painful knees - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-09-2004, 03:08 AM
Banned

I've always had minor problems with my joints - particularly my knees - but I have found that since I went vegan two months ago my knees have got noticebly worse. It might be coincidence that it has coincided with my going vegan, but maybe not. It used to only hurt after doing strenuous exercise (which I tend to avoid or adapt for that reason), but crouching, going up or down steps and sitting in one position too long hurt my knees. It's not completely agonising or anything, but I'm only 24 so I do worry it might get worse as time goes on.

Is there anything that I could be missing from my diet that I would have been getting on my lacto-ovo diet that I might not be getting now? I have started taking flaxseed capsules (though I am thinking of switching to the oil as I think it will absorb into the body better) and I also take supplements for B12, calcium and iodine. Anything else I could be missing out on?

If it's not something with my diet, are there any vegan-friendly supplements/remedies I could take? I thought about glucosamine, but haven't managed to find a UK vegan brand yet.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Kerry x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Kerry,

Try reducing the amount of nightshade vegetables you eat - such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant. I've noticed that if I go overboard on these, my knees get achey.

There's nothing like knee pain to make a person feel much older than they really are!
#3 Old 03-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The idea of nightshade vegetables is known for rheumatoid arthritis and I haven´t read a good study on. Kerry could decide whether it´s worth a try. But include potatoes as they belong to the nighshades too.

The glucosamine studies on people with osteoarthritis have been criticized at the big congresses (EULAR and ACR) because of the poor statics. I wouldn´t recomment a drug / supplement which has been on the market for over 30 years and wasn´t able to prove it´s benefit.

I don´t think it has anything to do with your change of diet!!!

Try to get a diagnosis - see an orthopedic.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

i dunno my knees are always sore lately. more stiff than achy though. i blame it on my weightloss but i blame my weightloss on not eating properly so i could be lacking something. i try to take a calcium-magnesium supplement, and i've heard it's better to take it at night because we lose more calcium from our bones at night. not sure if it helps or not though.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 03-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for the response, guys. I don't eat a huge amount of tomatoes and peppers anyway as I'm not overkeen on them (other than in sauces etc). I don't want to cut further things out of my diet if I can help it though - being vegan restricts me enough!

I'll try switching my calcium-magnesium supplement to night time to see if that helps!

Thanks!

Kerry x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page