My Story: How I Quit the Plastic Habit - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Story: How I Quit the Plastic Habit

Quote:
As part of the event I spoke at in May organized by Plastic Free July, I was asked to talk about my own journey in reducing my plastic consumption. One of my favorite topics! It was a great chance to reflect on how my life has changed in the three-plus years since I gave up plastic, and for those of you that couldn’t come along I thought I’d share my story with you here too.
Read the rest here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifest...plastic-habit/

This is inspiring! I've often felt clueless about how to be more environmentally friendly and cut back on plastic packaging and there are so many great tips here.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Plant Powered

I read an article similar to this earlier this year, and it really inspired me too! This is one of those areas where if everyone made at least some of these changes, the situation would improve immensely! In addition to reusable shopping bags, we've also begun to reuse produce bags, buy more in bulk rather than packaged, and make more of our pantry staples and toiletries, etc etc.

Luckily where we live there is a very strict recycling policy as well, so the few things we do use that are plastic get recycled, and the organic/paper stuff gets composted
#3 Old 11-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ahhhh! It hurts me to see how much is garbage! At work we have boxes of plastic spoons, forks knives. I have my set in my lunch bag, not only is it extremely easy, I never complain about my fork or knife being to wimpy!
Bags- I can't remember when I last bought ziploc bags. I do use them-and reuse them in most cases, but only when it's really really useful. I buy things that come in bags and can them just as well.
The only drinks I buy are non dairy milks in cartons. I reuse many other kinds of plastic containers if applicable-like the dark chocolate ginger from Trader Joes makes a nice container for crackers, soft fruits.
I mostly use pyrex but also have those Rubbermaid plastic containers. I wonder how long to keep them? I do microwave them, I mean they're 'meant' to be, but how many times?
I do use the bags they provide for produce, and reuse as much as possible

What gets me is the regulation of what different communities will recycle. They're so different and people aren't nearly as aware as they should be. For instance at work if one item is found in the bin that shouldn't be the entire recycle bin is thrown away by default! that mush happen an awful lot...

For me its living with cats that is so very environmentally unfriendly. I've tried the pine litter- tried to compost it. They didn't like any more than I did!. but that's another story....

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2016, 12:51 AM
Cute fluff

Thanks for sharing this! It added a new challenge on my book!
I was wondering tho, in the supermarkets where I live, you have to weight veggies and print the little label from the machine. How can I avoid the bag that I have to put in the veggies? I don't want to stick the label on them and I can't possibly go to farmers every week (it's not sustainable for me at the moment).
I'm thinking of sticking them on something, like a paper sheet (or something that I can use over and over), and let the cashier scan that. I'd look like a weirdo but hey, whatever?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come visit me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- new weekly content about health, weightloss, fitness and lifestyle. I'd love to read your comments! ♥
#5 Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_SPrincess View Post
Thanks for sharing this! It added a new challenge on my book!
I was wondering tho, in the supermarkets where I live, you have to weight veggies and print the little label from the machine. How can I avoid the bag that I have to put in the veggies? I don't want to stick the label on them and I can't possibly go to farmers every week (it's not sustainable for me at the moment).
I'm thinking of sticking them on something, like a paper sheet (or something that I can use over and over), and let the cashier scan that. I'd look like a weirdo but hey, whatever?
I use a few mesh/cloth produce bags for most of my produce. I wash them and use them again and again. I have about three of them right now and they have lasted me for several years so far. There is not a printed label I have to put on stuff, but at my local Whole Foods Coop there is a sticker you have to put on your bag of produce with a number. But that sticker easily comes off and can be recycled.

Because I only have three cloth produce bags, I tend to pile a lot of produce in there...broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, apples, etc. So the cashier ends up taking everything out one at a time and scanning or entering it and then returning it to the bag. The people in line behind me can get pretty impatient waiting lol. I suppose I could buy ten more mesh bags and separate everything but that would be a waste to me.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#6 Old 11-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Good article, thanks.
#7 Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I use a few mesh/cloth produce bags for most of my produce. I wash them and use them again and again. I have about three of them right now and they have lasted me for several years so far. There is not a printed label I have to put on stuff, but at my local Whole Foods Coop there is a sticker you have to put on your bag of produce with a number. But that sticker easily comes off and can be recycled.

Because I only have three cloth produce bags, I tend to pile a lot of produce in there...broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, apples, etc. So the cashier ends up taking everything out one at a time and scanning or entering it and then returning it to the bag. The people in line behind me can get pretty impatient waiting lol. I suppose I could buy ten more mesh bags and separate everything but that would be a waste to me.
Don't you ever buy sacks of onions that come in the rope type mesh bags?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 11-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Don't you ever buy sacks of onions that come in the rope type mesh bags?
I don't buy that many onions at a time. I usually just buy a few as I won't use a whole bag even in a month. Plus I grow my own onions in my garden and use those at least part of the year. Interestingly, I pulled up the last of my onions a week ago as the big freeze is coming here and our first snowstorm, and I put a few of the onions in the windowsill. One of them has been growing it's green tops like crazy. I finally chopped it last night and added it to my soup.

but yes not all produce can be put in the mesh bags I bring with me. I haven't really figured out a good system for buying stuff like bulk oats or rice, though I reuse the plastic bags at the store for bulk items like that.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#9 Old 11-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Cute fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can do something similar!

Come visit me at
- new weekly content about health, weightloss, fitness and lifestyle. I'd love to read your comments! ♥
#10 Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 PM

I'd like to share but I can't yet since I am new. It mentions using straws for your drink. It is amazing that something so little that we take for granted can actually help save the environment. I used to buy bags of straws about once or twice a month bec my kids like to drink with straws. Now, I've convinced them to drink from the glass and do away with the straws because it is better for the environment. They have not fully grasped it, but then again if I stop stocking straws at home, they will have to do away with it. There is also the paper straw option, but are too pricey, so I won't really be going that route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page