Insomnia - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#1 Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

So I searched and didn't find an insomnia thread. Anyone else have sleep issues?

I've had insomnia problems my whole life. It just sort of comes and goes, and affects me differently at different times. For some reason, my sleep issues have kicked into high gear over the last 6 or 7 weeks. At one point, I took a couple of days off work and used an ambien to force myself to get enough rest, and I was ok for about a week after that, but then things went downhill again.

I really need to go see my doctor some time soon. If nothing else, I'm almost out of ambien, so I need him to give me a refill. Also, my health insurance is changing at the end of this month, so I need to find out if my current doctor will take my new insurance. I'm not that attached, though, so if I have to change doctors, it's not a big deal.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

This book helped me

http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Awake-M-C.../dp/0716717964

There are some others out there:

http://www.amazon.com/More-Sleepless...ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Ins...0380096&sr=1-1
#3 Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

So I scheduled an appointment on Tuesday with my doctor.

Last night, I took an ambien and slept for about 11.5 hours, which is good, because I needed to catch up from some of the days when I didn't get enough sleep recently. Then I had trouble waking up in the morning, and was groggy for about 4 hours after I got out of bed. I thought I was ok this afternoon, but I'm not convinced that I'll be able to sleep normally tonight. I'm hoping to leave work early enough to go outside and exercise before the sun goes down, in the hopes of wearing myself down and sleeping better later, without taking another sleeping pill tonight.

I remember when I first took ambien a few years ago, it didn't leave me nearly as groggy the next day as any of the other sleeping pills I'd tried, which is why I liked it best. I don't know why I'm having more problems with that recently. I'll have to bring that up with my doctor, among other things.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

When I first got the ambien it didn't seem to work for me. I saw all those news stories about people so out of it they sleep walked/drove/ate/etc and didn't see how it could possibly happen. Now though they work fairly well. They can leave me a bit slow the next a.m. too so have to be choosy about what night I can take them. I can go three days without sleeping and I get awfully b*tchy so for the sake of the hubby & kid I need to sleep really well once in a while.
#5 Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I sometimes have trouble falling asleep, even with the ambien or other pills, but they do eventually put me to sleep, which is better than not sleeping at all. But once I'm out, they keep me out, which is good for the first 8 hours, but bad in that it leaves me groggy the next day, even 12-15 hours after taking the pill. That's why I usually try to avoid taking them during the week, so I won't be groggy at work the next day, but I've been bad enough lately to get desperate and take them a little more often.

About the sleep walking on ambien thing, I actually had my first experience with that a few weeks ago. After taking the pill, I usually do a couple of other things before getting right into bed. Apparently, I checked a web forum where I'm a member and posted something, and didn't remember doing it when I saw my post the next day. Luckily, I didn't post anything weird or controversial, just a basic answer to a question, but it was still weird to see the post the next day and think "I don't remember writing that."

--Fromper
#6 Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

medical marijuana is my cure for insomnia
#7 Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Being ADHD I have always had troubles going to bed. I've found it harder to fall asleep since switching to an all plant diet. I think its because i'm getting more calories from natural sources - mainly from fruit, and therefor will have more energy. Theres simple techniques to help you fall asleep, personally I have found reading a chapter in any book before I go to bed. Also aromatherapy http://www.holisticonline.com/remedi...omatherapy.htm And its not listed on the site but if i spray my bed sheets with vanilla body spray I go to sleep easier.
I dont drink caffeine 6 hours before bed and dont smoke for 20-30 mins before bed. (Both are stimulants). Also caffeine blocks vitamins from being absorbed properly.
And another thing about coffee I find that when I dont sleep well one night I will drink excessive amounts of coffee during the day then obv cant fall asleep again cause i've had like 6 cups in the morning.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#8 Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Ankle Biter

I often have trouble falling asleep. Alchohol helps me drift off, but the quality of sleep isn't so great. I, too, have Ambien. I try not to use it too often because it makes me jittery the next day. I do have pretty good luck with 2 mgs. of melatonin, but only if I'm not stressed about something specific. If I am, it has to be Ambien for me to fall asleep.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

medical marijuana is my cure for insomnia

I was just going to say! But I was poopoo'ed in another thread for speaking of such things!

