Has Anyone Had Scabies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

we think my husband has scabies that he got from his dying mother. has anyone here had this? how long does it take to go away? waiting on dr. appt b/c we only have state insurance as my husband is unemployed. thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Scabies will not go away on it's own. There is an over-the-counter medication that you have to slather all over your whole body (and all members of the household). You also have to clean EVERYTHING in your home - towels, sheets, blankets, carpets, etc.

This all has to be done at the same time because the scabies can live on and off of your body, so if you slather yourself in medicine without cleaning your blankets and towels, they will not go away (and visa versa).

Good Luck, I know it's not fun!
#3 Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane' date='30 June 2010 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1277942444' post='2667072 View Post

Scabies will not go away on it's own. There is an over-the-counter medication that you have to slather all over your whole body (and all members of the household). You also have to clean EVERYTHING in your home - towels, sheets, blankets, carpets, etc.

This all has to be done at the same time because the scabies can live on and off of your body, so if you slather yourself in medicine without cleaning your blankets and towels, they will not go away (and visa versa).

Good Luck, I know it's not fun!

OMG!! that is HORRID! thanks for reply!!! ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

yeah, you're gonna wanna get some cream for that pronto, and disinfect everything and boil fabric stuff like towels and sheets for a good few weeks. scabies is a little mite burrowing under the skin. horrible little chaps they are. sorry.
#5 Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Ankle Biter

I've had scabies twice thanks to working at the shelter. It's basically mange for people. I've never had a super bad case, as mine has always been confined to my inner elbows and forearms (where I carry dogs/puppies?). I have a prescription cream. The directions say to apply it to your entire body, but I never have since my symptoms have been only in my arms. I definitely launder all of my clothes, towels and bed linens in hot water, but no one else in my family has ever caught it.

The itching can be intense - it's notorious for keeping people up at night - and it did me. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes several days for you to feel relief from the cream.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

twice in my teens. Not a damn thing from the store got rid of it. Had to get special cream from a doctor's visit. But that stuff did the trick pretty darn fast both times. But that was way before the internet. I suppose if I'd get it again, I'd look up home remedies online. I wonder how tea tree oil might work.
#7 Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM

when I was a teen I lived in this big crappy kind of group home with hundreds of kids. I most def got the scabies and they were so disgusting and terrible. I remember my legs were just swollen red and covered in these big black dots.

No it won't go away on your own, you need a medicine that you rub on it. More than that, you need to get all your clothes wash in warm water and then dry, do with all your bedding too.

Don't worry its not difficult to get rid of if you just take the medicine and launder all the bedding material and clothes! Its been so long but I think I remember after a week my scabies were gone (I hate those little *******s!)
#8 Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

ugh!!!! yes we will do all of that--i just cant believe its happening here and it was the last gift from ed's mother--who we never liked!!! ick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page