Do you brush your teeth before OR after eating breakfast? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you brush before or after?
Before. 0 0%
After. 1 100.00%
Both before and after. 0 0%
I don't brush in the mornings. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I always brush before but then once I think about it....kinda leaves the breakfast foods on my teeth for the rest of the day...

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 AM

Yes, I brush my teeth before OR after eating breakfast.
#3 Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 AM
Beginner

lol i brush after breakfast o.0
#5 Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Before AND after.

I think it's just gross not to brush your teeth before your first meal of the day.
#6 Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Before and after.
#7 Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 AM
Banned

After.

I had seen a facebook group called "you know you're Asian when..." and one of the things was "you brush your teeth before breakfast". My friend had joined the group and I asked her if that one was true, and she said it was, because she wanted to remove the bacteria from her mouth before she ate. I said it made more sense to me to remove the bacteria, sugar, plaque and food from your teeth after a meal. Otherwise your teeth are only 'clean' for the time after you brush and before you start eating.

I guess you could do both but that seems like overkill.
#8 Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

My friend had joined the group and I asked her if that one was true, and she said it was, because she wanted to remove the bacteria from her mouth before she ate. I said it made more sense to me to remove the bacteria, sugar, plaque and food from your teeth after a meal. Otherwise your teeth are only 'clean' for the time after you brush and before you start eating.

The taste and smell of your mouth after just waking up is awful
#9 Old 01-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Banned

That goes away as soon as you have a drink or some food, y'know.
#10 Old 01-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Also, the taste of toothpaste combined with a flavoured drink is absolutely disgusting! I would not want that with my breakfast.
#11 Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I clean them first because I don't eat first thing in the morning as it makes me feel sick. So if I left it I wouldn't clean them till 11ish
#12 Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steps View Post

I clean them first because I don't eat first thing in the morning as it makes me feel sick.

I am the exact opposite. I have to eat first thing in the morning or else I feel sick. I brush my teeth afterwards and then after lunch, dinner, and before I go to bed.
#13 Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I always brush after a meal (breakfast or other meal), but never when I wake up. I can't understand the logic of brushing only before - surely you need to clean your teeth from the food you've just consumed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeen View Post

The taste and smell of your mouth after just waking up is awful

That never happens to me or any of the people I know. Your mouth should not taste and smell foul when you wake, or at any other time of the day really. Are you sure there's not an underlying condition there? Are you brushing your teeth before you go to bed?
#14 Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

After.

Why brush your teeth and then go and eat? It makes no sense.

Also, minty toothpaste and most cereals clash extemely.
#15 Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

That never happens to me or any of the people I know. Your mouth should not taste and smell foul when you wake, or at any other time of the day really. Are you sure there's not an underlying condition there? Are you brushing your teeth before you go to bed?

You've never heard of morning breath?
#16 Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

After.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#17 Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You've never heard of morning breath?

I guess I've never experienced it. If I did, I would concentrate on overall better dental hygiene and probably book an appointment with my dentist, not cover it up by brushing my teeth in the morning, and then compounding the problem by not brushing after breakfast. But that's just me. :shrug:
#18 Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Ankle Biter

I brush before and after. I always brush as soon as I get up, then I eat a small bite and go to the gym or run. After my workout, I eat a proper breakfast with coffee, and then head to the shower. After my shower, I do the whole mouth hygiene thing - floss, waterpik and mouthwash. Then I may brush periodically throughout the day, depending on what I eat, but always before bed.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#19 Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

On weekends I brush aftewards. On weekdays I brush before because I'll usually wait to eat breakfast until I get to work.
#20 Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Also, the taste of toothpaste combined with a flavoured drink is absolutely disgusting! I would not want that with my breakfast.

I'm with you on this. To me, it doesn't make sense to brush my teeth, and then eat something. Minty flavors do not go with everything (I use minty toothpaste, not sure what everybody else uses).

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#21 Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

I'm with you on this. To me, it doesn't make sense to brush my teeth, and then eat something. Minty flavors do not go with everything (I use minty toothpaste, not sure what everybody else uses).

I used to have this problem until I switched to Organic Toothpaste. It still is minty and makes your breath fresh but it doesn't make things taste "sour" if you eat right after.

I brush after! I like leaving the house with a minty fresh mouth!
#22 Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM

I brush during breakfast.
#23 Old 01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I always brush right after my shower. On weekends that's typically after breakfast. On weekdays I usually skip breakfast.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#24 Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat breakfast, but I cant go more than 5mins of being awake without brushing my teeth (sinus troubles = minging taste in mouth). If I did, I'd do them again after. I dont feel right leaving the house with unbrushed teeth.
#25 Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

After.

I had seen a facebook group called "you know you're Asian when..." and one of the things was "you brush your teeth before breakfast". My friend had joined the group and I asked her if that one was true, and she said it was, because she wanted to remove the bacteria from her mouth before she ate. I said it made more sense to me to remove the bacteria, sugar, plaque and food from your teeth after a meal. Otherwise your teeth are only 'clean' for the time after you brush and before you start eating.

I guess you could do both but that seems like overkill.

hee....im asian and i brush before...i don't know...things just taste weird with bad breath...

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#26 Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

I guess I've never experienced it. If I did, I would concentrate on overall better dental hygiene and probably book an appointment with my dentist, not cover it up by brushing my teeth in the morning, and then compounding the problem by not brushing after breakfast. But that's just me. :shrug:

All your dentist would tell you is that bacteria levels are high in your mouth in the morning, and the gases released by them smell bad. It's nothing to do with dental hygiene, unless you want to get up several times in the night to brush your teeth.
#27 Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Most mornings I brush after but sometimes I'm running late and have to eat breakfast in the car and then I obviously have to brush before.
#28 Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have never met a person whose mouth smells good after waking up (it's normal & natural). I don't have any problems with oral health I use the best tooth paste (which is also vegan btw) and brush at least twice daily. I usually leave the house with a clean mouth & always brush my teeth before going to bed.

I have known people instead of brushing their teeth they rinse their mouth with a mouthwash and then go have breakfast. I guess thats better than nothing at all.

After looking at the poll result I'm surprised that people have breakfast without brushing their teeth
#29 Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxicglue View Post

hee....im asian and i brush before...i don't know...things just taste weird with bad breath...

he he I'm asian too. I think I'm the only one in my family who makes a point of brushing before breakfast, my other family members they don't usually do the same.
#30 Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't imagine brushing before eating breakfast, it would ruin the taste of your food, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page