Sleep Apnea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone have this? Or know anyone who has this?

My husband is suffering from this and we're going to the doctor tomorrow to figure out what to do. He's been working horrible hours lately, not getting enough rest, not getting ANY exercise, and eating junk when he's at work. I am so worried about him. I am up until 1 or 2 am listening to his awful snore/snore/stop breathing/gasp for air/great big snore/snore/snore/stop breathing cycle and it makes me want to cry.

And then he's too tired to for too and I miss that! He does too!

I'd like to hear how others handled this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2004, 12:20 AM

My dad suffers from sleep apnea Sally, and he and my mom were going crazy before he went to a sleep clinic and they figured out what it was. Now he has a little breathing machine that's in his nightstand.. I can't remember what it's called.

Anyway, he has to have this little face mask on and the machine forces air back and forth into his air passages once he falls asleep. It regulates his air so he won't do any brain damage in those 1 to 1 1/2 minutes that he used to not breathe at all!

Have you tried to have him only sleep on his sides?? 99% of people who snore only snore when they sleep on their backs. Good luck whatever you guys end up doing!
#3 Old 01-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

Does anyone have this? Or know anyone who has this?

My husband is suffering from this and we're going to the doctor tomorrow to figure out what to do. He's been working horrible hours lately, not getting enough rest, not getting ANY exercise, and eating junk when he's at work. I am so worried about him. I am up until 1 or 2 am listening to his awful snore/snore/stop breathing/gasp for air/great big snore/snore/snore/stop breathing cycle and it makes me want to cry.

And then he's too tired to for too and I miss that! He does too!

I'd like to hear how others handled this...

I remember a colleague of mine, who was snoring on duty that the brick wall was vibrating. It was awful, when he stopped snoring and breathing however. He also has this peep-respirator (peep - positive end expiratory pressure) and is doing fine nowadays. I´ve seen some of our patients bringing their respirators to our hospital, and they told me that they "won´t leave home without it", no, they were doing much better with the respirator.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My GF used to have this...consequently, she couldn't get a decent night's rest and was so tired all the time.

Luckily, the cause was enlarged tonsils...everything was fine after her tonsilectomy.

ebola
#5 Old 01-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom has this, and she's always exhausted too. I agree you might want to have him try sleeping on his side or stomach, as my mom only wakes up when she's on her back. There's something about how the respirtory pipe (sorry, brain fart, I can't remember what the heck its called), but there is something about sleeping on your stomach that helps with air flow.
#6 Old 04-07-2004, 07:59 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I woke up last night unable to breath. I think it must have been something to do with sleep Apnea. It was freaky as it took me a few seconds to be able to breath. I managed to do a big gasp- followed by lots of coughing. Was freaky. I have been told I snore in the past so I guess it must be this? Will see how it goes before seeking medical help

K
#7 Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 PM

Sometimes I get this too, and it's aggravated when my weight's up. If he's got a few pounds to spare, losing them might very well help. Also I don't know if he takes drugs but sleeping pills such as Ambien and Halcion aggravate it with me as well. I know, I know, they sure do make one indifferent to it; maybe some could help YOU sleep better anyway . . .

A partner of mine wears the MIG mask to bed. He says it helps, and I think he sometimes shoots down a bomber or two in his sleep . . .
#8 Old 04-07-2004, 08:56 PM

My dad had this for years until he had his nose reconstructed (broken too many times in basketball) and some part in the back of his throat removed (he already had his tonsils out so it was something else; adenoids, maybe??). He is so much improved! The surgery was rough for him to have both at once, but when I stayed over Christmas, you couldn't hear him snoring all through the house anymore, and no more gapsing for breath several hundred times a night.
#9 Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I completely forgot about this thread!

My husband went to the doctor and found out that his thyroid doesn't work any more. (Extreme hypotyroidism)

He's been on Synthroid for about 5.5 weeks now, and he's lost 10 lbs and is sleeping a lot better. He was sheduled for an overnight sleep study at our local hospital but he ended up cancelling it because he's not gasping for air anymore. Yay!!
#10 Old 04-09-2004, 10:45 PM

It runs in my family - all the males. Some have had surgeries to correct it.
#11 Old 04-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned

The treatment for sleep apnea is a breathing pump called a CPAP or BiPAP. It forces breathing to be regular even when your body forgets to breathe. I have lived with one for almost 10 years. It makes sleeping so much more restful.
#12 Old 04-09-2004, 10:56 PM

I'm glad he's doing better, Sally!
#13 Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 PM

The husband and I are both snorers, however on a different level. He has throat airway obstruction while mine was more of a nasal congestion. He is currently using the slumber guard anti snoring device (snoring mouth guard) while I use nasal strips. He just started with his vegan diet last January and is planning to maintain it for good. This will really be a big help in treating his apnea from within and with the help of a mouth guard. His was more serious than mine because he was overweight, so now that he has started trimming down his weight and balancing his lifestyle I do hope that the snoring will be gone for good! :)

#14 Old 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had sleep apnea for years, which is one of the reasons I got interested in a plant-based diet. Losing weight really helps with the problem as well as using a CPAP (or other such machine). The machine helps one sleep better and better sleep leads to more energy and weight loss. (Of course one still needs to eat properly and get moderate exercise).

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page