The Depression Thread. - Page 10 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#271 Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

@i love giraffes. Hey, I know LOADS of ppl our age (I'm 26) that have degrees and are unemployed and living with their parents. Right now, it seems like it is the normal thing. Don't beat yourself up. If I were you, I would volunteer for a cause that you believe in and that will get you some good references and experience. That way, while you are still applying for jobs, you won't be idle and you'll be gaining things to add to your resume!

Best of luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

But 'being discontent with life' is the struggle?
When you're depressed there's not point to anything, so life doesn't have anything more to offer you and then everything becomes an effort, because there simply isn't any point to it!

That wouldn't be a struggle as much as it would be a monotonous existence.

Even if there is no point to life, it doesn't mean that it becomes an effort.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#273 Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

That wouldn't be a struggle as much as it would be a monotonous existence.

Even if there is no point to life, it doesn't mean that it becomes an effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

When you're depressed there's not point to anything, so life doesn't have anything more to offer you and then everything becomes an effort, because there simply isn't any point to it!

Have you ever suffered from depression, Envy? It's extraordinarily painful at times and, at least for me, there are days/weeks/months when the only thing you can think about is putting yourself out of your misery. Suicide can seem like the simplest/only fix for your problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#274 Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

@i love giraffes. Hey, I know LOADS of ppl our age (I'm 26) that have degrees and are unemployed and living with their parents. Right now, it seems like it is the normal thing. Don't beat yourself up. If I were you, I would volunteer for a cause that you believe in and that will get you some good references and experience. That way, while you are still applying for jobs, you won't be idle and you'll be gaining things to add to your resume!

Best of luck!

Hey mary, you're the crazy cat lady from that "can u date non veg*ns" thread right? Crazy dog lady here. I know...there are so many of us out there but that doesnt seem to make it easier. I cant move back to my home country for a few reasons.

1. I DO NOT get along with my dad. Whenever i go back for the holidays i kinda feel like moving back would be lovely. I love my mum to bits and my grandparents too. But about a week later, all i want to do is escape back to australia. My dad is too controlling. And since im still financially depending on them, he treats me like poo.

2. My qualifications are not recognised back home. I have to complete 1 yr in grad sch for it to be recognised but that just means more $$$ and right now, thats not an option.

3. They are trying really hard to fix me up with random guys they meet so i can get married. Honestly, i dont know how id deal with it if i live in the same house as them.

Unemployment sucks. I have tried volunteering in Places that will give me work experience but they also have countless interviews and long waiting lists. I also need to be employed in a job in my field within the next few months ( visa requirement) or i might have leave this beautiful country and head back home. I can see how so many jobless pple are constantly depressed. People with jobs never get how hopeless jobless people feel.

Giraffes are awesome.
#275 Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

[email protected] crazy dog lady
I have been in that place where the pressure is on to find a job ASAP. Before I got the one I have now, I was two weeks away from having to move back in with my parents. I do remember that feeling of hopelessness. My parents are good ppl but they drive me insane if I'm with them too long. Stress cases, the both of them!

I experienced a similar feeling again recently as I had decided to leave my current job (so many issues with it so I had to leave)...but couldn't find anything else!!! Finally, I decided to take a huge pay cut and take a job that made less money, but would have room to grow to more in the future, be less stressful, and will let me follow my ethics. I'll be starting the next job soon and I cant wait! I guess what I am trying to say is, when your options are limited, try not to add additional limits on yourself. Take risks. The worse that can happen is you move in with your parents temporarily.

As for your relationship with your dad, you can't change him, but you can try to change your own reaction. Remember that when he doesn't treat you nicely, it is HIS problem. Remember to treat yourself nicely. :-)

Another temp option might be to teach english in another country? Some of my friends who couldn't find jobs at home went overseas to teach (Korea, HongKong, and Japan). They are making decent money now and get to explore another culture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#276 Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Korea, hongkong and japan are all around where i'm from. Haha i'm from singapore but am not chinese, i'm actually of indian descent. Teaching english sounds like such a cool idea!!! thanks Mary! i'm going to research and see what i come up with!

All the best for your new job.

Hugs from australia!

