Help Me Figure This Out? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I can eat cheese, ice cream and stuff like that but if I were to put milk in my cereal or drink a milkshake, I get diarrhea. I know milkshakes are straight milk mixed with other stuff, but I'm confused as to what product is only in milk and not cheese or ice cream, that makes me sick. Casein?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin0988' date='29 June 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1277860826' post='2666568 View Post

I can eat cheese, ice cream and stuff like that but if I were to put milk in my cereal or drink a milkshake, I get diarrhea. I know milkshakes are straight milk mixed with other stuff, but I'm confused as to what product is only in milk and not cheese or ice cream, that makes me sick. Casein?

Since they all have casein, and it's lactose that causes the diarrhea because it isn't broken down properly, maybe it's a quantity thing? I stopped drinking milk long before becoming vegan because it freaked me out. Since it wasn't an ethical thing, I would still eat some food with milk... Cheese, a little ice cream, sour cream, etc. But if set aside the "eewwww" factor and had any large quantity, like a few too many White Russians or a large milkshake, I would be sick as a dog.

Someone might have a better (read: actually accurate) answer, but that's the best guess I've got!
#3 Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Huh, that makes sense. I stopped using milk after watching "the corporation" for about a month and I tried it in cereal twice since then and got diarrhea both times so I haven't since, and anytime I drink milkshakes the same thing happen. I never stopped with cheese or ice cream though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

if youre lactose intolerant i would think that icecream should make you sick too (it does for me) because that is the cream with the undigested lactose too? maybe its a psychosomatic thing with the milk because of the movie you watched?

actually before i stopped all dairy icecream was worse for me than straight milk? but it might be a body specific thing too.
#5 Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure, but almond milk is really yummy in cereals.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#6 Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Sounds like lactose to me, too. I'm allergic to dairy and all of it makes me sick. My husband is lactose intolerant and has no problem with anything except straight milk (like on cereal).
#7 Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah&me' date='30 June 2010 - 05:35 AM' timestamp='1277890508' post='2666728 View Post

if youre lactose intolerant i would think that icecream should make you sick too (it does for me) because that is the cream with the undigested lactose too? maybe its a psychosomatic thing with the milk because of the movie you watched?

actually before i stopped all dairy icecream was worse for me than straight milk? but it might be a body specific thing too.

i've thought of it being psychosomatic too... but yesterday i didn't even think of the milk in the milkshake until i'd gone to the bathroom 3 times and couldn't eat dinner lol.
#8 Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana in IN' date='30 June 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1277909822' post='2666842 View Post

Sounds like lactose to me, too. I'm allergic to dairy and all of it makes me sick. My husband is lactose intolerant and has no problem with anything except straight milk (like on cereal).

isn't lactose in everything, though? or i'd assume it's varying levels in each product. that's interesting. i'm wondering if it's possible for lactose intolerance to fluctuate in severity from time to time..
#9 Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you like almond milk or soymilks? They are delicious in cereals and milkshakes.
#10 Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin0988' date='30 June 2010 - 10:08 PM' timestamp='1277953689' post='2667169 View Post

isn't lactose in everything, though? or i'd assume it's varying levels in each product. that's interesting. i'm wondering if it's possible for lactose intolerance to fluctuate in severity from time to time..

its a sugar, it could be in other things, and esp with the whole isolating of different parts of dairy products it could be put into manufactured foods... I think its just the high levels in the pure dairy products (and other animal milks...is goat milk dairy?)that produces the noticeable effects.

I dont know if you've read it somewhere else, but the way I understand lactose intolerance is that... when youre a kid you have lactATE its an enzyme in your gut that breaks down the lactOSE in milk (your mothers milk!). Once you're weaned that lactATE goes away, you dont need milk anymore, youre an adult! So when you drink milk from other animals, that contains lactOSE you dont have the enzyme to digest it, and therefore you get really gross digestive problems going on down there...

Of course it varies from person to person, and it is inflenced by genetics. Certain cultures that have not eaten dairy products are more likely to become lactose intolerant... i think asians and some european groups have the highest percentage of lactose intolerance?

ps- fun fact, you cant buy lactose free cows milke (what?) and also lactATE supplements... wonder who thought those up? so bizarre...
#11 Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm betting lactose intolerance. Cheese and cream have relatively small amounts of lactose in them whereas milk, especially skim milk, has quite a bit. When you give up lactose-containing products for any length of time your body loses the ability to digest them, which would explain why your symptoms were even worse after not drinking milk for a month. Perfectly normal and expected response.
#12 Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah&me' date='01 July 2010 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1277987839' post='2667321 View Post

its a sugar, it could be in other things, and esp with the whole isolating of different parts of dairy products it could be put into manufactured foods... I think its just the high levels in the pure dairy products (and other animal milks...is goat milk dairy?)that produces the noticeable effects.

I dont know if you've read it somewhere else, but the way I understand lactose intolerance is that... when youre a kid you have lactATE its an enzyme in your gut that breaks down the lactOSE in milk (your mothers milk!). Once you're weaned that lactATE goes away, you dont need milk anymore, youre an adult! So when you drink milk from other animals, that contains lactOSE you dont have the enzyme to digest it, and therefore you get really gross digestive problems going on down there...

Of course it varies from person to person, and it is inflenced by genetics. Certain cultures that have not eaten dairy products are more likely to become lactose intolerant... i think asians and some european groups have the highest percentage of lactose intolerance?

ps- fun fact, you cant buy lactose free cows milke (what?) and also lactATE supplements... wonder who thought those up? so bizarre...

that's very interesting, i have heard that before but was not sure if it was true. i've actually noticed i get a bit gasy after eating other milk products but nothing as bad as milk itself. i'm 1/2 ukrainian and we believe there is mongolian somewhere on that side, so that would make sense
#13 Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

^Just so you know, it's actually lactase, not lactate.

Lactose is the sugar in milks. "Lact" meaning milk and the "ose" is how we name sugars. (Like sucralose, glucose, etc.)

Lactase is an enzyme that breaks down lactose. It's a shortened version of lactose-phlorizin hydrolase.

(Lactate just means "to produce milk" or it's a ester in lactic acid.)

Here you can see a map from the handy Wikipedia, showing lactose intolerance by region.

Hannah&me is right that certain cultures (namely those that farmed and kept cows for milk widely and consistently) evolved a gene mutation that allow them to continue to drink milk past the age of weaning by slowing or eliminating the shutdown of lactase production.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page