Bottled water? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Just came across this article... http://www.emagazine.com/september-o...0903feat1.html

Quote:
The message is clear: Bottled water is good water, as opposed to that nasty, unsafe stuff that comes out of the tap. But in most cases tap water adheres to stricter purity standards than bottled water, whose sourcefar from a mountain springcan be wells underneath industrial facilities. Indeed, 40 percent of bottled water began life as, well, tap water.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Banned

There's a place near here where, for 20 cents per litre, you can get bottles filled with spring water. It's at the actual source (in remote bushland) so you can see what is going on. They also have 10 litre bottles of water for $2 (less than half the price of the mass-marketed stuff).
#3 Old 09-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I just read an article on that...and was about to post it. It was in the hartford advocate... I will try to find it and link it...it was very interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I moved this bc I wasn't sure where to post it at first, and now I think it is best in environmental issues.
#5 Old 09-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I drink bottled water (big refillables from Deep Rock) because tap water, a least where I live, has a slightly bad taste and bottled does not.
#6 Old 09-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

They are pretty lax on regulating bottled water, so sometimes your tap water might be safer, as the article stated. The sources of bottled water may be misleading and not as pristine as they appear to be. As for tap water, there are expensive filters you can put in your house to filter all your water in your house.

I actually just tested my tap water at home with a cheap home test. It passed the two tests I was curious about (pesticides, lead) but the test strip wasn't as obvious as I would have liked on the pesticides.

I myself am drinking distilled water. We also have a reverse osmosis water filter for our fish, they love it. If anyone heard distilled water is harmful, I just went into this debate on another board, so I can post helpful links to set your mind at ease.

We get the 5 gallon water jugs, and I fill a Thermos full for my husband so he can have cold, distilled water at work, and I myself drink out of my sports bottles. The picture of the 9 out of 10 water bottles piling up as garbage taking 1000 years to biodegrade makes me very sad.

Thanks for sharing this article, I'm always interested in learning more about water.
#7 Old 09-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I don´t mind drinking bottled water though I usually don´t have to. Here in Europe bottled water is transported over long distances. You always could rely on local springs with good water and it annoys me that people don´t think before ordering French water in Spain, German water in Norway, or Italian water in Germany.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 09-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Beginner

In a similar vein, bottled water can be deterimental to the local people and environment.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16044
#9 Old 09-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekyn View Post

In a similar vein, bottled water can be deterimental to the local people and environment.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16044

Thanks for the link, draekyn. This article sounds like a bad joke!!! I'm sure Nestle paid way more than the 100$ fee. Probably some millions to Gov. John Engler.
#10 Old 09-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

I don´t mind drinking bottled water though I usually don´t have to. Here in Europe bottled water is transported over long distances. You always could rely on local springs with good water and it annoys me that people don´t think before ordering French water in Spain, German water in Norway, or Italian water in Germany.

ops: When I am in the US I buy German mineral water. But just because I can't find a single American brand, and can only pick between Gerolsteiner, Perrier and San Pelegrino. I only buy it when I feel like I desperately need something good and healthy, though, and mineral water also seems to be the only water sold in glass bottles over there.

At least in Germany I buy mineral water that comes from close-by sources.
#11 Old 09-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

In my dorm, the water is like 25% iron and calcium at least. It's so gross and it smells, but we got one of those Brita filters and it is a miracle worker! The water tastes great, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying bottled all of the time.
#12 Old 09-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doola View Post

... Gerolsteiner, ...

At least in Germany I buy mineral water that comes from close-by sources.

In Gerolstein you can drink as many water as you like or fill in bottles. They have a free outlet for the public. I wonder whether this is done in other parts of the world?

#13 Old 09-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In Gerolstein you can drink as many water as you like or fill in bottles. They have a free outlet for the public. I wonder whether this is done in other parts of the world?

You mean at their plant?! Never heard of any company that would let you do that before.

I live in a town with a dozen different mineral springs, and anybody can come and fill their bottles here in the parc - but the water does not taste good because there are way too many minerals in it.
#14 Old 09-08-2003, 02:25 PM

My job is actually to test drinking and bottled waters for pesticides and herbicides and related compounds. The above is very true. No one at my job wastes their money on bottled water anymore. The bottled water is only tested when it is a new product on the market or if there is a complaint. Every Texas public water system is tested, most twice a year and this composes about 95% of our work, bottled water and things like tortillas, fish and vanilla compose the other 5%. We found some huge contamination in one of the dozen or so bottled water samples we tested last year because the packaging was contaminated. The company was informed, but their product was not forced off the market. The contamination product has been linked to birth defects and cancer. Bottled water companies are heavily regulated within their plants, so they can make claims like "our product is rigorously tested for purity" but their end product is not. If you are spending money on bottled water, make sure it is not because you think it is "safer".
#15 Old 09-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a problem with bottled water, at least here in the US. It's sort of a new phoenomena--those small bottles you buy at the deli--and there used to not be bottled water. I grew up in a place where the water was just fine coming out of the tap, so I always thought it was a waste of money, and bad for the environment for the factories to create the plastic bottles in the first place, then you have to throw them away (when you can't find a place to recycle it).

