Anyone tried LED lights yet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Banned

I just got some LED bulbs yesterday to replace the burned out CFL bulbs in some of our fixtures...I love them! The ones I got were for accent lighting (dim lights) so they're not very bright but the quality, IMO, is excellent. I'm going back today to get some to replace the burned out bulbs in some of the main fixtures we have so then I'll be able to say how I like them when it comes to quality of lighting when it comes to main lighting.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had gotten a chance to use these yet. The price is really beginning to come down! I paid $5 each for the accent lights and the brighter ones (that equal about a 45 watt bulb) were only $7 each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

wow- thats cheap!

we haven't yet, but we're planning to switch over to those when the CFLs die.
#3 Old 05-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, leds are cool, but I've only tried them as a replacement for the normal bulb in a Maglite Mini. Left the thing on for 15 days straight on two AA Duracels, and the thing still shines! Very energy efficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

wow- thats cheap!

we haven't yet, but we're planning to switch over to those when the CFLs die.

Yea I was surprised at the cost, I keep hearing they're "really pricey" but the price they are now are the same price as CFLs were just last year...and still worth the cost due to the savings on the electric bill!
#5 Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I know that if I manage to build the house I basically would like to have -- it'd use LED lights -- but that's also because I've seen they run off of DC or AC - and I'd plan on using wind turbines and solar panels with battery storage (so they could possibly be even more energy efficient).
#6 Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm keen on getting rid of CFL's as well (Mercury), but the LED's I've come across are all considerably more expensive. I haven't weighed initial cost vs. longterm usage yet though.. hmmm..

I did get an LED fridge light, and wouldn't you know, it died after about a month.. bad luck.
#7 Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been looking for LEDs here, but they haven't quite found their spot on the shelves yet.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#8 Old 05-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Just so everyone knows, they had them at the Sams Club here. I usually avoid Wal-mart and wal-mart associated stores like the plague but we had a family member pay for us to have a membership there for two years so we use it now and again, and they just happened to have them. $15 for a 3 pack of the accent lights (probably a 30 watt bulb if you compare to incandescent) or $15 for 2 for a 45 watt (Incandescent)
#9 Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

I know that if I manage to build the house I basically would like to have -- it'd use LED lights -- but that's also because I've seen they run off of DC or AC - and I'd plan on using wind turbines and solar panels with battery storage (so they could possibly be even more energy efficient).

i'd also really love to get off the grid, as i've got plenty of land for solar, and plenty of sun. unfortunately, it's just not a realistic alternative at this point.

we're going to have to wait for improvements in thin film solar and also batteries to make this practical. great things are happening in research, but nothing that will be a real game changer has come to market yet.
#10 Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

That's a goal of mine as well, or at the least, to augment with my own power. But you're right, it's a cost issue. They offer credits in the form of tax breaks and rebates in my area, but the ROI is still at least 10-15 years.. Considering average home ownership length is what, 5-7 years, that's not going to entice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i'd also really love to get off the grid, as i've got plenty of land for solar, and plenty of sun. unfortunately, it's just not a realistic alternative at this point.

we're going to have to wait for improvements in thin film solar and also batteries to make this practical. great things are happening in research, but nothing that will be a real game changer has come to market yet.

#11 Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my thing wasn't to be completely off the grid (yet), just it makes more sense to use the power as-is than to convert from DC to AC for a 40 foot run of wire to be converted from AC to DC so it can be used. You end up wasting electricity/generating heat for no good reason especially if a DC variant exists for the device.

Of course you still have to have the right number of volts and such... but as RV's run off batteries (some at least apparently) or AC electricity -- it should be available and easy to find tech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page