Eating before bedtime - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it better to go to bed hungry or somewhat 'full'? I'm not talking bloated kind of full, but maybe satieted. I always get really hungry right before I go to sleep...just a-wonderin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a personal decision. I always sleep better on a relatively full stomach than on an empty one.
#3 Old 03-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

They say you shouldn't eat right before bed. But I agree I like to eat right before bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I always eat before I go to bed, otherwise I can't sleep!
#5 Old 03-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

I always eat before I go to bed, otherwise I can't sleep!

Ditto. In fact, I'm eating right now! If you're concerned about weight gain, I lost about 35 pounds over about a year, and I was eating at night the whole time. Not stuffing myself, mind you, but I think it's not good to ever let yourself go hungry, especially if it's going to interfere with a good night's sleep.
#6 Old 03-07-2004, 11:33 PM

I always eat later at night. I heard it is better not to go to bed hungry, however they say you shouldn't be really full or stuffed before going to sleep.
#7 Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

In between ...sleeping on a full stomach isn't very good for you (cant remember my sources though) plus eating gives me energy which would keep me awake...but at the same time its hard to get to sleep if your stomachs growling. Maybe have a glass of milk or soymilk so you have something in your stomach and to help you get to sleep?
#8 Old 03-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to eat something light. If I eat something heavy right before I go to sleep I am more likely to have nightmares. And those are scary. Then I have fish out the stuffed animals and they get cranky when I wake them up in the middle of the night.
#9 Old 03-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I just ate a bowl of cereal. I was starving though cause I barely ate all day. I find if I go to bed hungry, I feel narsty in the morning, and if I go to bed full, also feel narsty. I think its good to go to bed not hungry, but not stuffed.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 03-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

agree with all responses. i like to eat before bed, though sometimes i will eat more than required. but generally, i like to eat something light, like a bowl of fruit, or a large apple, before bed. helps me to sleep better and also not wake up feeling hungry at 5am.
#11 Old 03-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I sometimes have a small snack like a bowl of Cheerios but nothing heavy or else I can't sleep.
#12 Old 03-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel very acidic in the morning if I eat a really heavy meal before I go to sleep. But lighter food is nice...definitely better than an empty stomach when trying to sleep.
#13 Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Beginner

I don't like to, but most days I do. becuase I can't not for some reason.
#14 Old 03-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Keegan, please don´t read my post!

Lots of people feel better it they eat something in the everning. A banana would be a good choice because it contains both tryptophane/serotonin as well as simple and complex carbs to promote these to get into the brain, which would be good to make you sleepy. People with weight problems (obviously not Keegan) could eat some tofu and a lemon, which is said to get your body into burning more energy.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#15 Old 03-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm at the point where i eat whenever i can. like today i was out and about all day with a friend. we came home for a quick lunch, i had a sandwich, then back out again. got home around supper time, i was too hungry to cook anything so i had a bit of leftovers and snacked a bit later. now it's 11pm and i'm starved! i'm having a can of lentil soup, one can is 2 servings and i always eat the whole thing at one sitting, i'm gonna also have crackers and bread with earth balance with that. i have to, i feel like i haven't eaten anything today though i have.

this happens now and then when i don't have a bigger meal earlier in the day. in this case i know i don't have to get up early tomorrow so i can eat this big meal and then stay up for a couple hours. i couldn't go straight to bed after all that my stomach would gurgle all night and i'd wake up with stomach cramps.

otherwise if i'm not starving to death i'll just have like a pb&j sandwich or fruit or a handful of crackers, just enough to stop my stomach growling so i can go to bed.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#16 Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Lately I find I can eat a lot of food in the evenings, like, around 11 o'clock. I mean, this is when I usually eat *real* food. It'll be midnight and I'm cooking up pasta. The boyfriend is like, what the hell are you cooking at twelve o'clock for? Well, I got hungry. I don't usually have that kind of appetite at "dinner time." Eat when you want to/when it feels good to your body. That's all.
#17 Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, my mother used to almost force bedtime snacks upon us as kids. Or rather, heavily suggest them. "It's not good to go that long without food." (i.e., between dinner and breakfast.) I think she's probably right. A little snack before an eight-ten hour fast is a good call.
#18 Old 03-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

And yar... third post! Whoo! Can't I say everything at once?

I cannot sleep hungry. I just know if I do get to sleep, I'll wake up in an hour with a grumbly tummy. I keep a stash of luna bars at all places where I might end up going to bed (the boyfriend's, various girls, my parent's houses, etc.) Right before bedtime I pop one of those suckers down. Even if I'm not that darn hungry... I know from experience. My body will wake up at three am complaining if I don't feed it before bed.
#19 Old 03-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah. my soup's all settled and stuff so i'm having a fruit cup and going to bed.you're right though, between dinner and breakfast is a long time to go without food. and believe it or not we still burn calories while sleeping. i have to eat breakfast within like a half hour of getting up or i feel sick to my stomach, dizzy and weak.

on the other hand a friend of mine lost weight by working out first thing in the morning and then eating breakfast. when you're completely on empty you'll burn fat instead of carbs so it's the best time to work out to lose weight supposedly. makes sense. so long as you don't skip the breakfast afterwards

but yeah figure you eat supper at 6pm and most people get up after 6, 12 hours or more without eating is just not good

suppose it's why i'm more prone to later suppers, i tend to sleep late so breakfast is more around lunchtime.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#20 Old 03-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually eat dinner between 6 and 7...and I usually go to bed at 2. That's a LONG time to go without food..I usually end up snacking around midnight, which I think works seeing as how I'm not gonna eat breakfast till 8 or 9. So I usually end up snacking a couple of hours before bedm which seems to work for me. I'm not stuffed, but I'm not hungry. I can't sleep if I'm hungry.
#21 Old 03-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If I eat right before bed, I wake with a stomach ache.
#22 Old 03-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

usually I have dinner and then random snackings. But I just had dinner about an hour ago and am currently really really hungry...time for food again

I guess the general consensus is to just listen to your body!
#23 Old 03-09-2004, 09:04 PM

eating just before bed gives me an energy boost for the morning and helps me get up. you dont have to eat anything big, just something small and dense in calories and nutrients (calories mainly from proteins and complex carbs)
#24 Old 03-09-2004, 09:54 PM

you should eat something before you go to bed, because you won't be eating again for another 6+ hours. plus, going to bed on an empty stomach is no fun. my stomach would keep me up all night!

i think peanutbutter on whole wheat toast is the perfect bedtime snack- complex carbs to tide you over, some satiating good fats, and protein.
#25 Old 03-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Beginner

I'm about to go to bed, and I've just had a piece of fresh breadmaker (recipe is now just about perfected I think!) toast with organic raspberry jam, and soya milk maker hot chocolate made with Montezuma chocolate offcut granule thingumies. Mmmmmmmm! I'm gonna sleep well tonight.
#26 Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually eat dinner around 7-9, somewhere I read that most people that eat too much before they go to bed, don't eat breakfast or don't want it. Make sure your getting enough fiber in your dinner.
#27 Old 03-17-2004, 07:48 PM

maybe
#28 Old 03-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I find when I eat a lot before bed, I don't sleep very well. I either have bad dreams all night, toss and turn, or I'm up every hour. The same thing happens if I go to bed with an empty stomach. So, if I'm hungry, eating a light snack before bed is just right for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page