If you live in a place where the water is nasty, i can see buying water, but as long as I live somewhere where I can drink the tap water, I always try to re-use those plastic bottles as much as possible so keep from creating more ( I do have to buy them from time to time when I'm thirsty, since I don't drink sodas or sugar-filled juice.)

Plastics are bad You should always try to re-use them as much as possible to keep the factories from creating more and damaging the environment.

I knew of a place in northern New Mexico that had a spigget coming out of a mountain where you could get water "clear as a mountain spring". That was cool.
#16 Old 09-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

Plastics are bad You should always try to re-use them as much as possible to keep the factories from creating more and damaging the environment.

I used to do the same thing until I was reminded about how bad plastic bottles actually are for you -have a look at this thread.

WHen I need to buy drinks, I buy glas bottles only, and the water tastes a lot better in them! You can refill those as often as you please!!
#17 Old 09-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You mean at their plant?! Never heard of any company that would let you do that before.

As far as I remember it´s outside of the firm. Maybe the community still retains the rights for the well.

#18 Old 09-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I buy glas bottles only, and the water tastes a lot better in them! You can refill those as often as you please!!

Lots of plastic bottles, even the ones meant for repeted usage, leek out substances, which have estrogenic effects.

#19 Old 09-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As far as I remember it´s outside of the firm. Maybe the community still retains the rights for the well.

Cool, I'll be close to Gerolstein in two weeks and will go and check it out. Thanks for the info.
#20 Old 09-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I´m looking forward to hear about you experience!

#21 Old 09-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been drinking tap water for as long as I can remember. Never had any problems with it. In fact, I think that Bottled Water has a weird taste. I am not used to it, and it does taste different.

As for the bottle thing, I have a couple of Nalgene bottles I keep with me at all times. I just fill them up at the tap when empty and then I never have to buy bottled anything.
#22 Old 09-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodekraft View Post

If you are spending money on bottled water, make sure it is not because you think it is "safer".

i worked at an environmental organization over one summer and i remember there being a very large book that showed the results of testing many different bottled waters. and indeed, the standards are much more lax for bottled water. but if i'm not mistaken, reverse osmosis filtration is a state-of-the-art process that results in the purest water you can find. off the top of my head, i know that coca cola's dasani product is made this way. so while most bottled water isn't necessarily safer, there are certainly products that are.
#23 Old 09-16-2003, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrest View Post

i worked at an environmental organization over one summer and i remember there being a very large book that showed the results of testing many different bottled waters. and indeed, the standards are much more lax for bottled water. but if i'm not mistaken, reverse osmosis filtration is a state-of-the-art process that results in the purest water you can find. off the top of my head, i know that coca cola's dasani product is made this way. so while most bottled water isn't necessarily safer, there are certainly products that are.

The water itself is not necessarily the problem, it is the bottles, plastic or otherwise. The water in our contaminated products may have entered the bottle as fresh as rain water from 1000 ago, but if the bottle is contaminated with chemicals from the production plant, then you are drinking that too. The worst contamination we saw was from a glass bottle where the plastic-lined cap was loaded with a phtalate-(poision!). That end product...what you drink-- is rarely tested and there is no way for the government to force those products off the market even if they were found to be hazardous.
#24 Old 09-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodekraft View Post

The worst contamination we saw was from a glass bottle where the plastic-lined cap was loaded with a phtalate-(poision!). That end product...what you drink-- is rarely tested and there is no way for the government to force those products off the market even if they were found to be hazardous.

WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! Why not?!?!
#25 Old 09-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

As for the bottle thing, I have a couple of Nalgene bottles I keep with me at all times. I just fill them up at the tap when empty and then I never have to buy bottled anything.

Be careful. Are you able to fit a soapy brush of some sort, like a bottle brush to thouroughly clean the insides? My university did an informal test of faculty water in water bottles not cleaned very well. Many of them were completely loaded with germs. Enough to be considered unpotable i.e. not safe to drink.

http://www.wsbtv.com/money/2289339/detail.html (from a different university)
#26 Old 09-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

nalgene bottles tend to have a large opening, big enough to fit a brush in there. They are also dishwasher safe and can be used longer than a person would be alive.
#27 Old 09-17-2003, 08:12 AM

Quote:

WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! Why not?!?!

I just know that when we find contamination products, nothing happens except that the person/company who paid for the testing is notified. And I know that in the past we are asked to "test again" and the water is sometimes sent somewhere else to be tested. The "government" is not "notified" and I've read that the US government simply doesn't have laws on the books for this type of regulation.

Also, I spelled pthalate wrong earlier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page