Where did my appetite go? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone,

Lately (the past three weeks or so) I have no appetite. Physically, I'm sort of hungry but for some reason, eating just seems really.. unattractive. I have to sort of force feed myself as I have absolutely no mental desire to eat. I *have* been going through some things lately but stress/depression/sickness etc. have never caused me to stop eating. Sometimes I'm lucky if I can stomach even a bowl of chick peas or something equally small. Also, I don't have any issues with eating disorders or things of that nature, never did, so I don't think that's it. The only solution I can think of is to live with Kreeli - otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Galatea. I think I may know what you are talking about - in the last few months I've been in a serious episode of depression which made my appetite disappear like Hoffa. Depression had never done this to me before, but keep in mind that the symptoms can change. I don't know if this could be true for you or not. What did help me - and this is not easy especially if you feel stressed already - was to ramp up my exercise plan (I increased from 20 mi/week running to 30 mi/week, for instance), and this really worked. I HAD to eat or else I'd pass out running, and running in turn seemed to make me hungrier throughout the day. I also started working out in the AM - which made me all day hungrier. So that's my suggestion. Hope you find something which works for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that your appetite can cycle a little bit. Hormones can change it, weather can change it, etc. If it's only affected for a couple weeks at a time, it's probably ok, but if this is an ongoing problem you might go talk to someone professional about it. Hope life looks up for you soon.
#3 Old 03-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I have days, sometimes weeks like this. It usually passes. I just eat what I can when I'm hungry. I do what I can to help the depression pass, like Cassiel mentioned--exercise, random acts of kindness, talking to friends, being out of doors, anything that makes me happy.

I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Go out into the sun and exercise lightly, walk.

Get new ideas by reading a book: Aarto Paasilainen´s Collective Suicide doesn´t sound funny but it is. My sil had lent it to me and I´ve read it until 3 in the morning.

I hope you´ll get well soon.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 03-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Go out into the sun and exercise lightly, walk.

Get new ideas by reading a book: Aarto Paasilainen´s Collective Suicide doesn´t sound funny but it is. My sil had lent it to me and I´ve read it until 3 in the morning.

I hope you´ll get well soon.

The man´s surname is: Paasilinna

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#6 Old 03-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The exercise thing REALLY works, for both depression and loss of appetite, especially if you exercise in the morning!

I too have experienced a radical loss of appetite recently...everything besides ice cream and pizza sounds terrible, and I'm trying to reduce my dairy intake. I think I have mono, and until I get tested, I can't exercise.....

Ok, I'm not trying to hiijack the thread, I just wanted to say that yes, some sunlight (for Vitamin D) and some exercise will probably do you wonders, and I hope you are feeling better very soon!
#7 Old 03-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

What everyone's said sounds great. Walking outside has always been good at stabalizing my eating habits -- when I'm eating too little or too much.

Has the weather changed where you are? When the weather changes, I usually go through a small period of no appetite. I can't really say why, but twice a year it happens. (I live in southern CA -- we only have two seasons. ) I have absolutely nothing scientific to back that up, just my own experience.

Hope you feel better soon.
#8 Old 03-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone

I feel better; I think the problem had to do with me quitting my job, having a small existential crisis, then not eating, which caused lethargy, and thus more depression.. yeah. But I went out in the sun and am eating regularly again (yay PMS!) Thanks for all of your kind suggestions and comments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page