Forget the chemically created drugs, and stay true to your plant based lifestyle.

It's my cure for EVERYTHING.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#10 Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I was just going to say! But I was poopoo'ed in another thread for speaking of such things!

Forget the chemically created drugs, and stay true to your plant based lifestyle.

It's my cure for EVERYTHING.

its the only thing that settles my stomach and boosts my appetite - I have a birth defect that isn't common so there aren't a lot of chemical drugs developed to treat it
the one i was prescribed gave me bad side effects
Also good pain killer thats not tested on animals
My brother has bad chrones disease (I know if he was vegetarian it may help his symptoms but noooo meat is soooo good >.<) and it helps him too

#11 Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

The earths gift. Why destroy your body with chemicals when such there is such an amazing alternative!

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#12 Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Sleep? What is this sleep you speak of?

I go many nights with low to no sleep then crash a lot a day or two a week.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#13 Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've struggled with insomnia off and on for ages.

It's gotten so bad I've started hallucinating during the day...

No Rx meds seem to work properly for me. Sonata and Rozerem help me fall asleep, but I wake up roughly every half hour on them and can't get back to sleep. Lunesta leaves a nasty taste in my mouth I can't stand and doesn't work all that well anyway. Ambien makes me hallucinate. Trazadone doesn't work, period.

I once took 42 Valium and that did the trick. So did 12 Tylenol PMs. But apparently neither of those things are good for you or your liver. OMG WHO KNEW?

The only thing that ever really knocked me on my ass was Seroquel. But I didn't much care for taking anti-psychotics for a sleep disorder.

So I gave up. I eventually began sleeping okay for the most part, but I still have really bad nights.

Feh.
#14 Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The earths gift. Why destroy your body with chemicals when such there is such an amazing alternative!

I struggled with insomnia for years, and it's the only thing that ever worked for me.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Deleted
#16 Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I won't do any illegal drugs, but I've actually considered alcohol as a possible sleep aid. I drink so rarely that I have no idea if it would make me drowsy, but I figure it can't hurt to try it. I also have no idea what type to buy - the only thing I know about alcohol is that I hate the taste of beer.

--Fromper
#17 Old 03-19-2011, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I have insomnia too. Someone recommended Valerian Root to me. It worked for about 3 weeks (slept pretty much right through every night) then I must have gotten used to it or something cos it wasnt -as- effective anymore.
Might be worth looking into.
#18 Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

For what it's worth, I've heard that alcohol does in fact help you fall asleep, but the quality of your sleep isnt very good so you still feel pretty much like a zombie in the morning. Like you, Fromper, I don't care for the taste of beer- so I've never tried this out myself. Anyway, I figure insomnia is less of a problem than alcoholism would be (if I were prone to it- and I have reason to think I might be).

Anyhow- I have trouble falling asleep (and sometimes staying asleep) quite often. I find that leaving a radio on (not too loud) helps me drift off. My attention is drawn to whatever I'm listening to, instead of my mind racing about this, that, or something else. I can even fall asleep listening to "Coast To Coast"!!! (For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a late-night talk show that deals with ghosts, aliens, magic, conspiracies, etc, etc.... you get the picture. I find it merely amusing rather than unsettling.)

I've heard that a workout earlier in the day will make it difficult to fall asleep if you exercise too soon before going to bed, but I haven't experienced this. My workouts just leave me in a warm, loose, laid-back mood.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#19 Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Deleted
#20 Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I've heard that a workout earlier in the day will make it difficult to fall asleep if you exercise too soon before going to bed, but I haven't experienced this. My workouts just leave me in a warm, loose, laid-back mood.

Exercise can sometimes get my adrenaline pumping, which makes it harder to sleep. But if I exercise 4+ hours before bed time, it should wear off by then, and in theory, expending all that energy should wear me out. But it doesn't seem to work out that way. Either exercising knocks me out rapidly so I need a nap within an hour, or not at all.

