What’s your level of environmental concern? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What’s your level of environmental concern?
I’m a card carrying member of Earth First! 0 0%
I actively think of ways to minimize my impact on the environment. 0 0%
I have a set group of things I do (e.g. recycling), but don’t go any further. 0 0%
When I have the time I’ll do what I can. 0 0%
It’s just not important enough for me to bother. 0 0%
Global warming is just commie pinko liberal propaganda. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

At my sons day care, there is a women who drops her daughter off and frequently stays to chat with the day care worker for 15 minutes while her car (A large SUV) is running idleId love to say something, but I exercise restraint. Not only is she unnecessarily polluting the air, but shes wasting gas. It amazes me that she doesnt seem to care. Her husband is an officer in the army. Do they get a fuel credit?

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

i really like to do what i can for the environment, but i dont think it has anything to do with global warming. i think global warming is just as made up as the "cancer foundatiion " etc. keeping people with a job, not doing any change. just scaring people into emptying their pockets.
#3 Old 05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to minimize my impact on the environment, however, I don't think environmental change is necessarily a bad thing.

I believe everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

i really like to do what i can for the environment, but i dont think it has anything to do with global warming. i think global warming is just as made up as the "cancer foundatiion " etc. keeping people with a job, not doing any change. just scaring people into emptying their pockets.

I believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth, and has no effect on the climate. In fact the Earth's 'Climate' is controlled by the Mole People and is manipulated to sell their 'ice-cream' and 'winter coats'. The resulting funds will be used to install a Mole Man as supreme ruler of the Earth and Humans will be forced to live underground, harvesting fungus. Let me be the first to welcome our new mole overlords...
#5 Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

I believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth, and has no effect on the climate. In fact the Earth's 'Climate' is controlled by the Mole People and is manipulated to sell their 'ice-cream' and 'winter coats'. The resulting funds will be used to install a Mole Man as supreme ruler of the Earth and Humans will be forced to live underground, harvesting fungus. Let me be the first to welcome our new mole overlords...

#6 Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

At my sons day care, there is a women who drops her daughter off and frequently stays to chat with the day care worker for 15 minutes while her car (A large SUV) is running idleId love to say something, but I exercise restraint. Not only is she unnecessarily polluting the air, but shes wasting gas. It amazes me that she doesnt seem to care. Her husband is an officer in the army. Do they get a fuel credit?

Maybe she has a spare Earth in her trunk.
#7 Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted "I actively think of ways to minimize my impact on the environment" - I try to live the ways I have thought of, too, but do not always succeed, like sometimes I buy things that have a very eco-unfriendly packaging, etc.

I once did a quiz on my eco-footprint and it said sth like "If everyone lived like you do, we would need 1.8 planets"...
#8 Old 05-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

+10
#9 Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Maybe she has a spare Earth in her trunk.

HA!
#10 Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't understand what you mean by, "keeping people with a job, not doing any change" with respect to global warming. Isn't the whole idea of educating people about global warming to encourage them to change?

If anything becoming aware of global warming should have the opposite affect on the pockets, since by reducing, one by deduction must save money...

I believe everything.
#11 Old 05-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to say I'm actively thinking of more and more ways all the time to reduce my negative environmental impact, but I tend to think about it only incidentally. I'm fairly set in my ways. Not that I wouldn't change if I saw opportunities opening up for me, though.

Once my landlord finally puts insulation in my house, I can move on past that hurdle....

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

since the world's scientists have come to the conclusion that C02 emissions explain about 90 - 95% of observed global warming, I am wondering what in the world is your basis for thinking it is 'made up'. that seems to be a rather indefensible conclusion to me.

and, how is global warming a profit generator? scientists are calling for reduction in the emission of C02, efficiency in energy use, etc. where are they emptying anyone's pockets?
#13 Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

My global warming stocks have tripled since last year.
#14 Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Beginner

My hubby and I are in the midst of what we call "a major simplification". We're greening our home, starting with cellulose insulation and switching to compact flourescents, followed by converting to more efficient appliances and possibly solar panels.

I recently traded my beloved Audi TT for a Toyota Yaris. I've gotten a lot of negative comments about this change, but the Yaris is more gas efficient and produces less emissions, so it's worth it. Hubby is researching an electric car conversion and would like to go electric ASAP.

We've reduced our purchasing volume of just about everything and live in a smaller home than we'd like because we don't NEED more space. We carry canvas shopping bags in our cars, recycle everything we can, give plants as gifts, walk where we can, use rain barrels, electric lawnmower instead of gas. We're of course vegetarians and eat organic when we can.

I'm sure there's more, but we're constantly looking for ways to minimize our impact. The more aware I become, the more angry I am with people who just don't care. I like steaks and fancy cars as much as the next person, but my choices impact the planet and the rest of it's population, so a little sacrifice and personal responsibility is most definitely in order.
#15 Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

since the world's scientists have come to the conclusion that C02 emissions explain about 90 - 95% of observed global warming, I am wondering what in the world is your basis for thinking it is 'made up'. that seems to be a rather indefensible conclusion to me.

In my local tiny-town newspaper, there are articles each week explaining that there is no global warming, only "god's wrath". Maybe this is his/her explanation?
#16 Old 05-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've slowly been making changes in my life that would be more environmental. I try to drive as little as possible, using my bike and the train as my primary transportation. Once my car dies (which my dad is predicting will be soon) I plan on going without one, my boyfriend already does.

I've also been making an concious attempt at reducing what I purchase and what I feel that I "need". That has been a slow processes but I'm getting better!
#17 Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

In my local tiny-town newspaper, there are articles each week explaining that there is no global warming, only "god's wrath". Maybe this is his/her explanation?

