Is this hunger? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm the queen of silly questions today, but since my last one was answered so superbly, thought I'd throw out another.

I've felt hungry before, we all have, no? I know the mashing empty stomach feeling , the shakes and the abdo feelings that go with it and I know a vague nausea's usually present when it gets to extremes too. The thing is, for the last few days I've had stomach pain and nausea every few hours (minus the shakes or low blood sugar feeling that usually tips me off, because admittedly I'm not great at hunger signals allll the time, hence the question) and it doesn't feel like hunger at ALL , but have discovered that when I eat something it goes away for an hour or two.

I'm admittedly making a dietary shift, away from gluten, but since my parents avoid it etc I've only eaten it in small amounts out while out of home, out of habit, so I doubt it's some kind of withdraw. I haven't added anything else to my diet (in fact, I've taken away daily soy latte/soy milk, coz that made me feel strange despite loving the stuff). Someone said it could be butterflies and eating gave my stomach 'something else to do' , hence temporary relief. I don't know.

Since I can't eat all day (not concerned about weight, I'm barely 'healthy' but very healthy in iron levels etc. however my job means I get lunch and that's it , like the rest of the working world) the way I used to as a student, I need to do something about this.

If it's hunger, I guess I'll eat bigger meals. I just don't see how it'd feel different to the last 25 years of hunger, is all. Or.. meh. I don't know. Any help appreciated.
Anybody ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

additional info (really hope someone can help) , thinking maybe it's not a case of eating makes it feel better but rather time does. it's often worse in the morning. Could that be.. I don't know.. acid reflux?
#3 Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Banned

There's no one on this board that is qualified to make a medical diagnosis. From your symptoms I would recommend you go see a professionally trained physician.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

No, of course, I know, I'm sorry. I just figured if other people identified similar thongs as hunger or something in themselves, I'd eat more or do whatever worked for them
& avoid going to doctor / solve the problem while waiting for an appointment. Doc appointments take forever & ideally if it's something simple & dietary I could improve it by tomorrow! Was just curious if others knew the feeling/whether I it's something totally normal. Sorry again
#5 Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

No need to feel sorry. Whether or not someone is qualified to make a medical diagnosis, anyone can sure offer their opinions, remedies that worked for them, or something they read about. In all honestly though, I really can't think of what your problem might be. Seeing as it's pain, not just a temporary uncomfortable bloating or something, it probably would be best to get it checked out at the clinic. As inconvient as it is, it's worth the time and effort now than the time, effort, money, and suffering you could pay later if it is a serious problem. Hope things get better for you!
#6 Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie25 View Post

additional info (really hope someone can help) , thinking maybe it's not a case of eating makes it feel better but rather time does. it's often worse in the morning. Could that be.. I don't know.. acid reflux?

or pregnancy? Go to your doctors and get checked out!
#7 Old 08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Skydog, yup, thanks have made an app but it's not til next week.
Angie, I hope not! It's been going on since before last period though, so seems unlikely.

This morning I tried eating breakfast THEN coffee (normally do it the other way around because I crave coffee before it's breakfast time..) so going to see if it's something related to empty stomach coffee etc.
Ideally I'd also go on lunch an hour earlier (it's like an 8 hour gap between breakfast and lunch) but sadly won't be allowed to so am prepared for the pain to set in again. Bother.

Anyway, thanks very much and I'll be sure to mention all this to the GP
#8 Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Skydog, yup, thanks have made an app but it's not til next week.
Angie, I hope not! It's been going on since before last period though, so seems unlikely.

This morning I tried eating breakfast THEN coffee (normally do it the other way around because I crave coffee before it's breakfast time..) so going to see if it's something related to empty stomach coffee etc.
Ideally I'd also go on lunch an hour earlier (it's like an 8 hour gap between breakfast and lunch) but sadly won't be allowed to so am prepared for the pain to set in again. Bother.

Anyway, thanks very much and I'll be sure to mention all this to the GP

Do you get any other breaks before lunch? Even a 15 minute break where you could snack on something?
#9 Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you taking vitamins during the day on an empty stomach? This probably isn't the case, but just thought I'd check...
#10 Old 08-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Fadeaway, I wish I did! Starting to think it IS hunger, or at least something food very definitely puts a stop to. Even a piece of bread might work. But nope, no breaks. Just added two slices of toast to my huge breakfast but pretty sure that just having one giant meal won't last me ( and now just really lethargic..).
It sounds like a small problem but it's really not. I feel awful when it kicks in. The pain is terrible and the nausea makes me really unproductive. Just had a shower and spent the whole time pumping myself up to ask the boss if I could eat lunch earlier and trying to figure out how to not make it sound pathetic and annoying. She might say yes, but either way I'll look stupid. ALthough lunches are at those times because it's our quietest section of the day , clients all out to lunch, so... yeha. I considered getting up later and being 5 minutes late to work but eating breakfast later, and i think that's what I'll have to do. Won't help for today though
And addie, nope good suggestion but I'm not

it's quite silly, I'm actually starting to feel anxious about that feeling kicking in. Which is abnormal and not going to help anything. Just tired of it, since it's been a few weeks. And frustrated that it's potentially so easy to fix .
#11 Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

It might be just plain hunger. I know when I'm hungry I get stomach pains and start to feel sick if I don't eat when I need to. Can I ask what kind of work you do? Is it possible to carry around something in your pockets and munch on that at work or is there a "no food" policy? I would also sneak snacks at my previous job even though it was frowned upon.

