Do you think sugar is harmful? Is anyone here sugar free or almost sugar free? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2003, 07:53 AM

I really want to cut out my sugar addiction. Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Sugar is harmful in the way that it is empty calories.

Digesting it uses vitamins and other nutrients (that are not in the sugar).

I reduced on my sugar intake and I feel it made me more sensitive for the effects.

I experience sugar high and sugar blues much sooner than before.
#3 Old 03-27-2003, 12:21 AM

Also...candida feeds off of sugar and sugar destroys your intestinal flora seriously altering what should be a healthy balance of the two. When that happens, you are more prone to infections...especially yeast infections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

We cut down on our use of sugar by buying fewer sweets...now someone has to make dessert from scratch and what do you know... a lot fewer desserts are eaten!
#5 Old 03-27-2003, 06:19 AM

Soda is a huge source of sugar, too. (duh) I don't drink soda regularly--maybe once every couple of months or something. I don't really pay much attention to my sugar intake, but I do know that since I've been vegan (meaning no access to the cheap junkfood out there) my sugar intake has been significantly cut.

Sugar certainly is in just about everything though.
#6 Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 AM

I have no problem with sugar as long as it is not refined through bone char. I make all my own desserts just to be sure. Sugar is food and I have been eating it all my life with no bad results, I have never had a yeast infection and I eat a lot of sugar. I use to drink a lot of soda until I became vegan. I think the caffiene and the chemicals in soda is the main culprit health wise.
#7 Old 03-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I stopped eating refined sugar about ten years ago. Sugar reeks havoc on your hormones. It causes premature aging, and suppresses your immune response. Also, in the bodies attempt to process refined sugar, vitamins and vital minereals, are leached from bones, blood and tissue, causing the body to brake down or malfunction easier.
#8 Old 03-27-2003, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I really only use it in coffee and baked goods. I don't like to drink anything sweet (and that includes fruit juices/drinks which can have tons of sugar). I don't like candy.
#9 Old 03-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Banned

Baby writes: "Also, in the bodies attempt to process refined sugar, vitamins and vital minereals, are leached from bones, blood and tissue "

This is the main problem with refined sugar -- it doesn't come already equipped with the micronutrients needed by your body to help digest and assimilate it. And they have to come from somewhere. If you use sugar as a substitute for natural sweets such as fruits and things like whole cane syrup, maple syrup, and sweet vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, and asparagus, and thus don't get enough of these fruits and vegetables, you may indeed suffer as a result. There are people who eat cookies and cakes in abundance, and rarely eat fresh fruit. This is where sugar becomes a problem. But if you eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and supplement this with a small portion of refined sugar in candy or cakes or cookies, once a day maybe, you are not going to have a problem with that sugar. Because of the water content of soft drinks, they rarely are a problem too. Nor is chewing gum a problem unless you chew amounts that are quite unusually large. Same thing with an occaisional sugar sucking-candy. It isn't sugar that is the problem, it is lack of knowledge or lack of putting knowledge into practice, that is the problem.

Personally tho, I prefer to make my own soft drinks by mixing fruit juice, or juices, and water or carbonated water, and sugar. That way at least about 1/4 of the sugar in each portion, comes from the fruit juice, instead of from USP grade, chemical reagent grade, refined sucrose. And along with the fruit-sugar, comes some micronutrients -- something missing from commercial fruit juice.
#10 Old 04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I finally made it here to these new boards. I'm a bit disoriented...

Anyway, about refined sugar, I gave it up all together, cold turkey. To me it's like heroin; I truly am an addict. Either I need to eat large quantities of it all the time, or I can't have any at all. So, in the interest of my health, I've opted to have none at all. I do eat a lot of fruit (fresh and dried) and products sweetened with fruit juice. I buy jams that are sweetened with fruit juice and sweeten my own baked goods with fruit juice. Sometimes I think the proliferation of sugar in our society is some sort of conspiracy to keep us all complacent. The fact that people will pay the amount they do for a soda that is basically just sugar water that rots their teeth and makes them fat supports that theory. And don't even get me started on Nutrasweet! At other times, I think I'm just paranoid. In any case, I consider myself a sugar addict in recovery.
#11 Old 04-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Sugar is a staple of my diet. It's the reason why my dentist has condemned my teeth. I still eat sugar, and plenty of it, but I've quit drinking coke, and I'm trying to live better.

But my advice is that if you want to sweeten something, use a sugar alternative. (I wouldn't advise aspartame (E951) since a few people have fatal allergies to the stuff, and it gives me headaches. I don't believe it's good) Of course, i don't practice what I preach, because I have no worries about my health. (I'm one of those "life is too short to count calories" guys!) But natural sweetners can be used. My personal recommendation is that if you get a craving for something sweet, then prescribe yourself a bowl of Loki's quinoa pudding:

70g (3oz) quinoa

35g (1 1/2 oz) raisins

1 Cup apple juice

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp ground cinnamon

Firstly, rinse the quinoa well. very well!! Then cook the quinoa in water. Use between half of a cup and one cup of water. If it doesn't fully cook, just add more. Once it's cooked, add the apple juice, raisins, lemon juice and vanilla. Allow it to boil, and keep stirring. Then, once it's a few minutes away from boiling dry,. add the cinnamon. If it looks a little pale, add more cinnamon if needs be. It should be a good brown colour. And let it boil dry, and you'll have this sticky mix of quinoa, which has a pleasant apple taste. It's quite sweet.

