Increasingly Weakening Digestive System? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Lets start with examples from the beginning, as a meat-eater:

In the mornings I couldn't handle really citrus fruits or juice, because it would upset my stomach. That and the meat revulsion, and sausage. Just having sausage in there and trying to swallow it.. well, it wouldn't go down. It was like the grease was so thick I just couldn't swallow it. Etc.

Then I became a vegetarian, and soon a vegan. It didn't take me long to realize that as a vegan, I have a tough time digesting any animal products. I know that sentence is contradicting, so let me explain. For example> My hubby and I used to get fries from the most popular french fry truck in town and slightly beyond.. but everytime I ate them I felt so sick - awful stomach ache, drowsy, greasy, and like I'm going to be sick for the next day. We soon found out that they cook their fries in beef fat. So anything that we thought was vegan, I would know if it was otherwise because it always made me sick.

Time goes on, and I start to lose my digestive strength for other things (I know, it seems like I mostly eat junk - but these are once in a while occurances). So I was sitting down and feeling munchie. I grabbed a bag of chips and a coke, and munched away. Until it sent me running to be sick in the bathroom. I wasn't able to handle much after that, so I ate half a grapefruit, a baked potato with sourkrout, garlic cilantro pesto, daiya, onion and earth balance. And everything was fine. A snack later was veg and eggplant olive hummus. All the next day I was fine, and then hubby decided to be sweet and take over making dinner. He made a stir-fry over rice noodles. But he used a lot of sesame and peanut oil in the cooking process, plus some sweet and sour sauce and soy sauce. The oil was too much for me.

Coffee - I enjoy it on occasion (once every two months or so). But it leaves me feeling so dirty, like it is seeping from my pores. I always feel like having a shower and brushing my teeth a few times after a coffee, and still I feel dirty on the inside. So I was talking to my Mom about this on the phone the other day, and she said "It's funny that you have such a weak stomach, nobody else [in the family] does." I hadn't really thought about it that way, but yes I do have problems digesting fats. It caused me to be in emerge with gall bladder attacks during my second pregnancy and unable to hold even water down for a few days.

I'm not up for a completely raw diet, although it often seems like that is what my body wants. It's getting increasingly difficult to make dinner for four when we all have different preferences, mine being the more fresh foods the better. I could live off wraps, soup, vegetable filled sandwiches, salad, veggie burgers, baked potatoes and fresh fruit. But my family isn't satisfied with eating fresh foods everyday as the main options. They like their pasta, rice, grilled daiya cheese and tofurky slice sandwiches, deep fried potatoes (bleh), chips, etc. They eat the wraps and stuff too, they just don't like them as often as I would.

Either way, it seems like my digestive system is getting more and more difficult to accomodate. Any thoughts?

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you been to your doctor about this? Things like ulcers or gall bladder problems could be developing independent of your diet that could explain digestive problems from fatty foods.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Since you already had a gall bladder issue, I would check to see that again. People who have a problem with their gall bladder or gallstones, they are advised to avoid fat. Because it seems like excess fat, not "bad" foods (your husband's stir-fry wasn't unhealthy but did have more fat), is the culprit here.

As for having to make a bunch of different foods, tell them that if they don't like what you make they can just make something else. You are not a personal chef.

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Beginner

Yep, the gallbladder doesn't like extra fat.

Meanwhile you are not a "short-order" cook! You make the meals, family eats them. My children grew up this way and once they realized this wasn't going to change, they quickly learned to eat with the family. I made their favorites occasionally and did try to cook what everyone liked.

Definitely go see a physician!!
#5 Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned

Try these tips for your better digestive health:

Eat a high-fiber diet. According to Maria Adams, MS, MPH, RD, a registered dietitian in Marblehead, Mass., consuming a diet that is high in fiber and rich in whole grains, vegetables, legumes, and fruits can improve your digestive health. "A high-fiber diet helps to keep food moving through your digestive tract, making you less likely to get constipated," Adams says, adding that a high-fiber diet can also help you prevent or treat various digestive conditions, such as diverticulosis, hemorrhoids, and irritable bowel syndrome. In addition, it can help you achieve or maintain a healthy weight.

Get insoluble and soluble fiber. It is important to consume both types of fiber, which each help your digestive system in different ways. "Insoluble fiber, also known as roughage, can't be digested by the body and therefore helps add bulk to the stools," says Adams. "Soluble fiber draws in water and can help prevent stools that are too watery." Good sources of insoluble fiber include wheat bran, vegetables, and whole grains; get soluble fiber from oat bran, nuts, seeds, and legumes.

Limit foods that are high in fat. "In general, fatty foods tend to slow down the digestive process, making you more prone to constipation," says Adams. But since it is important to get some fat in your diet, Adams says that pairing fatty foods with high-fiber foods can make them easier on your digestive system.

Choose lean meats. Protein is an essential part of a healthful diet, but fatty cuts of meat can lead to uncomfortable digestion. When you eat meat, select lean cuts, such as pork loin and skinless poultry.
#6 Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryler07 View Post

Choose lean meats. Protein is an essential part of a healthful diet, but fatty cuts of meat can lead to uncomfortable digestion. When you eat meat, select lean cuts, such as pork loin and skinless poultry.

Have you noticed you're posting on a vegetarian forum and replying to a vegan?

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page