I guess this is a mental Health question about television - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Lately I've been thinking about cutting the t.v. off for good at least in my case - making hubby give it up would be a little harder - because I'm trying to control my temper and to clear my mind of all bad things, etc.

Has anyone else every done this and if so what is your opinion on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2004, 02:44 PM

my husband wil never give up tv, but i watch very little. my daughter isn't allowed to watch tv during the week. even when she can on the weekends she usually doesn't with the exception of the teenage mutant ninja turtles on sat morning. i think that this is why she'doesn't ask for crap at the store or ask for fast food. it probably has a lot to do with why she is 7 and in 1st grade, but tested out at a 5th grade reading level. i think that giving up tv, if not at least cutting down is a very good idea. everything is pretty much crap on tv nowadays anyway.
#3 Old 02-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a great idea to give up tv. If you can't go cold turkey, just start by making a list of the shows that you most want to watch. Think about what you get from the show. Does it contribute positively to your life? Then make a list of things you'd rather do. Call that friend you haven't spoken to in ages. Give yourself a pedicure. Take a walk. Read. Take a course on something you've always wanted to learn (dance, cooking, a language, photography, knitting etc). I think you'll realize the reward you get from doing these activities is far greater than tv.

As for your husband, telling him he can't watch tv will make it upset. Start out asking him if he could watch 30 minutes less television a day. He can pick the show he wants to give up. Then spent the time talking. Pick up travel brochures of places he would love to visit. Day dream together. Talk about old times. Exchange backrubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I usually watch way too much TV, but I did live in a house without a TV once for almost two years, and I didn't miss it at all. It's not nearly as hard as you thik.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't have a tv for a three year period ending about four years ago. I was sort of addicted to bad tv (daytime talk shows, tv movies, etc.) at the time and wasn't too happy about that. Plus, for the first time I was living without a roommate who had a tv, so I decided not to get one. I think it was really good for me. It allowed me to get a lot more stuff done and concentrate more on my reading and writing (I was in a graduate writing program at the time). Now that I have a tv again, I still probably watch too much, but I'm much more discriminating about what I watch. If I have a child, I think I would cut way down on my tv watching, if not get rid of it entirely. I think with a few exceptions, tv is really detrimental to kids and inhibits creativity and physical activity. If you find yourself upset a lot by what you see on tv, I'd say get rid of it for awhile and see how it goes. Radio (some), newspapers and the internet are usually better news sources anyway, and movies (some), music, museums, etc. are usually better entertainment.
#6 Old 02-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Banned

Television is a drug, but like most drugs, it is only harmful if you abuse it. If you use a drug for occassional recreation (movies, sitcoms, sports, getting stoned at a frat party, etc.), for non-recreational purposes (news, learning-network shows, antibiotics, etc.), or for inspiration (movies, religious programming, vision-quests, etc.), you're not likely to do yourself any harm.
#7 Old 02-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

When my mother remarried, my stepfather took television away from me and my older brother for about 3 years. He lied and said it was broken & we didn't have money to get it fixed. It was torture sometimes, but I learned to read and write during that time - not much of an exaggeration (and I was 11 - 14) I went from failing to Bs...

I haven't been as good with my own kids as I wish I had been. I used to have a rule about no electronics on Sunday, but I've recently let that slide a bit...

I know someone who keeps their TV in a closet and they only bring it out a few times a year...I admire that, but I'm not going to do that. I am very careful what my kids watch, though.

I think I use my television to counter the small town blues...
#8 Old 02-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

i gave up t.v. when i got the internet. well, that's not entirely true. 2 or 3 nights a week i like to watch about an hour before bed, usually The Antiques Roadshow (best show ever!).

my kids still watch it though. we have a channel here in canada called "treehouse" and it's children's programming (educational) 24/7, all advertisement-free. i don't feel bad about letting them watch it. they probably get an hour a day during the week (usually when i'm cooking dinner) and we don't turn it on at all during the weekends because that's when we're doing family stuff while my husband is home.
#9 Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, when I was a christian I would fast from the TV and Internet a lot more often than I would fast from food. They were bigger strongholds for me. It's a great idea to shut off the TV for a while and break the addiction. It can be a refreshing experience.
#10 Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

oh, and one thing i wanted to say was, we used to watch much more...like the t.v. would be on as "background noise" pretty much all the time, but then we moved into a new place with more space, and we put the good t.v. in the downstairs "rumpus room" and the older one up in my bedroom. i found that just not having it on the main floor really curbed our urges to have it on when there was really nothing we wanted to watch.
#11 Old 02-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

i've been thinking about it. bills have gotten out of hand so we cut down to basic cable. we had digital and then cut down to the ultimate cable package and now just basic cable up to channel 28.

