Low fiber diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I know someone with a condition where they have to eat a fairly low fiber diet. I don't know how many g she should have, it might be subjective based on how she's handling it. So anyway, she tried to cut back on her meat consumption, but in turn, eats too much fiber. I don't think she has any desire to be completely vegetarian, but I think she'd like the option of eating less meat.

Is is possible to be veg*n or eat considerably less meat, get enough calories and nutrition, and get less than the recommended amount of fiber?

This type of problem has struck two members of my immediate family, so I worry about myself, which is mainly why I'm posting. What if I end up with the same (or similar) condition? I'm not vegan but cannot tolerate dairy. I'm crossing my fingers that it was a fluke and not hereditary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really know, but is there a good nutritionalist you can consult about this? Good luck!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#3 Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Does juicing fruits and veggies remove enough fiber? Oh, and maybe juiced wheatgrass for extra protein.

I think nuts and avocados are fairly low in fiber.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myria View Post

Does juicing fruits and veggies remove enough fiber? Oh, and maybe juiced wheatgrass for extra protein.

I think nuts and avocados are fairly low in fiber.

Yeah nuts and seeds are a no-go. Forgot to mention that. I think she can handle much smaller seeds, like strawberry ones, but not any you'd generally eat just for the nutrition in them, like sunflower seeds. My dad's condition he has to remove ALL nuts and seeds, even teeny ones, though he doesn't have as much of a problem with fiber.

I also told her to go get checked for allergies because she's having skin problems on top of everything else.
#5 Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh geez, that's pretty restrictive...

I totally forgot about eggs because I don't eat them myself, but if there are no problems with eggs (ethical or medical), they seem like they would be invaluable in a case like that.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#6 Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/NR/rdonlyr...struction1.pdf

Look at the rightmost column on the... third... page. It lists a bunch of low-fibre fruits and vegetables.

Also, http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....egetables.html

Enjoy your diet of what looks like OJ and pumpkin pie.
#7 Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/NR/rdonlyr...struction1.pdf

Look at the rightmost column on the... third... page. It lists a bunch of low-fibre fruits and vegetables.

Also, http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....egetables.html

Enjoy your diet of what looks like OJ and pumpkin pie.

That is very helpful thanks! Luckily it's not me that has to stick to that diet, but I will pass this along to my sister.
#8 Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're just blending the fruit and drink everything in there, you're still getting all of the fiber. But if you're juicing it with a juicer, most juicers take out all of the pulp and bulky stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page