Why Are People Vegetarians or Vegans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Banned

People usually have different reasons for becoming vegetarians or vegans. Some follow vegetarian or semi-vegetarian diets mostly for health reasons. For instance, a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and grains tends to be lower in fat/cholesterol, which is good for your heart and body. It's also likely to be a high fiber diet. Then there are the people who choose a strict vegan diet for ethical reasons, health reasons and/or environmental reasons. No matter what the reason being a vegan or vegetarian does not in any way limit a person's lifestyle choice or deprive a person of anything that a non-vegetarian might have.

And if you would like to understand some of the moral, ethical, environmentally reasons behind Why Vegan, then let's start here ...

It takes 22 times the acres of land to meet the food energy needs of one person eating meat than it does for one person eating potatoes.

It takes more than 13 times the water to produce one day's food supply for an omnivore than it does for a vegan.

It takes 27 times the petroleum to produce a hamburger than it does a soy burger.

The land animals confined and killed every year excrete 130 times the feces and urine produced by humans.

Livestock production also utilizes more than eight percent of global water use, primarily for feed-crop irrigation.

The annual greenhouse gas output from burger consumption is the equivalent to the annual greenhouse gas output from between four and 13 million SUVs.

Read more: http://www.disabled-world.com/fitnes...#ixzz1JZiCtrlE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

My reason is much simpler. I wouldn't do anything to an animal that I wouldn't do to my three year old niece, and I wouldn't pay anyone else to either.

Tam! RUGH!
#3 Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Animals never did anything to me. so, why should i harm them?

Plus, i tend to like animals more than people.

The Big Bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-16-2011, 08:52 AM
The prowling wolf

I became vegetarian for the animals in the first place, why eat them when there are enough other sources of food in our rich western society?

Now after four months of being vegetarian, I noticed that my health improved greatly. I lost 11 kilo's (20 pounds), my skin cleared up, I have no more digestion problems and I have more energy. That's a definite reason to keep it up!

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#5 Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM

I became Vegetarian for the animals. I didn't eat that much meat to begin with as I didn't like it. When I did eat it....I felt really guilty. So I just stopped eating it and now I feel alot better...in my body and in my soul!

*The trees are whispering to me, reminding me of my roots, and my reach... shhhhhh... can you hear them?
Selflessly sharing their subtle song.

*Come and share a pot of tea, my home is warm and my friendship's free
#6 Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't liked meat since I was 3 years old and got horrified by learning we were eating a cow. The idea of eating an animal just didn't make sense to me. I can't explain it better than that. Growing up in an omni family, I still ate meat, and (ashamed to admit it) came to like the taste of some meats (though mostly prepared meats with lots of spices). Now that I'm independent and much more educated on the topic and much less afraid to put my foot down, I finally have a guilt-free conscious about the foods I eat It just feels natural to not eat an animal.
#7 Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Banned

i am vegan because all animal products, including dairy, eggs and fish are terrible for your vascular health.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page