the least of many evils: oil companies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately, living where I am at the moment, I must drive daily, to get to work for one thing. I try to limit my gas consumption by driving a fuel-efficient car, carpooling, walking, biking, taking public transportation whenever possible. That being said, I still must drive daily.

Of course I try to be a conscientous, compassionate consumer as much as possible, so I'm wondering if anyone has done any research on a somewhat ecologically-friendly gas company. I've heard awful things about all the major companies: Sunoco, Exxon-Mobil, etc. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. I read stuff like "Boycott Exxon-Mobil!" and I think, "Okay, then. Where do I go instead?" But no one ever has any answers.

That said, BP seems to be looking forward, so your dollars are going to a slightly more progressive company, if you have one near you. (I don't, but then again, I gave up both my cars about 10 months ago and now I don't have to make that decision anymore... for now)
#3 Old 06-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I generally avoid Exxon-Mobile because of their discrimination policies.

I go to Shell, or Phillips 66 or whatever's cheapest. I don't know which company is the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Beginner

Responsible Shopper lists social and economic issues for which companies have been praised or critized and gives some details on the circumstances. Quite a few large companies are on there, including Exxon, Chevron Texaco, and BP.

http://www.responsibleshopper.org/

Although you'll still probably have to choose the lesser of two evils.
#5 Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the help. i've seen BP's ads touting their eco-consciousness, but i can't help being suspicious. i try to go with whatever's cheapest, when possible, but i often end up at exxon anyway, b/c it would defeat the purpose of trying to help the environment by driving extra miles to look for a better gas station.
#6 Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I generally go for Irving, because they're local. The refinery is right here in town and one of the family mansions is a 5 minute drive away, but that won't help most people, because as oil companies go, it's small beans (though it owns most of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). The name they go by in the rest of Canada and part of the US is Husky. They have their own questionable practices, but as far as I can see they're the least evil around here.
#7 Old 06-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

The number one I discourage is e$$o/Exxon-Mobil. That one is fairly obvious.

The number two is Shell, because of the whole Ken Sarowiwa thing.
#8 Old 06-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Clickman: That was a terrible situation I went to an anti-globalism lecture by the man's son (of the same name). Really inspiring.
#9 Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I read that BP does not support the ANWR drilling and will not sell oil derived from there.
#10 Old 03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Beginner

I'd avoid Exxon and Shell the most.

BP is probably the best of them, but that's a very relative title.
#11 Old 03-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

I generally go for Irving, because they're local. The refinery is right here in town and one of the family mansions is a 5 minute drive away, but that won't help most people, because as oil companies go, it's small beans (though it owns most of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). The name they go by in the rest of Canada and part of the US is Husky. They have their own questionable practices, but as far as I can see they're the least evil around here.

Ugg. When I lived in SJ, every time I drove by Reversing Falls I would remember why I don't buy Irving. They're only the lesser evil because they are smaller. They have deplorable business practices.
#12 Old 03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The other thing is that you can get BP at Arco stations, which means the gas is usually cheaper, too.
#13 Old 03-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I avoid Shell and BP the most. I also tried to avoid Texaco.
#14 Old 03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Why? (part one, not two)
#15 Old 03-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Another good thing would be to find a gas station that offer gas blended with a % (typically 10 or 15%) of ethanol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page