Choking Is a Leading Cause of Injury and Death Among Children - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0226212559.htm

Choking is a leading cause of injury and death among children, especially those younger than 4 years of age. The majority of choking-related incidents among children are associated with food, coins and toys. A new policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), led by a doctor at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and published in the February 22 online issue of Pediatrics, takes a closer look at preventing choking among children.

On average, a child will die every 5 days in the United States from choking on food. However, too little attention is paid by government agencies and food manufacturers to minimizing choking risks. Although some food manufacturers voluntarily place warning labels on high risk products, more work needs to be done to implement safety standards for all high risk foods in regard to choking.

“We have laws and regulations in this country that require warning labels to be placed on toys that pose choking hazards, and we have systems that monitor and recall consumer products that pose a risk,” said the policy’s lead author Gary Smith, MD, DrPH, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. “However, there are no such regulations on high risk foods - and children are much more likely to put food in their mouths than a toy.”

According to the policy statement, the AAP recommends:

Warning labels on foods that pose a high choking risk

A recall of food products that pose a significant choking hazard

The establishment of a nationwide food-related choking-incident surveillance and reporting system

A commitment from food manufacturers to design new food and redesign existing food to minimize choking risk, to the extent possible

click on link for more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

um.... shouldn't parents sort of be present when small kids are eating and remind them to chew, not inhale, and mush up or otherwise avoid dodgy foods? ... they want to recall food that people could choke on? seems a bit keen to me.
#3 Old 02-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

um.... shouldn't parents sort of be present when small kids are eating and remind them to chew, not inhale, and mush up or otherwise avoid dodgy foods? ....

Well I nearly flat lined choking on some food once jen and thats when I was a big boy

Quote:
they want to recall food that people could choke on? seems a bit keen to me

Well this is USofA jen , I don't know what the recall would be on , you can choke out on a peanut . So yerh ,a bit keen as you say . But if grown adults can choke out , it would be easy for a kid to .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 PM

I read this recently. I think warnings on boxes would be nice for those parents who are alittle slow on the uptake. But most of the foods mentioned are things that kids really shouldn't be eating anyways. Hot dogs, candies, etc. At least not without close supervision. I think it is about parents being proactive and more aware than having a massive food recall. As for the healthy chokable foods (ie: grapes) your told by your pediatrician to cut them in half.
#5 Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this on the news the other day also. Yeah it's pretty much common sense to watch your kids when they are eating these foods and to cut them up into smaller pieces. How about instead of a warning label on hot dogs they put a label that lists every single ingredient that's actually in the hot dog?
#6 Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

So a parent that is too stupid to watch their children eat or too stupid to feed their children food that has a low risk factor will be smart enough to read a warning label?
#7 Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

So a parent that is too stupid to watch their children eat or too stupid to feed their children food that has a low risk factor will be smart enough to read a warning label?

It's not that simple. I know a little girl who choked on a goldfish cracker (which is a food marketed to kids) while her mom was right there and she ended up with a brain injury and cerebral palsy and a feeding tube. Will gold fish crackers no longer be for children? If the don't put a warning on them, will parents really think they aren't appropriate since they are marketed to children? What if the parent IS supervising? $hit happens. I mean, maybe it's obvious you shouldn't give a 9 month old round things like whole grapes and hot dogs, but really, we have to scrutinize every food until they are over 4 years of age? I think a bit of common sense goes a long way, but we can't say that choking incidents are a result of stupid parents.
#8 Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

It's not that simple. I know a little girl who choked on a goldfish cracker (which is a food marketed to kids) while her mom was right there and she ended up with a brain injury and cerebral palsy and a feeding tube. Will gold fish crackers no longer be for children? If the don't put a warning on them, will parents really think they aren't appropriate since they are marketed to children? What if the parent IS supervising? $hit happens. I mean, maybe it's obvious you shouldn't give a 9 month old round things like whole grapes and hot dogs, but really, we have to scrutinize every food until they are over 4 years of age? I think a bit of common sense goes a long way, but we can't say that choking incidents are a result of stupid parents.

Goldfish crackers are marketed to kids 6 and up. Was the unfortunate little girl age 6 or older? Also, Goldfish crackers have been made and sold for 100 years. How many people have been put in the hospital because of them?

Yeah you are right, $h** does happen but will a warning label really help? I see fathers smoking in the car with their kids, pregnant mothers drinking booze and more. Warning labels don't really seem to work on them.
#9 Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

I think a bit of common sense goes a long way, but we can't say that choking incidents are a result of stupid parents.

Exactly. As a mother myself, I know first-hand how easily it is for kids to choke or get hurt -- even with us standing right there..

My son has choked a bit on crackers before too! And its not always the parent's fault or stupidity to blame. (ETA: And these were the baby rusk crackers. So they definitely were marketed to kids under 4 here..)

Children naturally get into dangerous situations quickly.. even apart from choking. i.e. The other night, I was washing dishes and my son just so decided to jump up, reach into the sink and pull out a knife!! Thankfully he didn't get hurt -- I don't even know how he reached so high, it happened in a FLASH and I was standing right there beside him rinsing a cup!!

I don't think a ban should be placed on foods.. but a little warning or education would be great for new parents. Dangerous things happen too often with children, even under the very BEST supervision possible!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#10 Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Goldfish crackers are marketed to kids 6 and up. Was the unfortunate little girl age 6 or older? Also, Goldfish crackers have been made and sold for 100 years. How many people have been put in the hospital because of them?

Yeah you are right, $h** does happen but will a warning label really help? I see fathers smoking in the car with their kids, pregnant mothers drinking booze and more. Warning labels don't really seem to work on them.

Does it say that on the package?
#11 Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought car accidents were the leading cause of death though. That says 1 child every 5 days will die from choking and my cps express newsletter (I think?) yesterday said 4 children every day die in car accidents in the U.S.. But if the information is from nationwide, that would explain how they missed some pretty obvious facts. LOL Or maybe people are finally realizing car seats do save lives.

ETA: ok nevermind it says *a* leading cause, not *the* leading cause. My bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page