That's downright sad.

I believe everything.
#18 Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

Sounds more like letters to the editor to me.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#19 Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post

I've also been making an concious attempt at reducing what I purchase and what I feel that I "need". That has been a slow processes but I'm getting better!

Kudos. If more people would accept that 'want' and 'need' are two quite disparate concepts we would see a lot less wastefulness. Every day I find myself looking at some product or service and saying to myself WTF?!?.

You NEED food, water and air. You want everything else.
#20 Old 05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I knew it! All this time, no one believed me about the mole people. "You're crazy," they said to me, "A world ruled by moles? You're off your rocker!" But I was right! *laughs maniacally*
#21 Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to do as much as I can for someone who can't do much.

We recycle plastics and paper, have a garden (yes- veggies!), and I carpool with a friend a lot since she lives close to me. We also have a woodstove that we might replace soon for a more efficient burning one. And I hope to get a hybrid later on in life.

I believe in global warming, to an extent, the whole Al Gore 'An Inconvient Truth' got me going, but then it has caused a whole lot of controversy about the opposite, so I don't know.

I care about the polar bears who are dying up north, feel for the rainforests being cut down by the acre, and appreciate the people who recycle; I have a green thumb, and am a tree hugger. So yeah I guess you could say I care about the environment. (My neighbors own a saw mill so over time I just gradually began to love trees.)
#22 Old 05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Ahhhhhhhh Sooooooooo Sketchy, you are so right on !!!

I have food, water and air.

I want nothing else.

And my dogs keep the Mole people away.
#23 Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Beginner

Hi there im new here and very passionate about out planet. Im a fully confirmed member of friends of the earth and do campaign with them on a national and local basis. The environment is very important to me, i try to live my life as green as possible and raise my kids to be green.

I recycle my waste best i can, dont own a car, went vegan about a year and half ago, try to save energy as much as possible, take part in awareness raising events, try to shop ethically as possible and have just started growing my own foods (starting with a small herb garden, strawberry bush and a peper plant).

;-)
#24 Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Banned

I seem to be able to "green up" everything in my life but my mail box. Is there a way to get the junk mail and catalogs to stop coming. I know I can recycle, but I don't want the trees cut in the first place. Any suggestions?
#25 Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

I seem to be able to "green up" everything in my life but my mail box. Is there a way to get the junk mail and catalogs to stop coming. I know I can recycle, but I don't want the trees cut in the first place. Any suggestions?

You can register with a company that will take you off junk mailing lists, i found it at friends of the earth www.foe.co.uk sorry i cant be more specific of the addy but searching through there site will take you to the place to fill in the details to get junk mail stopped. Sadly though it dosnt stop the local advertisers pushing junk through your letterbox. Still iv found the amount of junk and cataloges reduced since registering with the foe thing.

Hope it works for you.
#26 Old 05-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

Here in Belgium, if you don't want the "no-name" free mails and catalogs (those that are not addressed directly to you), you can put a sticker on your letter-box saying "NO ADS. THANK YOU". People pretty much respect those. Can't you do that where you are?

And back to the OT, I try to do as much as I can to diminish my environmental print: recycling, organic/local shopping, being a veg, rarely use the car, spare energy/water... And I vote for the green party too!
#27 Old 05-26-2007, 01:38 PM

I get extremely frustrated with the UK and its laid back attitude to the environment. (apart from when elections are upon us...)

I don't care what the rest of the world is doing and how we compare, on a closer scale there seems to be too many easy ways to cut our emissions that just aren't being targeted.

I work in a shop, and it can be frustrating, but i do the best i can.

Compared to big factorys and high rise office buildings leaving lights on etc, i know i'm not contributing the worst, but i would like to not have to give a customer a bag with their purchase.

I'm also frustrated with my local council as we have 1 recycling bin on my whole street compared with 5 normal bins...there should be more fines and taxes on consumption, and the money should be used more for recycling... and less on taking the better options...atm there is too much choice not to. If you get fined £5 for not recycling a plastic bottle, your gonna make sure you do so!

Using plastic should never be the cheapest option...excessive packaging should be monitered. Cars should be more expensive and public transport cheaper. If i had a kid i'd rather them be learning about the world and society than maths and english. Aeroplanes might cause big emissions, but what about the majority of society who don't even see it as a problem and consume vast amounts everyday without a second thought?

Solar power should be government funded, like in Germany. You get an interest free loan to kit out your house, and if you generate more energy and you consume you get to sell it back into the system for a profit.

And the UK & USA should just stop dropping bombs on people....aside from the legality of it...nobody seem's bothered by the harm its doing to the planet.

but then is it too late already?
#28 Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 AM
Banned

Thanks, I found the National Do Not Mail List here in the US. I didn't know we had one.

Now I am as green as I can get until I can save some money up for solar panels.
#29 Old 05-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

xrayspec - the bin thing annoys me too. We're a pretty big family and if we stamp the crap out of our plastic and tins we can just about fit them all in one basket and use the other for paper, but we could really do with another one. If the govt do change to fortnightly pick ups we are screwed.

I'm not sure what to vote, I still live at home and there's only so much I can get my family to do, but I'm always thinking of ways to get them to be better, like growing some veg and fruit, involving my little sister in stamping stuff down for the bins, collecting our glass (we don't use much though) then taking it along when my stepdad goes shopping to throw in the bins, harrassing them not to use so much packaging, etc.

I annoy them somewhat, but it seems to be working
#30 Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:

bwahahaha! I knew it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page