My Environmental Club---I NEED IDEAS - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Beginner

I'm not quite sure where to put this...but here goes...

This year I am president of my environmental club at my high school. My club is getting ready to set up this year's goals and initiatives and I was wondering if any of you have ideas!! I really want to get lots of students involved (even the apathetic ones)...so any ideas would be nice...

we already have a few in action...we're getting environmentally-friendly reusable water bottles to sell (so people stop using bottled water) and we are bringing in a speaker to discuss the election in relation to environmental policy...

but i need more ideas! So please post with anything you can come up with...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2004, 08:37 AM

Does your school already do recycling?

You could collect recyclable items like cans, plastic and paper.

You can even sell this to recyling plants for money

so they may want to participate if the money was used for

a party at school or a group outing....

Everyone will always buy bottled water, canned sodas, etc.

It is more convienent that way but they can save the items

that can be recycled.
#3 Old 08-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Yea, recycling bins can get filled up *very* quickly in school cafeterias. We have them, but I notice that alot of times people still use the regular trash Often, though, that's because they're not emptied enough. So, if you put in recycling bins, empty them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

At my school we did games/exhibits/activities for Earth Day, with prizes (preferably environmentally friendly snacks or something.) It's a good way to get kids involved with learning about the environment. We also sell bagels to earn money on Wednesdays...

Research some field trip places, community service stuff, or protests your club could go to.
#5 Old 08-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, just thought of this... Check your local water. Near me there's a town (Not near a military base, either) where they found chemicals used in rocket production in the water. Have it tested, see if there's anything fishy in there. If something comes up, make noise! Go to the local papers,banner drops, etc. are all useful tools.
#6 Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

See if your school will let you set up an urban wetland area that fills with some of the run off water that the school's paved areas produce. They use peat, water plants, and rocks to filter out some of the pollution that water picks up running over pavement and could offer a starting point to discuss the problem of water pollution and runoff. You could set up a booth at open houses and other school events to give information and raise money to fund the project. If it is successful then it would still be there long after you graduate.

You could also plant plants and create a natural area that encourages local wild life to move in.

If your school won't let you do this, then see if a local elementary school would let you use their land, they could then use the areas to teach the younger children about the environment and local wildlife, and club members could probably even get time off of school to go and teach the children and get them to help tend the areas.
#7 Old 08-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

A public school district in the Twin Cities area started a composting program and it was on the local news program a while back. I can try to find the info if you'd like.
#8 Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! We've actually done most of them though! In the past few years we have made a community garden, set up a compost system (that we taught middle schoolers to take care of,) had a forum on the benefits of local organic, and gotten new recycle bins with lids so that people would be more clear about what goes where. We also set up a UCAN program (i dont know if any of you are familiar.)

I really appreciate all the suggestions, but I need more, because we're running out of new ones!

This fall we will be having a speaker come to discuss both candidates and their environmental policies (or lack of...) But otherwise...i'm not quite sure what to do to get people excited...
#9 Old 09-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

have you done park clean ups? community clean ups? that sort of thing? what about tree plantings for reforestation of an area?

you might even have a plant sale or help people in your school start organic gardens in their homes or on their land. I have a great gardening book for container gardening that can manage a huge amount of herbs around a tiny porch (literally, mine is about 6 ft long and 3 feet wide). my herbs are organic. many of my neighbors now have small gardens on their patios too. it's becoming more popular.

you can grow the veggies/herbs in the gardens you already have, and then sell plants to support your organization, and then offer to help them plant such a garden--if it's goign to be a large scale project.

also, a retirement home may do well to have you come and do a garden for them. CUtting gardens are particularly nice, and you'll have to use raised beds so that they're accessable. This is a great environmental community service project that many people will enjoy.

there's a group in philly called the green guerillas. they do "overnite" community gardens in depressed neighborhoods and empty lots. Then, they maintain the gardens and teach the community to maintain the gardens. It's all on donation. It's really cool. it's like "surprise garden" or something. You could just join your local community garden project and try to build as many as possible throughout your community. See what happens.
#10 Old 09-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

there's a group in philly called the green guerillas. they do "overnite" community gardens in depressed neighborhoods and empty lots. Then, they maintain the gardens and teach the community to maintain the gardens. It's all on donation. It's really cool. it's like "surprise garden" or something. You could just join your local community garden project and try to build as many as possible throughout your community. See what happens.

That's very similar to More Gardens NYC. They take vacant lots, and plant community gardens. The cops come and tear it all up, and the next day they're planting again in full force!
#11 Old 09-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

when you sell the waterbottles you might want to talk about the FDA "requirements" on what goes into the bottled water that ppl buy inmachines. And compare that to the EPA's reqirements, and talk about who enforces more... it may show people, that in many situations your local water supply is safer than the bottled water... might help you sell more bottles

You might want to team up with an enviro group at a local college, they may have more cash to do some interesting things, and they generally have community service reqs to fill, and helping your could be their community service.
#12 Old 09-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

figure out a fundraiser to get the money to sponsor an animal from a sanctuary or an elephant from that sanctuary for retired circus animals or something like that.

or to raise money to adopt a piece of land if there's a program like that near you, and then make monthly outings to clean up that area.

it could be a fun contest or a raffle (get local stores to donate prizes)

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 09-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you thought of having a challenge, like the one in www.davidsuzuki.org ? Might be quite involved, but could be fun. That's what prompted me to go back to being veggie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page