Full Spectrum Lights - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM

I have 3 questions about theses:

I've heard these help with sleep, due to the brightness of the lights, but does it help with vitamin D (or is that only from the sun)?

Also would it only be useful to use in the morning, since if used at night or near night the brightness will make your body think it's day?

And lastly I saw a full spectrum light bulb (by Blues Buster) but it says it has small traces of mercury... is this unhealthy to use then?

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
mlp
Banned

I use full spectrum lights for my parrots, who need it (or actual sunlight, not filtered through glass) for health. I don't know whether it helps with Vitamin D in humans, though.

It is an extraordinarily pleasant light. I use long fluorescent full spectrum lightbulbs that I buy at the hardware store - much cheaper than what is sold in specialty shops, and has the same effectiveness. (I changed ceiling fixtures to accommodate the bulbs.)
#3 Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

ok, I have to admit, I got involved in a really heated debate on Dr Mercola's Facebook page, because he was advertising his tanningbeds, and full spectrum lights as being the safest. And basically, a bunch of us were like, " how can a physician in good faith advertise or tell his followers to go ahead and lay down in a tanning bed? " It actually got pretty nasty.

here is his link, just so you can review it, but the proof is in the pudding that tanning beds are not safe, and pose even more risk than the actual sun. he disputes that his lights are dangerous. so it's up to the consumer, but he states that many people can not manufacture the proper amt of Vit D even with supplementation.

http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/default.aspx

on the flip side, there is medical use for light therapy for psoriasis, and even depression, but my issue is with the tanning beds, in such close proximity.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM
mlp
Banned

Tanning beds and full spectrum lighting are two different things altogether. We're not talking about something with the intensity of a tanning bed, but rather with no more intensity than regular household lighting.
#5 Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

if that's true, then even he shouldn't be calling his product tanning beds, so that he doesn't confuse the people following him then.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#6 Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

I dont know anything about tanning beds, but I am just talking about the light bulbs. So when the package says contains small amounts of mercury is this unhealthy to use then? I dont really get how mercury is in the light either.
#7 Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
mlp
Banned

Craigy, all fluorescent bulbs contain trace amounts of mercury, but because they operate so efficiently, they result in release of less mercury into the environment than incadesent bulbs, since coal powered power plants produce mercury. More detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Jess, what I was trying to say is that the intensity of light, whether full spectrum or not, used in household use is completely different from the intensity of light used in a tanning bed. You're talking apples and oranges.
#8 Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

You need ultraviolet-B (UV-B) rays for vitamin D. I don't know how much, though.

They contain mercury because that is how they work: sending electricity through mercury vapor causes it to light up. It is only a hazard to you if the bulb breaks, but there is a much higher environmental concern about the mercury ending up in landfill.
#9 Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

You need ultraviolet-B (UV-B) rays for vitamin D. I don't know how much, though.

They contain mercury because that is how they work: sending electricity through mercury vapor causes it to light up. It is only a hazard to you if the bulb breaks, but there is a much higher environmental concern about the mercury ending up in landfill.

Thanks. So the mercury is dangerous in the physical bulb (so if I toss it in the landfill). The light being emitted isnt the dangerous part, correct? Appreciate it.
#10 Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post

Thanks. So the mercury is dangerous in the physical bulb (so if I toss it in the landfill). The light being emitted isnt the dangerous part, correct? Appreciate it.

Yes, that's correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page