Obesity responsible for 100,000 cancer cases annually - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
(CNN) -- More than 100,000 cases of cancer each year are caused by excess body fat, according to a report released Thursday in Washington.



Researchers with the American Institute for Cancer Research looked at seven cancers with known links to obesity and calculated actual case counts that were likely to have been caused by obesity.



Specifically, the report says that 49 percent of endometrial cancers are caused by excess body fat. That number is followed by 35 percent of esophageal cancer cases; 28 percent of pancreatic cancer cases; 24 percent of kidney cancer cases; 21 percent of gallbladder cancer cases; 17 percent of breast cancer cases; and 9 percent of colorectal cancer cases.



http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/1...ink/index.html

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,981
Is obesity a form of slow suicide?
MrFalafel is offline  
#3 Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Is obesity a form of slow suicide?



Is eating meat a form of slow suicide?

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
Depends on the reason for being obese.
das_nut is offline  
#5 Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mufflon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Specifically, the report says that 49 percent of endometrial cancers are caused by excess body fat. That number is followed by 35 percent of esophageal cancer cases; 28 percent of pancreatic cancer cases; 24 percent of kidney cancer cases; 21 percent of gallbladder cancer cases; 17 percent of breast cancer cases; and 9 percent of colorectal cancer cases.

So...



51% of people suffering endometrial cancer are not obese.

65% of people suffering esophageal cancer are not obese.

72% of people suffering pancreatic cancer are not obese.

76% of people suffering kidney cancer cancer are not obese.

79% of people suffering gallbladder cancer are not obese.

83% of people suffering breast cancer are not obese.

91% of people suffering colorectal cancer are not obese.



Sounds more like being not obese is the risk factor...



(Yes, yes... I know... dear statistic freaks, please spare me your song. I'm not serious about this.)
Mufflon is offline  
#6 Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
A newspaper reporter would have drawn a conclusion that obesity prevents cancer.
das_nut is offline  
#7 Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Newbie
 
nikki_jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
I have problems with how publicised american obsesity is.

Obesity can also be because of a serious eating disorder. But no one ever wants to hear about that. It's always about dumb, lazy people that don't know how to take care of themselves.

And other eating disorders are serious, albeit less prominent, problems as well. There is so little coverage on the mental health side of this, everything is so one sided, no one cares to know the truth or how they can help. It's always either laughing at or pitying the sad idiot that never learned about counting calories.
nikki_jo is offline  
#8 Old 11-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
All I got from this article was:



BLAH BLAH BLAH
Quote:
Although there is no concrete science on why obesity increases a person's risk for cancer

BLAH BLAH BLAH



I understand obesity is a major issue in the U.S., but I am more inclined to believe that environmental pollutants are the cause of our skyrocketing cancer rates and mutating DNA, not obesity. I think the statistics are naturally skewed just because Americans are a bunch of fatties. I don't think they can honestly say that obesity is responsible for 100,000 cases of cancer annually when they can't even prove that obesity increases a person's risk of cancer...



Americans need to slim down for their own sakes, but I hate scare tactics in the media almost as much as I hate industry-driven scientific studies with an agenda.
Kellye is offline  
#9 Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
Checkmass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

All I got from this article was:



BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH



I understand obesity is a major issue in the U.S., but I am more inclined to believe that environmental pollutants are the cause of our skyrocketing cancer rates and mutating DNA, not obesity. I think the statistics are naturally skewed just because Americans are a bunch of fatties. I don't think they can honestly say that obesity is responsible for 100,000 cases of cancer annually when they can't even prove that obesity increases a person's risk of cancer...



Americans need to slim down for their own sakes, but I hate scare tactics in the media almost as much as I hate industry-driven scientific studies with an agenda.





I second that.
Checkmass is offline  
#10 Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Teresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,222
Kill me now I guess. I have always comforted myself with food. Since I was a small child. I grew up in a very volatile home. I think of and battle my weight every day. Not a day goes by that it is not an issue for me. I kicked cigarettes at 25. I'd quit smoking a thousand times over. It's that much easier than losing weight.



I battled it today. I'll battle it tomorrow. And I'm still determined I'm going to win.
Teresa is offline  
#11 Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Newbie
 
nikki_jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Kill me now I guess. I have always comforted myself with food. Since I was a small child. I grew up in a very volatile home. I think of and battle my weight every day. Not a day goes by that it is not an issue for me. I kicked cigarettes at 25. I'd quit smoking a thousand times over. It's that much easier than losing weight.



I battled it today. I'll battle it tomorrow. And I'm still determined I'm going to win.



Exactly my point...
nikki_jo is offline  
#12 Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Newbie
 
nikki_jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Kill me now I guess. I have always comforted myself with food. Since I was a small child. I grew up in a very volatile home. I think of and battle my weight every day. Not a day goes by that it is not an issue for me. I kicked cigarettes at 25. I'd quit smoking a thousand times over. It's that much easier than losing weight.



