Soy Makes Hormones Go Crazy (?) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Over the last couple of months I been eating a lot of soy-based products. Coincedentally (?) over the last few months my face has also broken out pretty badly. I have also been feeling unusually anxious and high-strung. I stopped eating anything with soy in it three days ago and I woke up this morning for the first time in months without a single new zit. I also feel calmer. I will not eat soy for the next week or so and see if my face clears up more. There is definitely a link to soy and estrogen, usually it is portrayed as a postive link -- treating menopause symptoms and evening out your hormones. Could it ever be negative? If I can't eat soy I'm VERY daunted by the idea of being vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2003, 04:20 PM

you may have an allergy to it.
#3 Old 12-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be a sensitivity rather than an allergy, but yeah, possibly. Honestly how many soy-sensitive vegans are there out there? Sounds tough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-14-2003, 08:09 PM

Oh man, the thought of being allergic to soy or wheat .... *Shudders*
#5 Old 12-15-2003, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Moving this to "Healthy Living".

FWIW, I'm vegan and I happen to eat almost no soy products - no tofu, no soymilk, no etc. I eat no soy on a regular basis... Very occasionally I eat some edamame. I have nothing against soy, it's just not my favorite food.

I don't have any problems... why is veganism without soy daunting to you? If you eat a somewhat balanced and varied diet, then you get ample protein.
#6 Old 12-15-2003, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Like Kristadb said, you may have an allergy/sensitivity to it. That would be the bad news. The good news, is that soy is not the ONLY source of nutrients existing. There are loads other ways of getting all the nutrients found in soy from other places. You may have to do a tad more research to make sure you're not missing nutrients but believe me, possibly not being able to do soy is not the end of the world, it may only just feel like it.

And there are lots of veg*ns here that can't/don't do soy for one reason or another. I would like to encourage you to check those threads out to see how others are managing.

One of the ways to make sure, though, is to keep a food journal for about 2 weeks. During that time, write down everything you eat and drink. Take that journal to your doctor/nutritionist/whomever you trust with your health to see if there's any patterns existing in what you eat vs. how you feel. Sometimes, what a person thinks is a trigger food may not be at all and what a person doesn't suspect turns out to be culprit #1. Even if you don't take that journal to a health professional, just reviewing it at the end of 2 weeks may yield some things that could help you later and it might possibly solve your soy troubles.

Good luck to you. Hope this helps.
#7 Old 12-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

NaturalChick, I've had problems with soy. During the summer, I developed an itchy rash on my arms and my period went out of whack. I couldn't think of a cause, so I just figured it was something random that would go away on its own. I didn't really think that it was due to my soy intake, until I came across a photo of the rash that results from a soy allergy. The picture was identical to the rash on my arms. I stopped eating soy products, and everything returned to normal.

Cut to three weeks ago, when I was craving fake meat slices and said, "Hey! Soy, in moderation, shouldn't be a problem." Oh, if only. Every morning after I started eating the slices, I'd wake up to a new zit and strange little lumps (not zits waiting to happen, just lumps - like when a mosquito bites you) on my face. I stopped eating the soy products and, again, everything cleared up.

It sucks that I can't eat soy without running into problems, but it's not the end of the world. There are a lot of other options.

I hope everything works out. Keep us posted on the results of your soy-free week.
#8 Old 12-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

it's kinda weird, but i haven't had soy in a long time--perhaps a month or more. Anyway, i agree that it is probably an allergu os sensitivity.

i believe that joanne stepienak has a cookbook for soy sensitive vegans. she may be soy sensitive herself--i don't recall. anyway, it's not impossible.
#9 Old 12-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone for the encouragement that it's possible to be a vegan without soy! My face is less red/blotchy then it was and I have gotten one new zit since the experiment began (before I was getting a couple new ones a day).

It hasn't been going terribly great though because I've had some dairy products in the meantime. Don't yell at me! I'm just trying to figure all this out.
#10 Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 PM

My aunt is 50-ish and she started having periods again after eating soya nuts and soy crisps snacks. It didn't take very much to do that, actually. Apparently, some people are very sensitive to whatever hormone-related effects soy can have....

couldn't be worse the the antibiotics and hormones in cow meat! That's all I could say, anyway.

If you don't already, try peanut and almond butters and stuff like that to get your protein. That seems to work well and what better excuse for vegan PB&J!

Hope you figure it all out!~ HUGS!
#11 Old 12-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i've been eating less soy and my skin has been getting worse (but i don't think there's a causal relationship).
#12 Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 PM

Holy ancient threads, Batman!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page