hypothyroidism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Apparently my thyroid is very "sluggish" and not working well.I start taking levothyroxine two pills of .05mg in the morning. I am scared of the side effects. I am a healthy, youngish, weight at around 110 and 5'4 and eat healthy so I am confused as to what could have brought this on. I think at about 16 (I am almost 31) a DR said something about being borderline with a thyroid issue I just do not remember what it was. Since then this is the first full medical work up I have had. I am scared to take the drug. One of my sisters and my mother take it but I am adopted and they are 50 and 73. I should send my bio-sister a message about this. Anyway, is anyone on this or experienced any of these issues before?

Quote:
What are the symptoms?

Hypothyroidism can cause \t\t\t many different symptoms, such as:
  • Feeling tired, weak, or \t\t\t\tdepressed.
  • Dry skin and brittle nails.
  • Not being able \t\t\t\tto stand the cold.
  • Constipation.
  • Memory problems or \t\t\t\thaving trouble thinking clearly.
  • Heavy or irregular \t\t\t\tmenstrual periods.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/h...topic-overview

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh wow I was considering making a thread on this also. My younger sister was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was prescribed the same medication as you. She is also small and very thin which I thought was odd since hypo is more common with people who gain weight easily. She is also young...16!!! I'm very nervous about her being so young and being on the levothyroxine. Plus even though it's only .05 mg she was prescribed, she has a very low tolerance to meds and even an asprin knocks her out for the day.

I'm sorry I have no advice but I'm also extremely curious and interested in hearing other's experiences and opinions.
#3 Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

i'd go see another endo doc and repeat the labs before i did that. is there a dietary change you can make without resorting to medication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Taking levothyroxine really just replaces the thyroid hormone that your thyroid should be making. It can be life threatening to have low thyroid hormone levels, so please talk to your doctor if you're thinking about not taking the medication.

There isn't usually anything that brings hypothyroidism on -- it just happens, and it's fairly common in young women (including around your age). It's usually autoimmune, but there could be other causes as well.
#5 Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I take Synthroid every day for hypothyroidism. It's no big deal - I take a tiny pill every morning when I get up because it's supposed to work best on an empty stomach. And then I can forget about it for the rest of the day.

There are no side effects that I'm aware of. At the very least, I don't experience any.

Everything else I know has already been posted.

Start taking the pills, and watch how your body reacts. If anything, your symptoms should improve.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! I hope it helps a bit and not makes me go wonkie. I was also put on extra vitamins and progesterone cream. Apparently, I am all kinds of messed up.

I know about sensitivity to meds. I take half doses of otc stuff or I am very out of it.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

it's one of those things if you need it, take it. You DON'T want to go through life with untreated hypothyroidism. There was just a thread not to long ago about the same thing. You can end up with cardiac amongst other problems if you let it go.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditio...hypothyroidism

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#8 Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

how much soy do you consume?
might want to consider going soy-free if not already.
#9 Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 AM

Also, you should look at what kinds of foods you are eating. There are foods that are 'goitrogenic' that impair your thyroids ability to function. Among other things you should limit/or avoid walnuts, soy products, raw brocolli/cabbages, peaches, peanuts, strawberries, etc. If you Google 'thyroid avoid foods' or something like that you'll get a more complete list. Because your thyroid is sort of the command centre for lots of functions in your body, you gotta take care of it so knowing about these foods is important. Also, you might not be getting enough iodine in your diet if you are using a plain sea salt, switch to an iodized salt.

And while it is a bit of a pain in the backside, you don't need to be scared. Just take the little pill which simply puts more of the thyroid hormones into your body, watch what you eat and life should go on the same. The hardest thing that I had to deal with was a 'peanut addiction' which I knew was a no-no but I finally got that under control (I don't buy them anymore). I read that 8 out 10 women in North America have thyroid issues, most of which are undiagnosed. Apparently it is some sort of auto-immune disease. Who knows, maybe the prevalance of those kind of issues (auto-immune diseases are varied and numerous) has something to do with the abuse that we've heaped on our environment, from 'bad' foods (think genetically modified, to stuff dosed with Roundup, to impure water and air and whatever else we've done to it, as well as modern day stressors, etc.)
#10 Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, I will look into the diet stuff. In a month and a half she is going to do tests to see if my body is attacking the thyroid and it is an autoimmune thing. Weird a few months ago one of my sisters was having me look up things about http://www.medicinenet.com/hashimoto...is/article.htm and now they doing tests to see if it could be that. I remember reading off the things to her and thinking no that sounds more like me but I always over think and am a bit of a hypochondriac.

Marilyn Monroe
#11 Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm have an under active thyroid and would personally take the medicine. The side effects of an untreated thyroid problem can be serious, not something to mess with.

I can always tell when I haven't had mine and it is not fun.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#12 Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never had the symptoms of hypo but now that I am on the medication I am. I am tired all the time, depressed, bloated, weight gain and horrible constipation. She already cut my dose in half and I still feel horrible. It is like 3-4 days without using the bathroom and by then I have gained 5lbs and 2 inches in my waist. I am going to see if I can go on something different or not take it. I hate it so very much, I feel so gross.

Marilyn Monroe
#13 Old 10-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hopefully there is something else. The others are right, you don't want to mess with untreated hypothyroidism.
#14 Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Hopefully there is something else. The others are right, you don't want to mess with untreated hypothyroidism.

What she said.

*this space not for sale*
#15 Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Veggie Regular

The bloating and the weight gain are probably due to the constipation since you are literally full of sh*t .

Hopefully the dr can put you on a different med that won't have such crappy side effects as this one is having. In the mean time try eating a bunch of prunes. They aren't as disgusting as they sound. They taste like big raisins and help things move along.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page