--Fromper
#21 Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Impeach the gangster

Somebody- I think Milton- said the body requires 5-hours sleep per day, custom requires seven, laziness requires nine, and wickedness requires eleven!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#22 Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Somebody- I think Milton- said the body requires 5-hours sleep per day, custom requires seven, laziness requires nine, and wickedness requires eleven!

I need about 7.5, but I frequently only get 5. Then I try to "catch up" on the weekend when I don't have to wake up for work, by getting 9-11 hours for one night.

--Fromper
#23 Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I need about 7.5, but I frequently only get 5. Then I try to "catch up" on the weekend when I don't have to wake up for work, by getting 9-11 hours for one night.

--Fromper

My sleep habits are crazy too.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#24 Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Well considering that it's now 7am and I haven't had any sleep yet I belong here...

This is a regular occurrence. I am going to try to stay awake all day but even if I do crash around 3pm I will still only sleep until around 9 and I will wake up feeling worse but unable to get back to sleep...

I have been to the doctors about this. They just gave me Diazepam. That was fun. I took it, spent the next 3 or 4 hours trying to grab the pretty white floating lights, fell asleep, slept for about 18 hours, woke up feel awful, went back to sleep for another 10 or so hours... Woke up still feeling awful but couldn't face going back to sleep so got up even though it was about 2am... Which of course meant that my sleeping patterns were still screwed... Doctor gave it to me to use to just get my sleeping patterns sorted.. But yeah I really don't want to go to the doctors again about this. I switched doctors (due to moving) and my new doctor took the diazepam off me and gave me antidepressants. I have since come off the ADs as they seriously screwed me about (and didn't do anything for the sleeping) but it's on my doctors notes that the insomnia is linked to my mental health problems so the only thing they say to me is that I should go back on ADs... No thank you!
So yeah, I'm screwed. I've tried herbal stuff.. It works for about a fortnight and then stops.
#25 Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, I won't do any illegal drugs,

--Fromper

That's a shame...

#26 Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, I won't do any illegal drugs, but I've actually considered alcohol as a possible sleep aid. I drink so rarely that I have no idea if it would make me drowsy, but I figure it can't hurt to try it. I also have no idea what type to buy - the only thing I know about alcohol is that I hate the taste of beer.

--Fromper

as a veggie we all know that legality isn't always a good indication as to weather or not an activity is moral. Alcohol is worse for you than most illegal drugs. And because alcohol is so addictive its not a good idea to use it as a sleep aid.

Quote:

That's a shame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I've studied sleep habits in school as the psychological part of my studies and I can tell you 5 hours is not nearly enough. To complete a REM cycle one needs three hours of sleep, and to function properly you need to complete two REM cycles every 24 hrs.

#27 Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

as a veggie we all know that legality isn't always a good indication as to weather or not an activity is moral. Alcohol is worse for you than most illegal drugs. And because alcohol is so addictive its not a good idea to use it as a sleep aid.

For me, it's not a question of morality. I don't have a problem with people using alcohol, or even illegal drugs, as long as they don't get themselves addicted. And I don't have a problem with drinking alcohol myself, which is why I said I'd consider using it to help me sleep.

We're not talking heavy quantities to get drunk, or even enough to get buzzed. I got drunk a couple of times in college and decided it's not a good idea, so I just don't do that any more. On the very rare occasion I do drink, it's usually a single glass of wine at a dinner party or something. So alcohol addiction isn't a problem for me personally, which is why I thought that maybe a single glass of something in the evening to help me relax and fall sleep easier might be worth trying.

--Fromper
#28 Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Deleted
#29 Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Rabbit your right prescription sleep aids are also addictive, so your right there. And I do drink occasionally so I'm not anti-alcohol.
Fromper I asked a few people about alcohol before bed and my family said whisky, rye or scotch. But if you don't like beer those also taste terrible and i dont think the sugar form pop would be a good idea to help you fall asleep

#30 Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I've studied sleep habits in school as the psychological part of my studies and I can tell you 5 hours is not nearly enough. To complete a REM cycle one needs three hours of sleep, and to function properly you need to complete two REM cycles every 24 hrs.

Interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page