I guess there's a good chance it's a placebo effect, or just the fact that I eat lots of vitamin C all the time.
#18 Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Oryzatarian

Relationships like diet and drugs versus flu incidence cant really be established from individual experience, unfortunately. Some people may just be lucky or unlucky.
I havent had the flu (or flu shot) since 1997 and I was a hourly smoker until 2007 and I ate mostly meat, bleached flour, and junk food until about the start of 2010.
That doesnt mean a corned beef, doughnut, and cigar diet is advantageous ;-)

But a diet that promotes overall health can never really be recommended against. After all, in the end getting the flu or not getting it is pretty trivial so long as your healthy enough to survive it. So better than focusing a lot on a handful of things one believes might prevent the flu or any other single, specific, disease would be to eat and live in the healthiest way available in your area.
#19 Old 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I have a flu on top of woman's problems, I have sweats some parts of the day or night and then I can freeze, I don't run a fever I don't think but, I feel nausated and vomiting more and I have to take phengrine to help me feel better, I hardly can eat anything without getting sick and do things , I have aches and pains and I have low energy and I all want to do is go to bed and not crawl out of it.
#20 Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Beginner

People like simple theories. But many things are complex. People like the theory that a germ causes a virus. But the whole theory includes the terrain or immune system. That is much more complex.

You will not get a flu or cold unless you need to. If they are good for health then what is bad for health. Guns do not kill people. People kill people. Drugs, like meth, do not jump into people. People put them into themselves.

Going by numbers little kids get the most colds and flus and live around another 65 years. Old people get them the least and live another 10 years. To the body only health matters. To the person many other things are more important like money, relationships and more.

For example a guy eats whatever he wants. He is too important or busy to get enough sleep. He cannot be bothered to keep stress down. Since he is stressed and unhappy he eats way too much. He has a terrible lifestyle and the flu is an incovenience.

But if you get sick enough, then you cannot eat much. Also you need to take off from your very important job and get a lot of sleep. What caused Mariah Carey's nervous breakdown? She said that she caused it with lack of sleep. Reports say that most Americans have sleeping problems.

Well at least people have no eating problems! People can be thinner and healthier by exercising more, eating less and sleeping more. Studies show that sleeping more is more important than exercising more when it comes to losing excess weight.

October 2009, The New York Times reported on a study that found that those who get less than seven hours of sleep a night are three times as likely to catch a cold as those who sleep at least eight hours a night.

There are many more factors like getting enough vitamin D but this is enough for now. Vitamin C cured scurvy decades ago but it is not coming back. Vitamin D cured cured rickets decades ago but it is coming back.

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Strange. I always drink lots of orange juice when I feel like I'm getting sick, and it seems to work. I guess there's a good chance it's a placebo effect, or just the fact that I eat lots of vitamin C all the time.

Same for me...this is the first time in a few years that I didn't load up on C when I felt a cold coming and it ended up hitting me hard. I'm on week three and still have remnants of cold symptoms. I guess it could just be coincidence, but I think I'm going back to taking extra C if I feel myself getting sick again.
#22 Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that you got the flu, but glad to find this thread because it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone. Don't know if it's actually the flu or not, but I've had flu-like symptoms for several weeks now and it's really dragging me down. I always try to get a flu shot, but the problem is that it's never available in my area until after I've already got it! The county where I live was one of the first to start reporting cases of influenza this year, and some were as early as August.
#23 Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 AM

The flu got you because the weather is changed now i have also a flu from a days, I also go for checkup to my family doctor and he recommend me some medicines but no fact and have no benefit because this the weather change flu and it will end on their own not with medicines.

placentia fitness boot camp
#24 Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

In the summer when everyone is outside a lot, wearing t-shirts (short sleeves) and shorts so lots of skin exposure, flu disappears. No one comes down with the flu. But the weather changes, we all hide indoors, cover up all skin (to keep warm) and voila, the flue strikes. What is the pivotal difference? Lack of sun exposure, lack of vitamin D. Most people apparently are deficient in vitamin D. This affects not only your bones (so I've heard) but it also means that you are likely to catch the flu. I've read that the minimum you should take is about 2000 IU per day and I did read somewhere that up to 4000 is not a bad idea.
#25 Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

In the summer when everyone is outside a lot, wearing t-shirts (short sleeves) and shorts so lots of skin exposure, flu disappears. No one comes down with the flu. But the weather changes, we all hide indoors, cover up all skin (to keep warm) and voila, the flue strikes. What is the pivotal difference? Lack of sun exposure, lack of vitamin D. Most people apparently are deficient in vitamin D. This affects not only your bones (so I've heard) but it also means that you are likely to catch the flu. I've read that the minimum you should take is about 2000 IU per day and I did read somewhere that up to 4000 is not a bad idea.

this makes me wonder if people up north have more flu cases each winter than around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page