Giraffes are awesome.
#277 Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

you're welcome

#278 Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 AM

Just a nutritional thought regarding depression and being vegetarian - most veg*ns believe they can get enough of their essential fatty acids by using flax seed or flax oil. But there's some interesting new research out there that says it's difficult for humans to convert the ALA that's in flax into DHA which is crucial for proper brain function. Deficiency of DHA can ruin your sleep, your mood, cause anxiety, phobias, etc. Luckily you don't have to eat fish to get it. You can also get it from marine algae. Just wanted to let you know there are a few vegan DHA supplements out there made from this algae that could help. Best of luck!
#279 Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

Have you ever suffered from depression, Envy? It's extraordinarily painful at times and, at least for me, there are days/weeks/months when the only thing you can think about is putting yourself out of your misery. Suicide can seem like the simplest/only fix for your problems.

Late answer, but no. I've never suffered from a real depression, but it's rather my state of mind.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#280 Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm probably repeating myself but I have found taking B12 tablets daily very helpful in fighting my depression.
#281 Old 01-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Psychiatrist has taken me off all anti-depressants and since I've tried so many that haven't worked for me, she said it may be a good idea not to try any more (I'm bipolar and they tend to push me into an agitated and enraged state). Still taking the mood stabilizer and added abilify back into the mix. I'm beginning to feel better. Holiday stress and family drama being over has helped as well. I'm supposed to increase my abilify dose from 2mg to 5mg soon. Hope it goes well.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#282 Old 01-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Ankle Biter

I hope it goes well, too, Rhys.

And Pixie - interesting about the B12...

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#283 Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

It's so good to know that you've been feeling better Rhys!! I hope it continues for you and being off the anti depressants along with increasing the Abilify works out.
#284 Old 01-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Psychiatrist has taken me off all anti-depressants and since I've tried so many that haven't worked for me, she said it may be a good idea not to try any more (I'm bipolar and they tend to push me into an agitated and enraged state).

Good luck Rhys.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

And Pixie - interesting about the B12...

It really is worth a try, I have been taking a sublingual B12 daily and I have noticed I don't feel as depressed as I normally would in the winter.
#285 Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been diagnosed with depression. I've seen multiple counsellors who all told me I seem to have depression. For some reason I have not recieved an official diagnosis. I"m starting to wonder if I should go see a certified psychologist.

Anyway, I seem to fit best with atypical depression. My moods can change from extreme sadness to feeling ecstatic. It's exhausting. I've been told by several ex-boyfriends that my moods swing back and forth in a way that's unnerving.

I have been this way since age 14. I am now almost 28. So yeah half my life I've been hoping this will go away and it isn't.

There WAS a period where I wasn't depressed or happy. I put myself into a state of emotional numbness which my counsellor told me was a defense mechanism, my way of protecting myself from pain. It wasn't a good place to be. I would almost rather be miserable.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#286 Old 03-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Beginner

I have begun to slip back into depressive thoughts and have lost all motivation. I worked really hard to get back to uni and now that I'm doing my degree again I'm struggling to care about anything. I feel really isolated and I don't know what to do. I hope I don't screw things up for myself again, I don't think my Mum could take it.
#287 Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you signed up for a local GP at uni Veggiholic? I would go and speak to the doctor now rather than wait until you feel worse.x
#288 Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Beginner

I've emailed the student support worker who I talk to when I'm struggling but I won't get a reply until tomorrow, but I'm not sure how much good it will do. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to a counsellor, but if that takes more than a week to sort out it won't really help soon enough. I've got an essay due in three weeks and I can't even pick which question to do.
#289 Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Sorry i have been around for while ...a few things have happened My mum had cervical cancer and got treatment for it , she then got a scan done and the results are that she is cancer free but she has to have check ups every 3 months.
My depression has been okish mostly there are times when i feel suicidal and low
At the moment i feel fine
But other things happened as well as my depression my mental health got bad i hear voices and see things and i was really paranoid about spies posioning the water and my food i got help from my husband , dr and psych and am feeling a lot better now
hope you are all doing well

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi,
#290 Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Hi there,

I saw this thread and I thought I would join in. I have depression and ADHD, a weird combination but still there. I take vegan DHA, B12, and a few antidepressants and it seems to help.

