I haven't had *any* dairy products for about 2 months but still have a lot of mucus? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-01-2003, 04:01 PM

What else in my diet could be the cause of all this mucus. I read that dairy can cause extra mucus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Other allergies?

I never had any ill effects from dairy...I never felt any different went I became a vegan.
#3 Old 04-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

dairy causing mucus is very temporary it goes away within a day if not hours. There are hundreds of allergies that cause mucus build up though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

do you drink enough water?

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 04-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Banned

What about hidden dairy products, or dairy-derived products?

When I went vegan my dairy based problems (mucus buildup, blocked sinuses and debilitating stomach cramps (so bad that they made me want to kill myself)) disappeared within a week (which was a HUGE bonus to me for going vegan).
#6 Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 PM

I second the question about whether you are drinking enough water.
#7 Old 04-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

i third the question about water.
#8 Old 04-02-2003, 02:56 AM

Fourth...

and what kind of mucus are we talking here? Mucus in the eyes or nose...or both?
#9 Old 04-02-2003, 07:24 AM

Herself, mucus in the nose. After i dropped dairy i was so excited about no more blowing nose each morning! -i just figured it was due to all the dairy i was taking in.

Kurmudgen: I am pretty anal about not taking in *any* animal products ..i read labals and i make almost everything i eat homemade --fresh veggies and fresh fruit, whole grains, and homemade beans etc. I have given up almost *all* processed foods -except for my fortified soy milk. Ihave even reduced the amount of almonds i eat -which can also cause extra mucus. what else could it be.

I try to drink about 2 liters of water a day. I only drink water plus my 2 8oz glasses of soy milk.

No soda, tea, or juice.
#10 Old 04-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Beansprout

Kurmudgen: I am pretty anal about not taking in *any* animal products ..i read labals and i make almost everything i eat homemade --fresh veggies and fresh fruit, whole grains, and homemade beans etc. I have given up almost *all* processed foods -except for my fortified soy milk. Ihave even reduced the amount of almonds i eat -which can also cause extra mucus. what else could it be.

I try to drink about 2 liters of water a day. I only drink water plus my 2 8oz glasses of soy milk.

No soda, tea, or juice.

Ahh, okay. I wasn't sure of your diet, so was wondering if you were consuming something that may have hidden dairy products in. I'm not sure what else could be causing it.
#11 Old 04-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Other common allergies are soy and wheat.
#12 Old 04-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

And it may not be a dietary allergy. Things like dust, mold, animals, etc can also cause this.

In fact, it might not be an allergy at all. Some people just produce more mucus than others... at least, that's what the Doctor told me.
#13 Old 04-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah i have pretty bad dust allergies myself.

i sniffle and sneeze constantly throughout day and night no matter where i am or what i eat/drink.

do you find it's worse indoors or outdoors, what time of day do you notice it most, what room of the house are you usually in when it's bad, etc. keep track of these things for a couple of days to help you better understand what might be causing it.

if it's mostly in the morning when you wake up in bed, maybe you're allergic to dustmites. wash your sheets, pillows, and blankets, and try running the vaccum over your matress on both sides and if it's a boxed in wooden bedframe like my old one was there may be dust collecting between frame and matress, vaccum that area as well. you might also want to dust the frame and headboard as well as any furniture or wall hangings around your bed, and vaccum/sweep underneath the bed. see if that makes a difference.

this is stuff that should be done ocassionally anyways in my opinion, because if you're not allergic now you could develop an allergy from prolonged exposure to dust and/or mites.

eta: i also find my allergies worst in winter because the windows and doors are always closed, so i'm breathing recirculated air constantly, sometimes when my allergies get bad i take a walk outside and it fixes me right up. as long as you're not allergic to pollen in which case that may not help

~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 04-02-2003, 04:07 PM

LadyFaile : 'if it's mostly in the morning when you wake up in bed, maybe you're allergic to dustmites. wash your sheets, pillows, and blankets, and try running the vaccum over your matress on both sides'

Interesting, I always wake up and have to blow my nose first thing, the rest of the day i'm fine.

Thanks for all your ideas!
#15 Old 04-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

go to the doctor
#16 Old 04-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

for allergies? pah

if you do everything you can and still have symptoms or they get worse then yeah go see a doc in case it's some kind of infection or whatnot, but otherwise it doesn't sound like anything serious

~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 04-04-2003, 02:59 PM

I gave up almond-butter (which i usually eat a lot of) and have noticed a big difference the past few days. I think it's too much nut butter?!? But I also haven't eaten any wheat for the past few days too.

I will have to add one back to my diet and see what happens.
#18 Old 04-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Umm. I like mucus. I just don't like it when it gets too thick. Or, for that matter, too thin. One of the best things in life is when you can look at a sample of mucus and roll it between your fingers and say "ah, perfecto."

I didn't notice a change in my nasal mucus after I went vegan.

Largest producer of mucus in the body? I think the gastro-intestinal system produces at least as much as the repiratory system, if not more. You need lots of mucus so that your gi absorbs food -- instead of food sitting in your gi absorbing the lining of your gi. Any time food sits in one spot for too long a time, your gi tries to protect itself by secreting more mucus. If it senses an emergency, it may pull the "mucus-all-over-your body" alarm switch. Then even tho it is only one spot in your small intestine where chyme is not moving along -- you will find excess mucus coming out of your nose or lungs. Probably because a chemical messenger gets into your blood, and travels everywhere, telling your nerves in various places to send out "produce more mucus" orders.
#19 Old 04-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

One of the best things in life is when you can look at a sample of mucus and roll it between your fingers and say "ah, perfecto."

Soilman, that's priceless! You just made my morning. Thanks!

Edited to properly spell "soilman"
#20 Old 04-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Banned

Beansprout in my experience excessive amounts of almond butter can cause excessive mucus secretion. Moderate amounts are zero problem. I would scrupulously avoid almond skins, by the way. If you can get almond butter withougt the skins ground in -- this is much healthier.

The skins contain tannic acid -- a nasty stomach irritant -- which causes the stomach to secrete thicker mucus protect itself. But even blanched almonds in excess, are not such a good thing.

As I tried to indicate with my remarks that Thalia liked -- the problem with mucus that usually presents itself is not a problem of excess mucus but a problem of mucus having too thick (or sometimes too thin) a consistency. Abundant mucus, as we all know, is a wonderful thing.
#21 Old 04-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Garlic can help to clear up sinus problems etc. I take a supplement as well as eating lots in my diet. I used to suffer a lot with congestion etc and now I'm fine. It helped me! It may be worth a try for mucus.
#22 Old 04-08-2003, 08:28 PM

Many people have wheat sensitivities and don't really realize it. I find that if I over do it on wheat products that I get extra mucus. You can do a sensitivity test by eliminating wheat from your diet completely for about six days, then slowly add it back and see how your reaction is. If the mucus comes back strong, you may need to consider reducing your wheat intake. Other common sensitivities are corn, and soy.

Hope you feel better soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page