My Fainting Adventure - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Seven days ago I got out of bed, went into the bathroom, and blacked out cold on the bathroom floor. My ears were ringing and my vision was clouding over prior to this, but I remember nothing else.

My bf opened the door to find me stumbling around, out of sorts, and it's a good thing he caught me before I hit something and hurt myself.

I was taken right away to the doctor's, where I had an EKG, a neurological exam, a urine test, and a blood test. Everything looked fine on the immediate tests. Yesterday, however, I got back my bloodwork results.

I imagined that I had a vitamin deficiency, perhaps iron, and I supposed it could be corrected easily. But no. My vitamin levels are OK. Instead, they found my blood sugar level was below normal and my white blood cell count is elevated. They want me to come in next week for more blood tests.

Needless to say, this has been on my mind and does have me concerened. Has anyone had a similar experience?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. Regularly, but only when I used to fast. I'd black out all over the place, nearly always after getting out of bed or standing up after sitting down for a long time.

It's why I bought a blood sugar monitor to monitor myself when I fasted.
#3 Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Seven days ago I got out of bed, went into the bathroom, and blacked out cold on the bathroom floor. My ears were ringing and my vision was clouding over prior to this, but I remember nothing else.

I have a few times, usually after getting up too quickly from bed or sitting down. Blood rushes out of your head, boom, you're on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-22-2009, 04:16 PM

like the others, i get big 'head rushes' when i stand up too quick. some days i have none, and some days i get it 5 - 8 times a day. Usually i feel it coming and i grab on to something to keep from falling. i've been to my doc, had tests and ekg's which came back fine... i cant remember if he did blood work though for that specifically. they took my blood pressure laying down, and up, and my levels drop quite a bit when i first stand up. he told me this is diagnosed as 'postural hypertension'. the resolve, get up slower .

i do notice it worse on days when i may have not eaten quite enough, or over exercised.
#5 Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I've had similar experiences as well. My blood sugar tends to get low also so I carry around some sort of drink (like OJ) and snacks in case I need a quick boost. Also I hope that you are definetly going to follow up with the dr and get more tests done. I think it's really important that they recheck your white blood cell count and keep an eye on it.
#6 Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the replies. Since the incident I have been carrying around healthy snacks, such as cut-up fruit, to munch on between meals. One of my problems could be I'm simply not eating enough during the day. On a normal weekday, I'll eat a (very light) breakfast at 7 AM and won't eat again until 1 PM. So I'm trying to make better choices to keep my blood sugar level.

Also, yes, I will visit the dr. next week to get more bloodwork done. My white blood cells aren't off the charts or anything, but they're elevated enough to raise concern.

I've been doing some reseach online, and it said extreme stress can actually elevate WBC levels. I've been under a great deal of stress in the past few weeks (I bought a house, my cat had a serious emergency illness, and I was in a car accident, among other general stresses)--so that would definately make sense.

#7 Old 10-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Glad to hear that you are carrying around snacks more, trying to eat better and going back to the drs. That's a long period of time to go without eating! It does sound like you have a lot to deal with right now. Just try to think of the positive aspects of your situations. You have a new house, that's awesome, congrats!! And you're okay after the car accident (I hope). Your kittie is doing better now?? Try to take care of yourself
#8 Old 10-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you. Yes, neither of us were hurt in the accident--just the car. It had to have some rather extensive repairs, but now you cannot tell it was in a crash.

The cat's doing better now, too. He had a partially blocked urinary tract, but after an emergency urine extraction and a round of medication, he seems to be his old self again. The vet thought it could've been because he doesn't like to drink enough water--so now I'm the Water Cop...he gets canned food twice a day, I've put out another water bowl, and I'm giving water-packed tuna as a treat. And of course, I now praise him whenever I see him drink.

So hopefully, the worst of my problems are behind me, and I can concentrate on getting better. Thanks for your concern. :-)

#9 Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Whoa. The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I got out of bed to pee, and blacked out on the floor. I think I had just gotten up too fast. Weird that it happened in the same place though.
#10 Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM

It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread but the same thing just happened to me earlier. I got up to reset my router and just collapsed on my bedroom floor and lost vision. I had eaten breakfast only an hour before that. Banana and some Kashi cereal with Rice/Soy blend. After word, I just went to grab an orange and then I made myself lunch. I attribute it to getting up to quick and your blood is just wooshing around in you, but just to be safe, I'll probably start eating more. I've been told I don't eat enough.

Flowing with the groove of life... ya dig?
#11 Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to have this problem, and i think it was because of blood sugar. I usually fainted when i was hungry or hadnt eaten in a while. Now i find that if i eat before i get to the woozy point, i dont faint.
#12 Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

How did I miss this thread? Back in early December, I fainted in the post office after waiting in line for what seemed long a long time. I hadn't eaten yet that day. Like the OP, my vision clouded over. I was also extremely hot since I was wearing several layers of clothing and it was warm inside the PO, but for some reason I didn't take off my jacket or anything. I fell to the floor but didn't pass out right away, although I felt like I would. After I got to the window, that's when I blacked out. The paramedics were called, they said go to the hospital, but instead I just went home because I was already feeling better. Needless to say, the minute I got home I had something to eat and I felt even better. So the moral of the story I guess is that I shouldn't have gone out to run errands without eating something first.

I mentioned this to my sister an hour after it happened, and she said that if I stand too long without bending my knees, my blood pressure drops and that's why I fainted.

When I saw my thyroid doctor a couple of weeks ago, I told her about this incident, and she said that a person generally doesn't black out when their blood pressure drops, and I should tell my regular doctor. She said I might be going into atrial fibrillation.

So I don't know if it was simply a case of low blood sugar or something more serious. I'd had this experience before of my vision clouding over and feeling like I was going to faint, but that day in the PO was the first time I actually did faint.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

This happens to me all the time when stand up too fast and start walking. Everything will go completely black and I'll wobble. The last time, I nearly fell over a coffee table. Sometimes I make it a few steps and catch myself on the wall or couch or even on the way up the stairs. I've never passed completely out, everything comes back after a few seconds.
#14 Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Beginner

This happened to me about 2 years ago. I was sick with a cold, woke up and thought I was going to vomit. I jumped out of bed, and the next thing I know, all the lights are on in the house, i'm on the floor (i look up to see the bed above me), and wife is on the phone with 911!!! Turns out I was just dehydrated and getting up that quick allows all the blood to leave your brain and you faint.

Either way, if it happens, a trip to the doctor is not a bad thing.
#15 Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Yep. Regularly, but only when I used to fast. I'd black out all over the place, nearly always after getting out of bed or standing up after sitting down for a long time.

It's why I bought a blood sugar monitor to monitor myself when I fasted.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just stop fasting and then you probably won't black out.

m8itcanw8.com
#16 Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow the frequent-ness of this incident surprises me, just by reading the above posts by other people and the OP. This has never happened to me, I've never ever blacked out, but I have to admit (not trying to be weird) I've always wondered what its like, must be scary though. The only time I've felt close to passing out was when I was working out once and I got off the machine and I was walking to the water fountain and suddenly felt extremely nauseous and dizzy. I thought I was going to puke and pass out right there but I sat down for a couple minutes with my eyes closed breathing and I recovered enough to make it back to my room. Anyway, I hope you're ok!
#17 Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Check out "Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome" (POTS for short).

Here's the Wikipedia page to get your started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postura...ardia_syndrome

Also, low blood pressure can sometimes cause fainting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page