I guess some of my depression is related to circumstances, I had a bit of a traumatic childhood and it was never fully dealt with until I was quite a bit older, in my late teens and early twenties. I feel like I am in a better place than I was back then but I would love a little extra support and would be happy to give it as well.
#291 Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I just see no point in living anymore. I don't feel like I deserve to live.. I don't have a job, and I failed college. I don't know what I want in my life, I fear I'm just going to end up a complete failure. I feel so useless and even guilty I exist.. :/

All we are is dust in the wind
#292 Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I had some magic words to help everyone in this thread...please don't give up...try and find someone in your life that you can talk to who may be able to help.
#293 Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

I just see no point in living anymore. I don't feel like I deserve to live.. I don't have a job, and I failed college. I don't know what I want in my life, I fear I'm just going to end up a complete failure. I feel so useless and even guilty I exist.. :/

You have only just started and maybe you are like those flowers that take a long, long time to bloom and it's just not your time yet. Somewhere in the loveliness that is you, is a story of joy that just hasn't been told yet. Please don't give up, and please be patient because your time will come. When you are feeling blue, just come here and look for cheery posts to get involved in or tell someone you trust how you feel.....just don't bottle it up. I know though that that is pretty hard to do sometimes isn't it? Baring your soul so to speak,..........but I guess you gotta try. And that goes for all of us I suppose.
#294 Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

This is exactly how Ive been feeling for a while.
Dont give up...
#295 Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously thinking and just starting to look for a psychologist. My mood swings have been growing worse due to stress. I fear ending up in bed all day all the time, drinking too much, having extreme anxiety attacks, crazy manic moments and general fear of people. I hate to do this, I always feel they are judging me. I know its stupid. I just have so much I am starting to have trouble dealing with. I hope I do not chicken out. I feel if I keep back with my tendencies I will ruin what I have going for me in every way.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#296 Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Seriously thinking and just starting to look for a psychologist. My mood swings have been growing worse due to stress. I fear ending up in bed all day all the time, drinking too much, having extreme anxiety attacks, crazy manic moments and general fear of people. I hate to do this, I always feel they are judging me. I know its stupid. I just have so much I am starting to have trouble dealing with. I hope I do not chicken out. I feel if I keep back with my tendencies I will ruin what I have going for me in every way.

I hope you follow through and find a psychologist you can relate to and who will help you through this.
#297 Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll come in here and say hi. I've been reading this thread for a while but haven't really wanted to say anything. I've been depressed since my first suicide attempt when I was 11. So 12 years. Wow. I'm now diagnosed with major depression with psychotic features. And according to my psychiatrist, I show signs of later on developing schizophrenia.

It's in my family a lot though - my sister is a drug addict, my mother has admitted to having had an addiction to Valium in the past. My dad has had major depression. My aunt had major depression with psychotic features (well, that's what we think, but back in the 70s it wasn't diagnosed as such) and had shock treatments. So I guess it's in the family.

I never asked for help through high school, which was a huge mistake.
#298 Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Bah, my blatant incel is causing some some fits of depression once in a while, but it isn't too bad.

#299 Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm lazy and useless and feel like i can't help it, moms losing the house, i'm pregnant without a job, and bf will have to take on all the financial burden for me him and the baby, i have no job experience and people wouldn't hire a pregnant woman anyway, not to mention i get sick so much that i'd miss too much work and lose the job, but even without that i don't want to get a job, i know there's plenty of people that don't, i'm not anything special, but idk i have anxiety and crap that makes it hard for me to do many things, i don't have fun really because of it. When i have the baby i want to be there for it, not working, a kid needs more than financial support they need emotional too. Anyway my bf and family thinks i'm useless too all i do is sit here on the computer all day, i don't understand what peoples attachment to me is, if i do nothing for society why does it matter if i'm here anymore? Why be sad? If i could choose what would happen i would give birth and give the baby up to a better family, and then die.

I blame myself and i think i should but my parents raised me this way, when i turned 11 they stopped being parents, i learned everything about life myself, i ate frozen dinners, did my homework alone, dealt with my emotions alone and in a bad way, i was never taught how to grow up or be productive, i was never given a way to help me get self esteem, but my sister grew up and has had different jobs, she wastes her money but hey she has money to waste she earned herself, i think because she grew up to be pretty normal my parents expect the same from me, and now that things are getting worse and money troubles my mom expects me to go out and get a job pay bills become totally self sufficient, but i just don't know how, sometimes i feel like i had a money machine growing up but no real parents.
#300 Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Alix, this makes me so sad to read this. . I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page