Mental Health in a Non-Vegan World - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM

The other day I found myself reading some really derogatory things in a bathroom on campus at university. It seems that my university had an animal rights group sometime in the past, but it no longer exists. This group had painted a mural, and left other tokens of their existence, such as the stickers in the bathroom.
These stickers, which I'm sure aren't unheard of, because they were made by PETA. One of the stickers simply said "cows are cool" or something similar, but the amount of derogatory responses written in marker around it got my attention.
Responses of people saying that the sticker is a form of terrorism, or that its a great injustice for some reason to not eat cows. It just really brings me down to realize that the general public becomes so personally offended over this.
My friends and family are no different.
This kind of thing has been really sapping at my mental health these past few weeks. I just feel so alone, and I'm sure people in the forum aren't strangers to this feeling.
Its probably silly of me to say this, but I'm sure that if one of my friends or family members would have made a decision for moral reasons that I would have listened and given them the chance to explain. Why is it that everyone I know doesn't like vegetarians?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 AM

hi rkscharf, welcome to vb

Quote:
Why is it that everyone I know doesn't like vegetarians? \t\t\t\t\t\t

theres no end to the dumb stuff that meat eaters can come out with in response to hearing about your vegetarianism. and its all a defense mechanism stemming from them feeling guilty, cuz deep down most of them know that killing/eating animals in the way that we do is not right. when you start to feel depressed or isolated over this, its a good idea to join a vegetarian social group so that you can connect with other people who are experiencing the same issues as you
#3 Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Impeach the gangster

It isn't just vegetarians (and vegans) that meateaters don't like; they don't seem to like anybody, including themselves. It is perhaps themselves they dislike the most. That they redirect their hatred to others is a symptom of their weakness. The mental problem is theirs, not yours. Doing the right thing takes courage, patience, morality, effort, and a willingness to learn. Remember: when you do the right thing, you are NEVER alone. You have many friends, including the human race and the animal kingdom. I salute you, for what you are doing!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscharf View Post

The other day I found myself reading some really derogatory things in a bathroom on campus at university.

OK, first, maybe you shouldn't judge people and base your self esteem on things you saw written on a college bathroom wall. I've been in higher education for 30 years and the comments haven't gotten any nicer since back when I was a student. That's just the way it is. It is always derogatory, insulting and vulgar. Try not to take it seriously.

Your bigger question seems to be "why do they hate us?" I don't have a good answer for that. I tend to believe that veg*ns may be an uncomfortable reminder of thoughts they may have had about the ethics of eating animal products. They don't want to confront those thoughts, so they attack the vegetarian instead. Hence the obsessive need to prove that there is something wrong with us, or else just ridiculing so they can feel superior. I've had some of my nicest and closest friends do it. It's really amazing sometimes. But it can be lonely and depressing too. I like to hang out here, it's comforting to talk to like-minded people. You're not alone.
#5 Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

OK, first, maybe you shouldn't judge people and base your self esteem on things you saw written on a college bathroom wall. I've been in higher education for 30 years and the comments haven't gotten any nicer since back when I was a student. That's just the way it is. It is always derogatory, insulting and vulgar. Try not to take it seriously.

Your bigger question seems to be "why do they hate us?"...

Bingo. If you want to see the filthy underbelly of humanity, by all means read bathroom walls. You'll find plenty of racist, homphobic, and misogynist comments as well. But I honestly don't think most people are like that. As for pasting pro-animal stickers in a bathroom... WHAT were they thinking? That's not the audience I would be aiming for. Maybe some anti-animal jerks put them there to provoke something.

About hating vegetarians... I've found that most people just don't give animal issues much thought, one way or the other. This isn't quite so malignant as outright cruelty, but it is a problem. I'm always trying to figure out ways to reach people, but unfortunately, most people find meat, etc. tasty.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#6 Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Bingo. If you want to see the filthy underbelly of humanity, by all means read bathroom walls. You'll find plenty of racist, homphobic, and misogynist comments as well.

Yeh, bathrooms walls are like the internet message boards of yesteryear.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Bingo. If you want to see the filthy underbelly of humanity, by all means read bathroom walls. You'll find plenty of racist, homphobic, and misogynist comments as well.

I agree.
#8 Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with people that said we are a harsh reminder to them that they ARE cruel but to lazy to change.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#9 Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

It really sucks to read such mean things, and it can be pretty depressing. But I'm sure there are a lot of other things written in the bathroom about other groups of people too, like others have said.

All you can do is keep being the compassionate person that you are and hope that somebody else follows suit. Most of the time it's just that people are misinformed or generally don't understand (and often don't want to). But when somebody is willing to take a few extra minutes out of their day to really think about an issue that they previously didn't understand the results are usually pretty good.

It's easy to feel alone when there are so few veggies, maybe you can look around online and find out if other veg people live near you? It's great that we have veggieboards to come to for things like that though. I don't know where you're from but I started an Ontario Veg group on facebook for this very reason. Sometimes it's nice to have the support of people close to home, and it can be really tough to find veg stuff when you are one person in a big community.

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
#10 Old 10-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

The comments are likely to have been made by people who feel threatened, or guilty. The term "terrorist", just like "extremist" seem to be thrown about namby pamby if people have an agenda for it... Not everyone in the world will agree that even Al Quaeda or IRA are terrorists.

Obv, an animal rights group aren't Al Quaeda!

All of those comments could have been written by one person and may not represent the opinion of most students. Why don't you look to join a veg*n group outside of college, then maybe you'll meet like minded people.
#11 Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 AM

I think the reaction you get with the public also depends on the community. I would of thought that a college campus would be more open to different lifestyles and people. I think you run into haters when you travel to the farmlands and small towns of America where there are more conservatives and people who are not comfortable with change. I think the closer you are to a large city or college community, the less antis you'll meet. -Bella Vega, Golden Rule

Bella Vega, Golden Rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page