when doctors have no answers :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

hello

recently ive had more health queries than normal, and headed to the gp to check them out rather than thread about them and be told to do so and the gp had no suggestions. so now im back and asking you guys.
i felt better than i had in years, a while ago, but suddenly just feel soooooo...crap.
i make a concerted effort to eat plenty of coloured veg and i probably get more than my share of good fats (and quite a fair bit of bad..) , my iron levels are fine, i exercise a bit but not too much, I'm happy and unstressed barring these recent niggling issues.
what's the deal ?!

it fluctuates a bit but in general I suddenly have NO energy. I was someone who barely used to sleep and now I sleep for about 9 hours a night and struggle through the day. I struggle to shower, half the bloody time!

I always had slightly unpredictable periods but now I haven't had a period in 3 months.

I have daily head and chest aches that hit soon after I wake up.

HOW DO I STOP IT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a bit of a silly post, I know. But I miss feeling great and my productivity is really waning, here. Sigh. I could cry But that's a bit tiring...

Rahhh.
#3 Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

This is not a silly post at all!
Almost a year ago I started losing weight, had no energy, my skin got bad, I started losing hair...my hair used to be SO thick and you should see it now
I went to the doctor and they had no real answers for me. They checked my thyroid and iron levels (only because that is what I suggested ) and just told me that sometimes hair loss is unexplained.
Very frustrating!

I hope someone on here can offer some suggestions for you! How long have you been veg*n?
What all did your gp do? Blood work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

KatherineLynn, thankyou so much for replying. I know i sound strange and whiney but this is really getting me down. Particularly the no periods part because I really want kids, plus periods make me feel..like a girl. I hate them, but i love them, y'know ?

Sorry to hear about your own dodgy health stuff : ( and sorry to hear the doctors couldn't help ! Did it just resolve itself?

I've been veg*n for almost 8 years (im 26) and am one of those people who 'does it properly', re: iron etc.

The doctor did bloods and listened to my heart etc, and said there seemed to be no reason for it. That i was underweight but seemed quite healthy. Sigh.

I can't believe this is bumming me out so much, but it's getting worse. It was this tiny thing that bugged me some days, and now I just feel awful most of the time. It's only 4:30 and my productivity is dead, I just want to sleep.

AND. I'm not depressed. I've been depressed in the past. People keep telling me that must be it but I know depression and ..it's not. I feel great other than physically And other than today's sudden "what the EFF, nature? why is this happening?" bout of frustration..

really REALLY appreciate your response thankyou so much
#5 Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually nothing really changed in my health I have been taking prenatal vitamins so my hair is a little healthier and my nails are stronger. I just don't know what to tell the doctors...I don't have anything really specific to complain about, just a bunch of random weird things. I know part of it is that I need to eat better (more) and exercise, and that will help my energy levels too.

Silly question but is it possible that you're pregnant?
#6 Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm. How mysterious! Glad to hear the vitamins are helping! Maybe I'll start taking some? I always figured my diet was so balanced that I didn't need to. I don't know. Sigh.
Eating better (more) and exercise sounds like a great plan of attack for you!

I thought about the pregnancy too , so no, not a silly question am in a very stable long term relationship but given that protection is ALWAYS used and my partner is in his first year of med internship and not around that much .. it seemed unlikely. I tested once with a home kit though, and it was negative.
#7 Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think it might be because you are underweight? Your body has to work very hard if you are not consuming enough calories in a day so that might explain your tiredness.

(My cousin is extremely underweight and didn't have a period for years but she still got pregnant as well so it can happen.)
#8 Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie25 View Post

hello

recently ive had more health queries than normal, and headed to the gp to check them out rather than thread about them and be told to do so and the gp had no suggestions. so now im back and asking you guys.
i felt better than i had in years, a while ago, but suddenly just feel soooooo...crap.

I always had slightly unpredictable periods but now I haven't had a period in 3 months.

