Sore pierced ears - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Anyone have trouble with sore piercings after having them for ages and ages? I just wore a new pair of earrings the other night, so I'm wondering if it was some sort of reaction to them. Ears for the past two days are tender around the piercing holes, and apparently oozing a bit because they get a little crusty (just barely). Don't really want to go to the doc, so going to try some peroxide tonight, but not sure what would cause this to happen now.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't use peroxide on them because it can really dry them out and make things worse. Instead use some warm water and kosher salt (this is what is recommended when you get your ears pierced and it draws out any infection).

This happens to me if I don't wear earrings for a while and then wear some for a long time or ones that are heavy. My ears will be tender for a few days but it will go away. If I start wearing earrings more consistently though, it stops happening.

EDIT: Use 1/4 tsp salt per 8oz of warm water
#3 Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Oh yeah. Sounds like you have some sort of allergy to a metal in the earings, the most common allergen in jewelery is nickle I believe. I am the same way, my ears used to get inflamed, horribly itchy and oozy also. I have to buy now earings for "sensitive" ears, or really really good (i.e. more expensive) earrings. I read a while ago that you can get around this by painting the posts of the earrings (and also the surface that directly touches your ears) with a few coats of clear nailpolish and let dry completely. I've never tried it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM

I've never had any trouble with allergies, but they were dangly earrings, which I haven't worn in ages. (not a smart move when you work with babies, heh) Thanks for the tip about the salt water rinse!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Do not use peroxide as this can dry out the skin, causing it to crack, and leading to infection. You should use warm water and salt, as stated, or some zinc ointment.
#6 Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I could never wear dangly fishook style earrings. they always used to catch in my hair and get very sore, and couldnt be heavy at all or id end up taking them out after an hour or so. I'd just wear post earrings all the time, which were hard to find in a dangly style. my cure was stretching my ears and putting dangly earrings through glass or titanium tunnels, so they dont touch my skin and theyre not pulling on my ears by a thin little wire. i know that isnt ideal for most people though hehe.

I'd definately recommend doing the sea salt rinse/soak. you can almost instantly feel the benefits.

also, my mum says that she gets sore earring holes when she doesnt take them out to wash her hair and shampoo gets stuck behind. is that a possibility? if it happened after new ones its probably just something that your ears dont like with those earrings
#7 Old 03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

definitely sea salt and warm water soak. i have 3 holes in each ear cause i am rad like that and if i dont wear earrings for a long time they get sore--pretty normal it seems
#8 Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

I have allergies to certain metals, so I can't wear most earrings. Putting Neosporin on the earring before putting it in helps a bit. If you clean them and still have the reaction, a few people told me to pain clear nail polish over the part that goes in your ears.
#9 Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It could also be the weight of the earrings (if they were heavy, you mentioned they dangled) especially if you're used to wearing studs or no earrings. I have plugs, but whenever I wear heavy, dangly earrings with them for an extended period of time, they react by becoming tender and slightly swollen. No scientific explanation as to why, but some experience. Just a thought!
#10 Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I always have this reaction if I wear earrings with nickel in them (which is most cheap earrings - I can't afford to buy real silver ones!) - sore, weeping etc for the day I wear them and a couple of days afterward. I just keep them clean and it goes away if I don't wear them for a bit, once the irritation has calmed down. If I rub vaseline on the posts and the backs before I put them in I find I don't get the symptoms so badly, and if I'm only wearing them for a short time with the vaseline (e.g. a night out) I don't get any symptoms at all.

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#11 Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 AM

My ears got sore, too, esp when I wear copper earrings. But it turns out okay in a few days, don't worry. sometimes it's not allergy but irritation.

however, if it doesn't get well in a week or so see a doctor to make sure it isn't infected.
#12 Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 AM

Yeah, they seem to be fine now. It could be an allergy, but it just seems unlikely since I've been wearing Claire's earrings since I was like 15.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page