It's quite sweet, and the apple juice gives it its sweetness. I've found that it deals wit hany cravings for sweet food, and although i don't condemn sugar, I do love this recipe, and I recommend it to people who are looking for a sweet recipe which contains no refined sugar.
#12 Old 04-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice recipe Loki.

I try not to eat much sugar. I do not drink soda and do not have it in tea etc. If I find that I have a sugar craving, I normally go for a couple of squares of dark organic chocolate and that sorts me right out. I find it so rich in flavour that it sorts out my cravings. Works for me anyway!
#13 Old 04-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Yummmm, Loki. I'm gonna have to try your recipe.

I don't eat refined sugars. I try to use Maple syrup if possible, or stevia. I'm not a huge fan of stevia because I can't get past the aftertaste (even though I buy an exceptionally good quality one) I was diagnosed Type II diabetic, so I have no choice but to limit the sweets. I try to buy things that are fruit sweetened, like my favorite goodie, Soy Delicious chocolate-almond ice cream. MMM, it's very nummy and definitely takes my craving for sweets away.

I tried baking some oatmeal, carob, stevia cookies the other day. They weren't bad, but they took forever to bake.
#14 Old 04-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the praise on the recipe. i love making that recipe. I love eating it as well!!! But that would be my advice, to try and find a recipe for sweet things such as cookies made w/o refined sugar or any other easily stored sweet recipe. My quinoa idea is a great thing to eat, but it doesn't store very well, so if anyone can make sugar-free sweet cookies, post the recipe for those of you who aren't into sugar.
#15 Old 04-08-2003, 01:27 PM

I have been looking for some good Quinoa recipes
#16 Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat way to much fruit, but I guess it's better than sugar.
#17 Old 04-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat a lot of fruit too keegan. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's a much healthier sugary snack than candy or cookies. I love fruit!!!

A couple days ago I ate quinoa(a box mix of quinoa blend, actually) for the first time and I burned my mouth really bad and it still hurts sometimes! It was really good though!
#18 Old 04-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Keegan, you don't eat way too much anything. You can never have too much fruit.

I eat a lot of sugar. Today's eating involved chocolate and ice-cream. Not very healthy, I know, but you'll see me counting calories and dismissing foods because of their calorific content at precisely the same time that satan installs an ice rink into hell.
#19 Old 04-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

You can never have too much fruit.

I heard that too much fruit gives you diarhea(sp?) So you can have too much fruit, but it's not that bad if you do because fruit is good and I love fruit.
#20 Old 04-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

You can get the sh*ts from eating a lot of fruit, but otherwise, fruit is Ok for you. Eat a lot! Plenty of vitamin C, a lot of fibre, and it tastes great!!!
#21 Old 04-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

Keegan, you don't eat way too much anything. You can never have too much fruit.

I eat a lot of sugar. Today's eating involved chocolate and ice-cream. Not very healthy, I know, but you'll see me counting calories and dismissing foods because of their calorific content at precisely the same time that satan installs an ice rink into hell.

If I'm not mistaken...I think I saw a flyer the other day advertising a hellish type of ice rink...
#22 Old 04-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned

I don't eat refined sugar. It's nuritionally sucky and worthless and piontless, it gives me headaches, and tastes truly disgusting to me. I really can't explain the flavor of foods that have refined sugar. It's just...bleh. If it was a sound, it would be the highest-pitched scream you can possibly imagine. Don't ask, but that's what I think of when I eat/ate something with refined sugar. I know, it's a weird thought process, and I truly can't explain it. Ick, ick, ick for refined sugar. Plus, the whole bone char thing--ick.

Instead, I like to use maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, and brown rice syrup, that stuff, or other natural sweeteners. To me, the stuff tastes 100,000,000,000x better. And I'm happy with that.

Cassie
#23 Old 04-13-2003, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone else use stevia??
#24 Old 04-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i try to avoid sugar but sometimes it slips! Loki, where can I find quinoa?! I have been on a search for it in the supermarket, but I didn't find anything...

lovenlight,

linz
#25 Old 04-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmkay. I NEED soda pop. The end. If I don't get enough useless sugar calories, I can't think straight. I can't function. I get dizzy. Refined sugar is part of my balanced, nutritious diet and keeps me alive.

Vitamin O: Orange Slice. Good for the brain when writing history papers.
#26 Old 04-13-2003, 06:31 PM

I gave up my two cokes a day habit about two years ago, and I feel much better for it! It's Liquid candy, addictive, and oh so bad for your teeth. I do have a big sweet tooth, so I eat more sugary treats than I really should, but giving up soda was VERY difficult. I still crave coke with certain foods.
#27 Old 04-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yer.. You can't have pizza without soda. Just isn't natural. (Am I starting a fight? The Healthy Ones against Allison the Trashy Food Fiend. Hehe.)
#28 Old 04-13-2003, 06:42 PM

I know what you mean Charity, my coke with pizza cravings have never gone away in two years!! The stuff is like crack, I tell you.
#29 Old 04-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It *is* crack. Or, was...
#30 Old 04-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I think too much sugar is not good for you. Also it rots your teeth. I dont really know a way for you to cut down on how much sugar you eat except to say substitute the sugary foods for something less sugery. Yes I know that was some lame advice but all i could come up with lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page