I have daily head and chest aches that hit soon after I wake up.

HOW DO I STOP IT?

Did your Dr. check your thyroid and hormones? Hormone testing is most effective from a saliva test, try to get one of these if you can. Since you have missed your period for so long, getting hormones tested is valid (and the first thing I would check out).
Can you give a run down of what an average day of meals are for you? maybe you are missing out on something...
#9 Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

Hmm. How mysterious! Glad to hear the vitamins are helping! Maybe I'll start taking some? I always figured my diet was so balanced that I didn't need to. I don't know. Sigh.

You should probably be taking B12 supplements, especially if you're vegan, or a vegetarian who doesn't eat much dairy. If you've been low on B12 for a while, you need to take more. See e.g. http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/ , symptoms: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/sympt No idea if that is the problem you're experiencing at the moment though, but some of the symptoms sound like it. Hope you manage to figure it out!

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#10 Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Eating better (more) and exercise sounds like a great plan of attack for you!

I thought about the pregnancy too , so no, not a silly question am in a very stable long term relationship but given that protection is ALWAYS used and my partner is in his first year of med internship and not around that much .. it seemed unlikely. I tested once with a home kit though, and it was negative.

This isn't common, but since you're low on ideas...it's possible that you could still be pregnant. I went to basic training with a girl whose hormones ran a little low, so even the blood tests didn't detect that she was pregnant. She knew she was because she had children already, but nobody believed her. She finally insisted on an ultrasound and yep, she'd conceived before she even left for training.
It could also be something else that's messing with your hormones, like an ovarian cyst.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#11 Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked?
#12 Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM

when you say the doc did bloods do you know which tests exactly ?? do you see your results for yourself so that you know they took your b12 etc ?
#13 Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

In addition or until you get the tests suggested above, try out realage.com and see if there are any recommendations off hand.

I've had a couple of times in my life when my energy went really low, one I'll rule out due to your age, but the other one was after my studies, I was not exercising much and shockingly, despite my youth, I had pain doing ordinary things like reaching up in the cupboard. It was freakish. It sounded like a condition many people have who are depressed (but I forget the name). Once I moved back downtown where I walked each day and exercised all the pain left, I felt great and full of energy. The move also led me to host dinners so half the week I was heavy into socializing. Friends are pain-killers for me.

Chances are it's something you can change, so until you get those tests try some different things like the test. I found it shows what may be missing to make your health better.

Hoping things improve
#14 Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Thankyou SO much for the replies.

I don't know how to see both pages at once :/ so will have to reply in two parts :P ehehe.

Breezydreams, yes, I suspect it's something I can change, and your story is a very interesting one! I'm very social at the moment but I'll make sure it stays that way because you raise a really good point ; friends have always been pain-killers for me too.

Rapt, I don't exactly remember now but there was white blood cell count, iron, b12, thyroid (lots of thyroid trouble in our family , hyperthyroid in almost every member! ), hormones. I think that was it? Doctors generally seem to get an idea in their head, test for it, and if it's not that, give up. This doctor was sure it was thyroid, then it wasn't and that was that :I I do understand though, it would be annoying to have a patient come saying what I've said. How vague. Sigh

Danaskully, I don't think I have, no? But isn't that what you get from sunlight and various vegetables? I would've thought that would be ok?! I'll look into it though , thanks!
#15 Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

We have a few threads about Vit D deficiency. It's pretty common in all groups of people (omnis and veggies alike). You can have a lot of bad side effects from it. I'm trying to get a little time in the sun now

http://longevity.about.com/od/resear.../vitamin_d.htm
#16 Old 09-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Pixie, congrats to your cousin! And yes, I know that not getting enough calories is extremely detrimental, which is why i make sure I always get enough (to the point of counting sometimes, and never going under my 'recommended amount') . Can being underweight but eating enough, cause these things though? As in...is eating enough not enough, do I need to put on weight and THEN maintain it, rather than maintain this? I'll do anything to fix this!

