Mute Swans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

This could very well end up in the compost heap, but I heard today on the evening news that "they" are thinking about re-introducing the hunt on mute swans. Legal hunting was banned sometime during the past year because of opposition.

Apparently the non-native water fowl are destroying under water grasses and having an overall negative impact on the eco-system of the Chesapeake Bay and other bay watershed areas.

I'm not sure if I'm for or against this hunting idea (I am pretty much anti-hunting), but I can't seem to wrap my brain around a different solution. I'm sure this has happened where other non-native species have been introduced to an eco system.

Does anybody have a good alternative or experience dealing with a similar situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I read the article in Friends of Animals and it's heart breaking. Why not relocate them? And anyways, lets have open season on New York there's alot of "non-native" people over populating there and having a neg. impact. Not yelling at you. I can't understand why the didn't call in PETA or someone. Right now the hunters are being held up because of things Friends of Animals are doing in the courts. :P
#3 Old 07-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE]I'm not sure if I'm for or against this hunting idea (I am pretty much anti-hunting), but I can't seem to wrap my brain around a different solution. I'm sure this has happened where other non-native species have been introduced to an eco system.

I don´t have a solution. In New Zealand lot´s of native species are nearly extinct because of the indroduction of foreign species. There is only a very small number of Takahe left on the Southern Island.

I live in Cologne and usually go to work out at a small lake. There are lots of species around, ducks, white swans, Canada geese, wild geese, ralls (?) and more. Over the years the population has increased, because people feed the birds. I´m waiting for an ecological desaster, because the lake has no outlet.

These problems are all around the world. Maybe there are lots of small solutions, which can be put into practice in order not to kill the animals.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page