Personally I would talk to your boss, tell him that you are having health issues and that you need to eat at certain times. People with conditions like diabetes or hypoglycemia have to eat frequently to keep their blood sugar levels in check so hopefully he'll be understandable and let you snack or/and get an early lunch. You would figure the company would rather have a productive and healthy employee instead of one that's puking or passing out on the floor It doesn't sound unreasonable to allow an employee to eat at certain times in order to prevent this. Good luck and try to take care of yourself.
#12 Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm not a doctor or medically qualified in any way so please take this with a very large pinch of salt, but any stomach pain which is relieved by eating straight away struck me as a possible peptic ulcer. You should certainly get it checked out by a medical professional as if that's what it is then there are treatments that should help it get better. I do hope you feel better soon.
#13 Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks folks! So I think perhaps it IS hunger (or perhaps the peptic ulcer you mentioned Cappucino, if that's relieved by food! Oh dear. I'll keep an eye on it) because today was a lot better (although not great). Took pie in and secretly ate it at what normal people would call lunchtime. The people who saw it reprimanded me (saw it sitting there with my bag, not even in the way?!) and the people who saw me secretly eating it did too, but to be honest, it was worth it to be able to get on with the second half of the day not be crippled with the strange feelings. It reappeared around 3 or 4 but that just makes it all the more likely to be odd unrecognised hunger.

Fadeaway, yes, your taking food in is a good option and one I've resorted to but I'm new so getting in trouble actually shakes me quite a bit, y'know? It's not my place to push 'no breaks and no food' policies...yet. I'm a psych under supervision at the moment. I could easily eat between clients, or take a lunchbreak a tad earlier than the 3pm people, surely. But I brought it up gently and was shot down. I didn't make it a 'health issue' though so perhaps I'll try that angle. I'm not sure why the strict rules, to be honest. I'd understand if there was no chance to eat a small amount in between, but there is . It's particularly frustrating because we actually get scrolls etc donated (where I work currently is half owned by a not for profit organisation ) and other workers grab them sometimes around 11 and eat them standing around the water cooler etc but I can't (gluten free)..yet am not allowed to eat what I myself brought. Apparently it's 'about community', or so I was told today. Everybody eats the same thing or, in the case of lunch, at the same time, and bringing your own morning tea (which must be how they keep going til 4!) is 'antisocial'. Clearly my superiors don't understand the gluten issue , since the verdict is "if you were hungry enough you'd eat the scrolls".
It's all a bit more of a drama than it needs to be, it seems. To have something not even work related stressing me out at work is so silly. I'm dreading tomorrow just because I'm not sure how I'll manage sneaking food AGAIN, let alone every day.

Blech.

But glad I've (probably) pinpointed it as hunger. How strange that it's different to any prior hunger I've experienced. But then again, bodies are like that sometimes

Thanks again for the input. It's absolutely valued!
#14 Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

OH. exciting update! If it IS hunger, it's no longer a problem. I went against my shy gut instincts and actually emailed the person above my boss today (yes, extreme I know, but it really does mess with my productivity and seems uber nonsensical that I go all day with no food just because I can't eat the damn danishes etc. ) asking HER if I could have permission to either eat earlier or bring food i could eat or both. And she sent back almost an immediate reply saying a) she was thrilled with my work and had been observing it despite my not knowing but also b) her mother has celiac disease and so she knows all about 'food things' and peoples' needs and habits and that I can put whatever I want in the fridge and eat different things to other people as long as I keep working as hard as i do EEEEE. oddly thrilled. and hugely relieved. hopefully this fixes the stomach aches and nausea.

and thanks, lillycheese i've booked an app
#15 Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

OH. exciting update! If it IS hunger, it's no longer a problem. I went against my shy gut instincts and actually emailed the person above my boss today (yes, extreme I know, but it really does mess with my productivity and seems uber nonsensical that I go all day with no food just because I can't eat the damn danishes etc. ) asking HER if I could have permission to either eat earlier or bring food i could eat or both. And she sent back almost an immediate reply saying a) she was thrilled with my work and had been observing it despite my not knowing but also b) her mother has celiac disease and so she knows all about 'food things' and peoples' needs and habits and that I can put whatever I want in the fridge and eat different things to other people as long as I keep working as hard as i do EEEEE. oddly thrilled. and hugely relieved. hopefully this fixes the stomach aches and nausea.

and thanks, lillycheese i've booked an app

Yay!! That's great to hear. And the fact that she is familiar w/ celiac's and understands...awesome. I'm so glad it all worked out for you.
#16 Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Further update, simply because I noticed something else and if anyone else is in the same boat it might help them out.
I think it's more a correlation not causation thing re: hunger.
I usually started feeling sick a few hours after breakfast and it lessened in the afternoon (coincidentally after eating). After getting confirming celiac blood tests (so many people on this board seem to have gone through this lately) I officially discovered I have to properly do this, and looked up the delicious oats I'd started eating a few weeks ago (when the pain resurfaced) and found out I was wrong: they aren't gluten free. So whilst I know that I'm one of those people who eating regularly is a must for, there's a possibility the midmorning stomach ache was a result of unknowingly eating something I shouldn't in the morning. I stopped and after a little while so did it. Still glad I asked about the lunch thing though because waiting that long to eat really does drop the productivity!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page