i mentioned it to my boyfriend, we don't miss the higherup channels as much as we thought we would, and if we had no tv at all we'd get a lot more done around the house. we're both really bad for sitting in front of the tv all day/night when there are more productive things to be doing.

but then we realized we've gotten so lazy that we'd just play video games all day instead

but i'm thinking about cutting "non-essential" shows. like not watching total garbage when there's nothing good on. i'm thinking of making a schedule of what shows i really don't want to miss and stick to just those. i really don't need to see american idol just because there's nothing better. really.

but all in all i don't think there's anything wrong with tv in general, i think violent shows and movies only effect you if you let them and i don't think i'm desensitized when it comes to reality though "violent" stuff is usually what i prefer to watch. it's just a matter of being responsible.

but i find it's easier to go without tv if you have music. like Kreeli mentioned tv is sometimes just background noise, i do all sorts of things in front of the tv and only half watch, radio would have the same purpose. (and use less electricity)

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Rie
Veggie Regular

My fiance watches tons of TV, as he did growing up as well. Growing up, we watched educational programs like Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, or anything PBS. As we got older, we'd watch TV at the dinner table as a family. Still, I don't flip it on generally when I'm home alone, unless I need background noise or a specific show I like is on.
#13 Old 02-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone suggested to me that I might try Tivo -- record the programs that you truly like, and you'll be much less likely to sit in front of random stuff that doesn't really interest you anyway. I may have to test that theory!

I'm perfectly happy to go without TV when I don't have it, but I just got cable again. So far I haven't been too bad with it. VB and NPR are more enticing!

I still like Sesame Street.
#14 Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I confess I do watch quite a bit...But I have recently started recording what I want to watch, and then watching it at appropriate times. It means I don't have to miss stuff, and I also don't get distracted from my studies etc.

I admit it doesn't always go to plan but I think it is an acceptable compromise.

TV in general..I don't have a prob with it..I reckon once you're an adult you make your own choices and we all need some vegging out time. I sometimes don't have the concentration to read instead because I spend all day with my nose in a book.

Still, everything in moderation I reckon.
#15 Old 02-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the best things we ever did as a family was get rid of our cable. We have a small antenna and we get ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, and PBS. My kids watch kid's shows on PBS and CBS has Nick Jr. on the weekend. There are a few shows my husband or I will watch in the evenings from time to time. It's been 4 years without cable and we don't miss it a bit. Many days go by without the tv being turned on once, especially on the weekends. We do a lot more as a family plus we save money.

Christa
#16 Old 02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say you'd be more prone to watch more tv if you get TIVO. Shows you would otherwise miss, now you're saving up to watch. I don't have TIVO, but I find myself doing this all the time with shows I've recorded off the internet. I watch a lot more TV now that I have high speed internet and can record the shows there. //
#17 Old 02-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post

I still like Sesame Street.

Rock on! My Mom says that she stills watches it from time to time, and her youngest kid is 18 now!

"One of these things is not like the other... one of these things does not belong...."
#18 Old 02-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

"Sunny day, chasing the clouds away, on my way to where the air is free! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Streeeeet?"

My little sis is 14 years younger, so when she was watching it I discovered that it was still enjoyable! These days I like to watch it when I babysit for friends.
#19 Old 02-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

: )

I have a friend who is in the process of collecting all 4000+ episodes of Sesame Street. He's got quite an impressive collection but nowhere near complete.
#20 Old 02-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

The idea of making a list of your favorite tv programs is a good idea. You prioritize your time that way. I have two favorite programs. NYPD Blue and Biography. I also enjoy CNN and the local news, so I watch those the most and an occasional movie.
#21 Old 02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Beginner

hmm...this reminds me, Alias is an awesome show
#22 Old 02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

i've heard this. when does alias air? i want to make a point of watching it.
#23 Old 08-20-2004, 02:57 AM

i watch to much tv i will con fess to that but i will say i see it as a inspiring peace of art i lovie talent when i watch movies i pay attention to framing, acting,qualitie of film,

and i also like to be entertaind as well its muti tasking and doing all that is hard but i love it its only bad when u watch to much tv cause ur lazy
#24 Old 08-20-2004, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you're addicted to television. Go outside a kick a ball.
#25 Old 08-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Kreeli - it's on ABC, Sunday nights at 8:00 central ... They aren't having a new season though until January. You should be able to find the first two seasons of episodes in a video rental place though if you want some backstory.
#26 Old 08-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I've gone months without it, though I'm getting satellite installed tomorrow. Dish Network.

I'm a big DVR fan, though I don't have TiVo. I'll probably end up watching more television, but the great thing about DVRs is time-shifting and banking up shows I want to watch, being able to skip past commercials, etc. I like being on top of what's going on within my industry. If I wasn't in entertainment, I'd probably watch less TV and more movies. I do like to be entertained about 10 hours a week, one way or another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page