Weed Killer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I live about two blocks, maybe three from Baltimore Harbor (MD, US). Just this past week I saw a neighbor, fortunate enough to have a driveway, spraying Roundup weed killer in her driveway to kill the weeds. I have a problem with this.

1) I used to live two blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, which is in so extremely poor health, it is ridiculous

2) I participate in an Oyster Gardening program to grow oysters to put back into the bay on protected reefs so they can filter our waters and try to restore them and I'm trying to establish a garden on the harbor.

3) I am an animal friend ( I have two dogs). I have never, even when I had a yard and garden, used anything remotely toxic to animals, let's not mention ground water runoff into the bay.

I wanted to kindly ask her if she "knew" what she was doing, but in my furious state, chose to go inside and fume for a while over it for fear that I would totally stick my foot in "it."

What can we do to get people to understand the impact that pesticides and herbacides have on our ecosystem? Anybody else see something similar? How did you handle it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2003, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you could print something off from the internet (I'm sure they have articles with information on the hazards etc.) and offer it to her. Or - if you're shy, mail it to her via post office
#3 Old 06-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Along with dvmarie's idea, maybe include some eco-friendly alternatives. Full strength vinegar sprayed directly on weeds is an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

which is better vinegar or salt???

i have some serious weeds to kill

Caroline
#5 Old 06-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I can vouch for the vinegar idea. I tried to make vinegar/pepper spray for controlling insects in my garden..........it almost wiped out my whole plot (yes, I'm an idiot)
#6 Old 06-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool (not that you almost exterminated your garden), but I had no idea about the vinegar, I'll offer it as an idea.
#7 Old 07-15-2003, 09:47 AM

I once saw my boss take the top off the spray Roundup bottle and pour it next to a sidewalk. It is not a good idea to use salt because vinegar washes through, while salt builds up in the soil and can harm your soil for a long, long time.
#8 Old 07-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Speaking as someone who is still taking in tons of overwhelming info about what is and isn't good for the enviroment, etc, etc.. I can say that even my open minded family laughs off the idea of trying alternative things, such as vinegar for weeds. I've never heard that before and will try it, thus far we've just pulled/weed wacked them.

People like convenience, I'm no exception and every day that I decide this is safer/better/healthier than that, I realize I've created another hurdle for myself and have a mini emotional breakdown. Seriously, this country (US & and some others) is used to colorful packages, slick sales pitches and clear bold explanations of what things are for right on the label. People don't know any better and can't really be expected to, if you talk to this woman chances are she will think you're a rude space cadet and blow it off. I hope not, but that's the reality of it, people don't like to be second guessed and they trust that the things they're presented are safe to use. So long as the government isn't issuing a recall, they'll want to use the Round-up or what not. Hopefully she's open minded though and is happy to find a toxic free solution to her weeds. Good luck.
#9 Old 06-18-2004, 05:47 AM

I suggest that you correct the reactionary ingnorance that is shown in this thread. I invite all of you to read the information that is shown in the link I have provided. It talks about organic farming and Roundup. Roundup as it turns out is not a bad thing for the environment. In fact it is half as toxic as table salt. That's right, you do more environmental damage by putting table salt on weeds than you do by putting Roundup on weeds.

http://www.geocities.com/organic_gardener/roundup.html

It is threads like these that give all you so-called activists a bad name. Research the whole story next time.
#10 Old 06-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_optics View Post

I suggest that you correct the reactionary ingnorance that is shown in this thread. I invite all of you to read the information that is shown in the link I have provided. It talks about organic farming and Roundup. Roundup as it turns out is not a bad thing for the environment. In fact it is half as toxic as table salt. That's right, you do more environmental damage by putting table salt on weeds than you do by putting Roundup on weeds.

http://www.geocities.com/organic_gardener/roundup.html

It is threads like these that give all you so-called activists a bad name. Research the whole story next time.

You should read the whole article you boast about. It also says,

--"But consumers, do not be deceived! There is a malevolent side to Roundups image as the perfect herbicide. First, glyphosate does not break down quickly. It takes 45 days for half of the chemical to degrade, and 6 months for 90% to degrade. It may take up to two years for the glyphosate to degrade entirely. During this time the chemical would be present in the soil in quantities significant enough to rule your garden out of the organic classification. In other words, after a single application of Roundup you will be unable to call your garden organic for up to two years."

I vote to use vinegar instead.
#11 Old 06-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I use vinegar for my weeds. This is what it does after only 3 hrs after i sprayed a test patch of weeds.

Oh, also on that article chris has us look at also says,

--" I hope this article has raised some serious concerns about the use of Roundup in the yard and garden. Maybe some of my questions have reasonable answers from Ortho. Maybe some of them dont have satisfactory answers. You, the consumer, need to decide if you are willing to take a chance and ignore all of these unanswered questions. Oh yeah, dont forget the primary point of this article: Roundup is not a natural product, and can never be used in an organic garden."
#12 Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that is a good picture to show the effects of vinegar. Thanx.

I was just looking for some alternatives to pulling in an area that is kind of over run. I always prefer to do things with my hands when possible, but sometimes it is just more than I have time for.

As far as impacting other's opinions when it comes to the "organic way", I find that leading by example and offering gentle suggestions works the best. Anything beyond that seems to turn people away (and trust me, I've done that enough to know). Fortunately, I am blessed with neighboors who do not seem to use anything on their yard.
#13 Old 07-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Beginner

you should def. talk to that person about it because it is harmful! take action!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page