I battled it today. I'll battle it tomorrow. And I'm still determined I'm going to win.



exactly my point...
nikki_jo is offline  
#13 Old 11-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
beatricious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,904
Yeah, I think this article is a bit confusing and badly reported. 49% of cancers are "caused" by excess body fat? How did they determine that excess body fat is the only cause? "Actual case counts that were likely to have been caused by obesity." Ok, so does that mean they just counted how many cancer patients were obese, and assumed that obesity was a cause? I'd like to see the actual methods they used before jumping to any conclusions.



What concerns me most about articles like this is that they put the sole focus on weight, and not on healthy living. You can see this in the doctor's quote at the end:



Quote:
The bottom line for people concerned about this issue is to try to balance the calories you take in with those your body expends every day.



I mean, we all know people who live terribly unhealthy lifestyles and yet stay within the so-called "normal" ranges on the BMI. But apparently they're not at risk for anything, just because they're not overweight? Ridiculous.
beatricious is offline  
#14 Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mufflon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_jo View Post

I have problems with how publicised american obsesity is.

Obesity can also be because of a serious eating disorder. But no one ever wants to hear about that. It's always about dumb, lazy people that don't know how to take care of themselves.

And other eating disorders are serious, albeit less prominent, problems as well. There is so little coverage on the mental health side of this, everything is so one sided, no one cares to know the truth or how they can help. It's always either laughing at or pitying the sad idiot that never learned about counting calories.

This. It's so much more compliacted than "just eat less and move more" but too many people are too dense in their heads to realise that.
Mufflon is offline  
#15 Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mufflon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

All I got from this article was:



BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH



I understand obesity is a major issue in the U.S., but I am more inclined to believe that environmental pollutants are the cause of our skyrocketing cancer rates and mutating DNA, not obesity. I think the statistics are naturally skewed just because Americans are a bunch of fatties. I don't think they can honestly say that obesity is responsible for 100,000 cases of cancer annually when they can't even prove that obesity increases a person's risk of cancer...

Haha, so true. However, too many people will get the take-home-message that obesity is the main risk for cancer.
Mufflon is offline  
#16 Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
If people actually believe this, then great. Hopefully they will start to eat less which will be less animals killed, and less of a drain on this already stretched planet.
stanie is offline  
#17 Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

If people actually believe this, then great. Hopefully they will start to eat less which will be less animals killed, and less of a drain on this already stretched planet.



What about obese vegans? There are plenty out there.



Inaccurate reporting and misleading "science" are very dangerous.
Earthling is offline  
#18 Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Beginner
 
inkie51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 103
inkie51 is offline  
#19 Old 11-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
sosoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 637
Yeah, not sure what to make of it. They probably use the same techniques that determined cigarette smoking "causes" cancer. So yeah, being a person who eats in a way that makes them fat increases their cancer risk. Is it the being fat part that increases cancer risk, or the eating of empty calories that both makes you fat and increases cancer risk? Or some physiological condition that both makes you eat more empty calories and increases cancer risk. Or ... Who knows.
sosoy is offline  
#20 Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Baby Love
 
Jinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,812
I'm not really sure why this is news. It seems pretty straight foward that having very excessive body fat and excess body weight would put a large strain on the body and increase your risks of hormonal issues and other inbalances that could leave you succeptible to disease. If someone also excessively overeats, it also seems to make sense that this would put extra strain on the body both in processing the food and having to deal with all the junk leftover.
Jinga is offline  
#21 Old 11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mufflon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

If people actually believe this, then great. Hopefully they will start to eat less which will be less animals killed, and less of a drain on this already stretched planet.

q. e. d.
Mufflon is offline  
#22 Old 11-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mufflon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

What about obese vegans? There are plenty out there.

They don't count, I guess? Or maybe real vegans aren't obese or something? I'm sure someone will come up with an explanation soon.



Quote:
Inaccurate reporting and misleading "science" are very dangerous.

True. But there will again always be people who are too dense in their heads to get that.
Mufflon is offline  
#23 Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Kibbleforlola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I'm not really sure why this is news. It seems pretty straight foward that having very excessive body fat and excess body weight would put a large strain on the body and increase your risks of hormonal issues and other inbalances that could leave you succeptible to disease. If someone also excessively overeats, it also seems to make sense that this would put extra strain on the body both in processing the food and having to deal with all the junk leftover.



Except, alot of the time, obesity is a symptom of the hormonal issues, and not the other way around.



Also, correlation is not causation.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
Kibbleforlola is offline  
#24 Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mufflon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Also, correlation is not causation.

True. And I wish at least all medical professionals would get that.



Plus, not everything that seems so "straight forward" at first glance turns out to actually be that way.
Mufflon is offline  
#25 Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Is obesity a form of slow suicide?



All obese people die so... omg it must be!
Earthling is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off