New High Protein/Low Carb Vegan weight loss program - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I normally would not post something like this on here because I don't want to be an annoying sales girl, but it seems like there has been quite a few posts on high protein/low carb diets recently.

Arbonne International has just launched their new weight loss program called Figure 8. It is a low carb & high protein program that is vegan. There's no artificial colors, sweeteners, or flavors. The protein source is yellow peas (not soy). It completely fits in with the way that I eat I'm really excited to give it a try. (my husband is too!) I'm working on my website today to add more info on the program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 PM

Neato!
#3 Old 01-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

hmmmm...call me a party pooper, but I'm a bit skeptical.

wouldn't peas have too many carbs to induce ketosis, the crucial physiological process underlying atkins?

a vegan atkins is possible...if you eat tofu or tempeh for every meal.

ebola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

a vegan atkins is possible...if you eat tofu or tempeh for every meal.

ebola

The vegan society has warned people for atkins.

Atkins can be dangerous and is based on mistakes or doubtfull research.
#5 Old 01-05-2004, 07:31 AM

I have read that golden pea protein is a great, allergen-free source of protein. It's good for many people who have soy and wheat allergies.
#6 Old 01-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, this weight loss program doesn't claim to be part of the Aitkins program. I don't know that I'd support it and sell it if that was the case. I don't think Atkins is a healthy program.

Arbonne's program is perfect for veg*ns wanting to boost their protein intake without forever adding more soy to their diet. Extra protein is a good thing if you are wanting to manage or lose weight.
#7 Old 01-05-2004, 09:56 AM

I checked out the info on the products on the website, Sallyk. These products look great. I like the fact that they are using stevia and lo han as sweeteners, and that it's not another soy product. I probably wouldn't use the chews myself, because they have stimulants in them, but some people like that added kick while dieting.
#8 Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

ooh! i'm excited! protein = happy jen. can't wait!
#9 Old 01-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

But don't you guy think regular HFS soy protein powder, flax seeds meal, psyllium powder, soy flour etc. WAY cheaper alternatives ? I say stay away from any kind of "chews".....I still think their products are overly priced HFS staples

Ahhhh don't get me wrong, protein and fiber are cool stuff.
#10 Old 01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Do they have any stats to back up their weight loss claims? How many calories a day does a person consume on this program? How much does it cost, per week, in total, to use all the recommended products and supplements?

How do people on this program fare after losing the weight? Do you have to continue using their products for the rest of your life to keep the weight off? What is the success rate after a year of losing weight on the Figure 8 program? How about two years? Five?
#11 Old 01-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

Do they have any stats to back up their weight loss claims? How many calories a day does a person consume on this program? How much does it cost, per week, in total, to use all the recommended products and supplements?

How do people on this program fare after losing the weight? Do you have to continue using their products for the rest of your life to keep the weight off? What is the success rate after a year of losing weight on the Figure 8 program? How about two years? Five?

Well I think you have asked all the questions I was going to ask, plus some I hadn't thought of!
#12 Old 01-05-2004, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

But don't you guy think regular HFS soy protein powder, flax seeds meal, psyllium powder, soy flour etc. WAY cheaper alternatives ? I say stay away from any kind of "chews".....I still think their products are overly priced HFS staples

The only reason why I like the idea of the powder, personally, is because I like to use protein powder in my smoothies, but I'm trying not to get so much soy in an isolated form. Rice protein is a bit gritty, so hopefully the pea protein will be better. I'm definately not on a low carb diet, but I like the convenience of having a smoothie with 16 or so grams of protein without added sugars or too many calories.
#13 Old 01-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

Well, I don't know the answers to these good questions yet. The product was just launched on January 1st - just 5 days ago. I don't know how long they were tested before they put them on the market. I will find this info out soon. I have a meeting about it on Monday the 12th. In the meantime, I will start digging around. Keep posting more questions if you have them. I hate being a clueless salesperson!
#14 Old 01-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

Arbonne International is certainly not trying to compete with HFS. My typical client is not one who already shops at a HFS. Most of the time it's someone who doesn't know exactly how to begin or what to look for when starting to live a healthier lifestyle. Often times it's someone who is perfectly happy using drugstore cosmetics (or what have you) that's filled with stuff that's not good for you (or animals).

Also, my clients like the idea of working directly with me (independent consultant) rather than wandering into a HFS and sorting through all the stuff that's very foreign to them.

But you're a very savvy HFS shopper, so you probably don't need me
#15 Old 01-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i like kreelis questions---as always!!!

one thing that bugs me is that it seems like a high protein diet. high protein diets, can wreak havoc with your system. it is hard for the body to digest too much protein. in the western society you would be hard pressed to find a doc that knows the signs of too much protein. just doesnt happen. even in a veg diet--plenty of protein sources. people can and do lose weight on a high protein/limiting carb diet--as they can on any diet. by definition- a diet is all food consumed--we are all on a diet. to lose weight you need to expend more calories than you consume. period. if i need to eat 1500 cals to maintain my current weight it does not matter if i eat these calories from bread or veg protein. if i exceed what i need to maintain--i will gain weight--if i go under--i will lose weight. i see my mother in law weigh herself in the a. m. somedays and in the p.m. somedays. IT MATTERS. you need to be consistent when you weigh. if i know i have eaten a pound of food before weighing, you better believe that pound counts when i step on the scale. i also see people on high protein diets getting excited about weight loss. when you arent giving your body the good carbs from whole grain and fruits and veggies in the quantity that it needs, you lose the water that all those foods have/hold--ergo, you lose weight. i dunno--just thoughts from my research/personal knowledge. not meaning to offend. and i would place a smiley here to let you all know that, but i cannot access smilies now!!!

anyway--good luck!!

and, of course feel free to comment on my ramblings!!
#16 Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Question: are there any high protein, low carb vegan diets that DON'T require spending exorbitant amounts of money over the long term on meal replacement shakes and bars and powders? It seems like the only effective weight loss program is one you can stick with for the rest of your life, and somehow drinking two out of every three meals a day doesn't strike me as sustainable. I am very intrigued by the idea of a high protein diet...just not if I have to give up solid food to have one.

~Mollie~
#17 Old 01-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I ordered one can of the chocolate protein shake today. I'm sure the program would work great if I followed it 100% but I'm not that disciplined so I'm going to start with just the shake and see how it goes. The plan is to have one shake per day plus a healthy breakfast and a healthy dinner. (Which I already do anyway.) My husband is thrilled with this idea because on his work schedule, he hardly eats and that's definitely not conducive to weight loss. When he does eat at work, it's fast food.

My cost for a can is about $12. I am fortunate that I can afford that. If I were paying full price, it would be another story.

I am considering offering a special VB client discount on this if there's enough interest.
#18 Old 01-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

well, no offense meant to sally, but honestly, for me to ever want to try another diet where i shell out hundreds of dollars for specialty dieting "aids", i want some pretty hard statistics i can refer to, as well as a money back guarantee.
#19 Old 01-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Kreeli, I don't blame you! I am trying this simply because it's a product that I have to learn how to sell because it's my job. Normally I'd be perfectly happy just counting calories, etc. But it's pretty new and exciting to think about the possible market I could have with my current clients IRL. Think of all the animals I could save!

Oh, and Arbonne always has and always will have a 45 day money back return policy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page