flu or food poisoning? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Anybody know how you could tell the difference? I woke up yesterday morning feeling nauseous and then I spent much of the day hugging the Let's just say it was coming out both ends.....

But, I have no fever/body aches. Basically it's just my digestive system. What do I have? When should I start worrying? I am staying hydrated as best I can....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read that most times when we think we have stomach bug, it's food poisoning.

The flu can cause an upset stomach, but it also comes with high fever & chills.

I hope you feel better soon. I know how miserable you must feel.
#3 Old 02-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup, there's really no such things as "stomach flu"; it's sort of a non-specific label for what usually is in fact food poisoning.

Most food poisoning is minor and shouldn't last much longer, but if it continues to get worse I'd definitely see a doctor, just to be safe; some food poisoning can be dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-05-2004, 06:45 PM

You can get intestinal viruses, however.

For example, Mike threw up...then a day later, Jake was...then last night, I was...now my bf is in bed sick. None of us have eaten anything the same.

AW, if it means anything, last night around 4am, I was sitting on the toilet while leaning into the bathtub. Hang in there. And, if you live with someone, make them look after you. There is nothing worst then being all alone and puking all over your bed...then sofa...then carpet...then bathroom sink.

/sigh
#5 Old 02-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your replies.

Haha, Krista. Yeah, I don't live alone but I might as well. *grrrr* My roommates cannot have missed the hurling sounds coming from the bathroom...but, alas I get to care for myself. At around 2am last night I was pretty convinced I was dying. But, I somehow made it to today and dragged myself to the store to get some ginger ale (plain water was making me puke more, I swear).

I feel better now though. Cross your fingers...
#6 Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I had the same experience last night. My roommate threw open my bedroom door and shouted "what's wrong with you?" Let's see, I've been heaving loudly for ~8 hours at this point. What do you think is wrong with me???
#7 Old 02-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems I'm always learning about a new condition which mimics the flu! Just today, I heard those exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning, display flu-like symptoms. I'd just be aware of your symptoms and go to the doctor or emergency room if it continues for more than a couple days. Better safe than sorry.
#8 Old 02-06-2004, 03:47 PM

AW, feeling any better today? I went into work, but I'm leaving early. I feel like I've done 1000 crunches. And my belly is still queezy.

Remember the BRAT diet when recovering from vomitting - bananas, rice, apples, toast
#9 Old 02-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Krista-

I'm feeling much better, thanks. No more vomiting or stomach pains. I went back to work and school today. Managed to get thru my entire yoga/dance class....only felt weak a couple of times. Cheers to being young and resilient!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page