luvyourmother, thyroid has been tested , it was the first suggestion due to autoimmune family history ( grandparents with celiac, all members on both side with thyroid, fair few with type 2 diabetes). Hormones also tested but they were ok. Rundown on food is tricky since I don't eat the same thing every day. But there's a bit of a pattern on workdays.

bfast- millet flakes with cinnamon, chia seeds, and fullcream organic yogurt,

snack- apple/banana/some other random fruit

lunch- usually cheese and salad sandwich on brown rice bread, or quinoa with pumpkin and broccoli orrrr my recent addition to diet, these amazing blackbean noodles, 20g of protein per serve! plus pumpkin and broccoli (best veggies to reheat it seems)
Organic whole milk latte (i work next to a great fairtrade place!)

snack- generally chocolate and some nuts, dried fruit etc.

dinner- brownrice pasta with peas,tomato,mushrooms,cheese, orrrrr pizza (usually involves eggs, high DHA eggs what's more!) , orrrrr potatoes and lentils etc. It varies.

snack- whatever is lying around. generally some kind of wholefood. I find other 'dessert' type stuff apart from chocolate a bit too sweet. ew.

Does that help ?

Indiansummer, thankyou for the b12 suggestion! My b12 was tested and I do eat dairy, but it's good to know!

Myria, yikes! That's actually a scary thought! I'll definitely look into it, I didn't know that could happen :O :O thanks!!
#17 Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles! It's so frustrating to feel so bad when it seems like you are healthy and doing everything you should be doing to maintain your health! I really don't have much advice to offer but I do know that being even slightly underweight can make your periods stop. I am slightly underweight too but I do get my periods. But when I was younger, probably in my early twenties, my periods would only show up every few months or so. Now I'm on the pill and I get it every month no matter what. Not that I am saying the pill will help. It seems like you are eating very well so I don't know why that would be a problem with you though... Have you ever tried to use an online food tracker? Since you don't take a vitamin that may tell you what (if any) nutrients your diet is low in. I know some people that swear that taking a multi-vitamin makes them feel a lot more energetic but it doesn't seem to make a difference for me either way.

So really I have offered you nothing but I kinda tried! lol

Sarah
#18 Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

just following up on this..

still no period (and I'm not ovvvvvvvvverly thin) but everything else has resolved with overeating :/

boundless energy and better sleep and no headaches, for now! Woohoo!
#19 Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks phi, interesting info!

in other news, i seem to be losing weight despite eating more?
#20 Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

thanks phi, interesting info!

in other news, i seem to be losing weight despite eating more?

start to keep a diary of how much you're eating, what, and when, and of the exercise you do- your daily pattern- sleep times how well you sleep, when your head hurts each day, etc. put it into fitday if it helps- you might even see a pattern.

then you can go back to the doctor (or to another one) with a bit more ammo. being underweight could account for a lot of it- as could be physical stress if you're doing too much (i know you said its not depression, but depression can be masked as tension, fatigue, weightloss,lack of appetite, etc), but it could be all sorts of other things as well, and you need to get to the bottom of it. you can't keep losing weight forever, and it's pretty doubtful your periods will come back until your weight is back where it should be- even then it might take a while.
#21 Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

really reallllly useful. and wise . thanks so much. doing exactly that and have taken every word on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneticallymodified View Post

start to keep a diary of how much you're eating, what, and when, and of the exercise you do- your daily pattern- sleep times how well you sleep, when your head hurts each day, etc. put it into fitday if it helps- you might even see a pattern.

then you can go back to the doctor (or to another one) with a bit more ammo. being underweight could account for a lot of it- as could be physical stress if you're doing too much (i know you said its not depression, but depression can be masked as tension, fatigue, weightloss,lack of appetite, etc), but it could be all sorts of other things as well, and you need to get to the bottom of it. you can't keep losing weight forever, and it's pretty doubtful your periods will come back until your weight is back where it should be- even then it might take a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page